hw transcoding issue 2160p HEVC HDR10 DTSHD 5.1

D34DC3N73R

D34DC3N73R

I'm having a problem with a certain file using hardware accelerated transcoding. It starts with a green screen and sometimes plays a few frames and freezes again. It's also trying to transcode on my shield tv, although I believe it should be capable of direct play (and direct plays using plex). However, I get the same issues when using the web player, so it seems to be more related to the server than the shield client. Or, two separate issues, the transcoding problem, and why it wants to transcode on the shield.

post-374015-0-91203200-1549233282_thumb.jpg

post-374015-0-20345600-1549233372_thumb.jpg

emby-server.txt

Edited by D34DC3N73R

Can you try lowering the in-app quality setting in the web app so that it's transcoded to 1080p? For example try 4 mbps. Please let me know how this compares. thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

The video source that is being played in the log file is HDR (10bit). 

Emby can handle those files in most cases, but there are certain combinations (input video type, video decoder, video encoder, in-between filters) that may not always work as expected.

This is an area which is currently being actively worked on .

As a temporary workaround, you could disable the hw decoder (but not the encoder) in the advanced settings.

D34DC3N73R

Can you think of any reason why this is transcoding on an Nvidia shield? It direct plays using Plex on the shield. When showing stats for nerds it says transcode reason: unsupported audio.

D34DC3N73R

It direct plays all the AC3 Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks but tries to transcode both DTS 5.1 tracks. For comparison, Plex direct plays all tracks, but isn't using hw decoding.

Edited by D34DC3N73R

Is anything else needed to help troubleshoot this issue? it's still present on 4.0.2.0.

[...]

As a temporary workaround, you could disable the hw decoder (but not the encoder) in the advanced settings.

Have you tried this?

D34DC3N73R

Yes, disabling hw HEVC decoding allows the file to play as expected. I'm still curious as to why it's trying to transcode in the first place, but I'll open a separate thread to figure out why DTS audio needs to be transcoded on the shield.

sv3nno
I'm having this exact same issue.

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS x64 virtualized on ESXi 6.5.0

Passthrough Quadro P400, nvidia 410.78 driver (modified with keylase patch)

6 cores, Xeon E5 2660v3

8 GB ram

Emby 4.0.2.0

Using Chrome browser for playback.

1080p HEVC is no problem, and plays without issue using hardware transcoding.

2160p HEVC hardware transcoding is having problems:

With subtitles the transcoding is not fast enough, but thats another story..

Without subtitles it transcodes sufficiently fast enough, around 45 fps.

But the stream suffers from the same things as mentioned, corrupted frames and stuttering.

I'm also using Chrome browser for playback. I tried 1080p 10mbps and 2160p 40mbps, same issue.

Software transcoding the media file works fine, but then again one single stream is using about 5 cores @ 100%.

transcode.txt

post-170302-0-56286300-1551999658_thumb.png

post-170302-0-83284000-1551999664_thumb.png

post-170302-0-88325600-1551999670_thumb.png

post-170302-0-35083700-1551999677_thumb.png

Edited by sv3nno

@@sv3nno - please don't hijack threads. You got a totally different problem.

In your case, there's no transcoding problem. It's either a network or a client problem because this transcode is creating a huge amount of data.

The transcode ran for 8 minutes, creating 1.8 GB of video data.

It works with software encoding because at this time, we're having a significant mismatch between output bitrates of the various encoders (sw and hw).

This requires individual treatment of each encoder's quality settings alongside appropriate configuration options.

I hope we will get to that point soon.

Meanwhile, please try to lower the quality settings in your client to reduce the output bitrate.

• 2 weeks later...