Sudden high memory usage during playback

Rhytox
Go to solution Solved by solabc16,

Hi

I am a longtime Plex user but wanted to give Emby a try because I am experiencing some instability problems with Plex.

I decided to give Premiere a chance (mainly for the hardware transcoding ability).

I have been searching on here for an answer but did not find anything that explains the problem in my case. 

I have a synology DS918+ with 4GB of RAM.

During playback Emby uses about 550 MB of RAM when 1 or 2 transcoding streams are active (CPU +- 20%).

But suddenly it goes up to about +-1.3GB of RAM usage and it does not go down anymore (unless I restart the package).

It's the mono-sgen process that uses all of it.

In attachment you can find 2 logs from two times this happened.

In between those two logs I stopped the Emby package and restarted, everything went back to normal.

My tests are as follows:

1. First play movie via hardware transcoding on laptop

2. keep an eye on ram and cpu usage (everything normal)

3. start transcoding movie on iphone app

4. everything normal

And then it starts to get weird, i have the feeling that mu ram usage goes up when i stop the stream on iphone.

Can somebody please help me because this is concerning me as I share my emby with a friend and I need to make sure when he streams, my hardware won't be stressed to much without my knowledge?

Thanks in advance

Regards

emby log.txt

emby log 2.txt

It also seems to go up when I stream a movie on 1 device, stop the playback, start again (even maybe again stop and start...).

It seems with every stop and start the RAM usage goes up.

As you notice, I can't seem to find the exact cause of the rise in usage, it happens after some activity.

Help would be very much appreciated. 

Regards

Now it is happening again, this time without having any playback.

I was just adding movies to collections and identified 1 movie that was wrongly identified.

Regards

emby log 3.txt

Luke

My apologies for the spam messaging. 

I found a thread which discusses the same behavior as mine with people having the same synology.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/63685-emby-353-on-nas-not-releasing-memory/page-7 

In my case it also seems that mono keeps building up memory without releasing it...

Is there already a solution here, as I can derive rom the conversation, there is not ?

Regards

Hi there, was there an ffmpeg log? can you attach that too? Thanks.

@@Luke

My apologies for the spam messaging. 

I found a thread which discusses the same behavior as mine with people having the same synology.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/63685-emby-353-on-nas-not-releasing-memory/page-7 

In my case it also seems that mono keeps building up memory without releasing it...

Is there already a solution here, as I can derive rom the conversation, there is not ?

Regards