Emby Keeps Changing Server

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

I'm ready to throw this thing out the window.  After the issues with the database upgrade breaking Emby for Kodi, I've been spending the last few hours trying to set up my Brother in Law's Pi.  I started from scratch and have it working, except the stupid thing keeps defaulting back to an internal IP address for the server.

The Pi goes at his house so it needs to hit my DDNS name, but every time I try and do something, it changes the server to 192.168.0.106.   I change it and it changes it back.  I've changed the server and reset the database countless times and no matter how many times I change it to the DDNS name, it just changes it back.

Please help. I really don't want to drive to his house and try and set this up.

Angelblue05

How did you conenct to your server? To change the server info, open the addon settings > emby for kodi > update server info.

Spyderturbo007

If I do that I get this message “Reconnect to the same server that was previously loaded. If you want to use a different server, reset your local database including your user information”.

I go back into the add on and choose Perform Local Database Reset. I followed the prompts deleting everything. It prompts me to reboot. Once rebooted it immediately pops up with the Select Main Server. I choose “Manyally add Server” and enter my information and hit Connect.

When I do that it says “Connecting to” the dialog box disappears and comes right back again. Asking me to “Select Main Server”. At that point I’m caught in a loop. I tried entering garbage into the address just to be sure and got the “Unable to connect to server” when using some random website.

I know it’s working because I can connect with other devices both inside and outside my network.

Oh, I also tried with my IP address (as opposed to DNS) and get stuck in the same loop.

Edited by Spyderturbo007

Angelblue05

Are you trying to connect to a different Emby server? If not, then why are you doing a reset? You just have to follow the prompt, enter the address, you are done?

Let me test manual server upon a reset. Checking right now.

Angelblue05

@@Spyderturbo007

Can you provide the Kodi log of you trying to manual add the server upon starting Kodi. Create that loop, because I can't seem to make it happen. It moves on to the user selection.

Spyderturbo007

I'm doing a reset because everything was all messed up from the v4 database upgrade.  I took that time to update LibreELEC to v9.

How do I get the log off of the Pi?

Got it.

log-2019-02-03-01.29.21.zip

Edited by Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

I actually just copied it over the network and attached it to my previous post.  I'm hoping that's what you need.

Thank so much for your help.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Just to recap what you see visually. You start Kodi, the connection dialog opens, you select Manual server, enter the server address > then it brings you back to that original connection dialog. You then select the server listed and what happens then? Or does the server never appear listed (above emby connect, manual server)?

Edited by Angelblue05

I'm ready to throw this thing out the window.  After the issues with the database upgrade breaking Emby for Kodi, I've been spending the last few hours trying to set up my Brother in Law's Pi.  I started from scratch and have it working, except the stupid thing keeps defaulting back to an internal IP address for the server.

The Pi goes at his house so it needs to hit my DDNS name, but every time I try and do something, it changes the server to 192.168.0.106.   I change it and it changes it back.  I've changed the server and reset the database countless times and no matter how many times I change it to the DDNS name, it just changes it back.

Please help. I really don't want to drive to his house and try and set this up.

I was having a similar problem yesterday in setting up an install that I wanted to give to a family member. Id manually put in my DDNS blahblah.blahblah.com:8096 so they could connect remotely, and it would work and connect but default back to my internal IP 192.168.X.X in the settings as soon as it connected with the server on my local netwrok. In the end after I made sure it was all working I just turned off emby server, and then went into Kodi and changed the internal IP back to my blahblah.blahblah.com:8096 and did not reconnect to the server on my home network. Seemed to work fine  and the settings stick without reverting back to the internal IP if the server is off, and it connected fine remotely as well once my family plugged it in on their end.

Spyderturbo007

When I boot the machine I get the dialog that shows Tower in the window automatically. If I choose that, I get connected to 192.168.0.106. This box goes to my Sister’s house so I need the DDNS name.

I’ll hit Manually add Server and enter the DDNS name, it connects and brings me back to the same screen that still just says Tower. If I connect to that anyway, it still connects me to 192.168.0.106.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Can you try this build. Enter the manual server > then connect to the server Tower. Does it connect using the local ip? 

If so, can you try to do a local database reset again erase the saved emby settings. Let me know if it helps.

plugin.video.emby-4.0.3b.zip

Edited by Angelblue05

When I boot the machine I get the dialog that shows Tower in the window automatically. If I choose that, I get connected to 192.168.0.106. This box goes to my Sister’s house so I need the DDNS name.

I’ll hit Manually add Server and enter the DDNS name, it connects and brings me back to the same screen that still just says Tower. If I connect to that anyway, it still connects me to 192.168.0.106.

yep, exact same here. before you pass it off to your sister, just stop the server, start kodi and then go into the addon settings and manually change it back to the ddns. then shutdown and hand it over. i did this yesterday and it was all ok.

Angelblue05

I think the issue is that it's set to retry the last connection found, but by default the first time around, that is always local and so it completely ignores the manual server. That's what I adjusted in the build I've given you. I just need to know if it makes a difference, if so I'll properly patch it.

Edited by Angelblue05

I hope this is the right place ... I'm having the same / similar problem. After the emby kodi update I can't connect to my emby server. I was on Librelec 8.1x thought the add on is not compatible with that version updated to Librelec 9.0 and still the same. What ever I do no way to get this up and running. Uninstalled, reset, etc etc.

Any hint / help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Log file: https://paste.kodi.tv/kiporuhive

Angelblue05

The add-on itself looks fine. You have a lot of connection errors. And script colorbox seems to be complaining about missing directories. It seems to slow down Kodi in general. Is it connected to the web?

no it's not connected to the web ... and in general I'd say it's fast didn't experience any slow downs ... thanks for looking into to it.

Spyderturbo007

This should be resolved with 4.0.4. Please keep me posted, thank you.

This also might help you get this setup going without too much difficulty

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/wiki/create-and-restore-from-backup

Thanks Angelblue05, that resolved the DDNS issue. I appreciate all you're help!

I'm having another problem with it though that I couldn't fix before I gave it back.  I'm not sure what problems this will cause, so I might have to get it back from her.

Every time it boots, I get two successive messages.  

"Install the server plugin Kodi companion to automatically apply emby library updates at startup.  This setting can be found in the add-on settings > sync options > Enable Kodi Companion."

Followed by "You can update your library manually rather than rely on the server plugin Kodi companion.  Launch the add-on and update libraries (or per library).  To remote content, you'll need to repair the library".

I enabled the Kodi Companion but every time I reboot, it's turned off again.  Any thoughts?

• Like 1

This should be resolved with 4.0.4. Please keep me posted, thank you.

This also might help you get this setup going without too much difficulty

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/wiki/create-and-restore-from-backup

Do you also need to generate a new device ID if you are cloning your setup on to another install? I cant see it mentioned in that link, but I found I was getting authentication errors after cloning to another install if both were running at the same time.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Do you also need to generate a new device ID if you are cloning your setup on to another install? I cant see it mentioned in that link, but I found I was getting authentication errors after cloning to another install if both were running at the same time.

Yes if you clone your setup you’ll need to generate a new device id. I will add this to the FAQ