Auto-Organize Plug-In - What does it do?

JaScoMa

JaScoMa

Hello..

I've looked in the forums as well as the Wiki, but I can't find anything on what this plug-in does.  

How does this plug-in work and what does it accomplish?

Thank you..

mastrmind11

It watches a folder external to Emby, and adds any media that is placed in that folder to Emby.

• Like 1

roberth58

If you do a search on auto-organize you will find it's also one of the most problematic parts of Emby. When it works it's great but when it doesn't you will get the standard "it's a community plugin, your free to fix it yourself". Personally I gave up on it a while ago. Checkout "TV Rename 2.7.1" and "tinyMediaManager 2.9.15" I am very pleased with both of them and they have improved my Emby experience 1000%. 

The core emby team simply does not have the bandwidth to spend much time on auto organize. We are looking for community help with it. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
GaryDZ

If you do a search on auto-organize you will find it's also one of the most problematic parts of Emby. When it works it's great but when it doesn't you will get the standard "it's a community plugin, your free to fix it yourself". Personally I gave up on it a while ago. Checkout "TV Rename 2.7.1" and "tinyMediaManager 2.9.15" I am very pleased with both of them and they have improved my Emby experience 1000%.

I know this is an old message... but I have a few NEWBY questions about "TV Rename and "tinyMediaManager.

I am running a Windows 7 HTPC. I have a premium membership to EMBY, but I still think Windows Media Center (WMC) is hard to beat for local play back and Channel guide. I use Schedule Direct for EPG.

Also--- EMBY does not support Channels with DRM so I can not watch some of the news stations I like

I use Emby for accessing my recorded TV and live TV when traveling and have it set up to use my WMC recorded TV directory as a Play Back folder

I use WMC for all of my Cable TV recordings. (HDHomeRun Pime)

I read the wiki for TV Rename. but found more questions than answers.

1) How are these these 3rd party software packages making your Emby experience so much better. Will they make WMC experience better as well?

2) Do you know if I let it manage my WMC folders and recordings -- if WMC will still be able to show the recorded shows in it's menus?

Thanks for any help/Advice.

@@cayars

If you haven't dug in to deeply with a file rename yet may I suggest you give FileBot a good look? https://www.filebot.net

It's really good for both movies and shows.  It can be used with a GUI (point and click or drag and drop) or from the command line which is nice for automation.

DRM is a problem across the board for nearly all DVRs on the market due to the cost and lack of flexibility in being able to play the files back on anything other than what recorded it.  You won't see this changing in the future unfortunately.

One thing I might suggest if possible is try using Emby for recording everything that's not on a DRM channel so that you'll get the full EPG data and the file will be immediately available and also playable while being recorded which is a nice plus.

Also I'd suggest when setting up in Emby to use the built in guide data vs mucking around with Schedule Direct which adds complications not needed in Emby.

By breaking up the recording this way you can leave the DRM channels alone and in WMC and not touch them and of course you won't have to rename anything in Emby as it already stores it's own files in the correct format and naming!  This should give you the best of "both worlds".

Carlo

• Like 2

Anthony Musgrove

Looks like something I may take on after ScripterX development lifecycle dies down

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
kingy444
On 03/02/2019 at 03:53, Luke said:

The core emby team simply does not have the bandwidth to spend much time on auto organize. We are looking for community help with it. Thanks.

You still taking pull requests for this @Luke ?

I have taken the liberty of fixing a few issues I had come across myself but would be willing to spend some time addressing other things in this space if there is a list of issues (aside from those on git)

Should be ready for a pull request within the week - just wasn’t sure if you had any pre-requisites you needed before doing that.

i know the team moved away from complete open source a while ago but assume plugins are still welcome as community contributions?

Edited by kingy444
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 5:05 AM, kingy444 said:

You still taking pull requests for this @Luke ?

I have taken the liberty of fixing a few issues I had come across myself but would be willing to spend some time addressing other things in this space if there is a list of issues (aside from those on git)

Should be ready for a pull request within the week - just wasn’t sure if you had any pre-requisites you needed before doing that.

i know the team moved away from complete open source a while ago but assume plugins are still welcome as community contributions?

Yes certainly: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.AutoOrganize

• 4 weeks later...
AdrianW

Please can we get Auto Organize to copy external subtitle files along with video files.

The easiest solution is to just copy any files that are identically named as the video files and apply the same renaming logic to them.

Edited by AdrianW
  • Like 2

kingy444
On 11/05/2021 at 21:19, AdrianW said:

Please can we get Auto Organize to copy external subtitle files along with video files.

The easiest solution is to just copy any files that are identically named as the video files and apply the same renaming logic to them.

Looking in to it but unfortunately I don’t think it’s going to be that easy given the way the plugin is written. I think I need to expand and add as its own capability.

I want this for myself too so you can be sure I want to find time for it, just time poor atm.

I have submitted a pull with some new features and bug fixes in the mean time. Assume much like I, Luke and co will need to find time to accept and merge.

One feature that will need testing will be ‘Allow TBA episodes’ - I have tested best I could but need to find data from tvdb etc what is first named ‘TBA’ and then later gets updated. Luke has advised a meta refresh shouldn’t be needed but obviously be nice to see that in action :)

this feature will stop emby moving an episode until it has a useful name. It could be annoying to some so has been enabled by default, but by disabling it episodes won’t be stored (and therefore named) until a name is available. (Essentially I have a lot of media named episode.s01.e02…TBA.mp4 and I hate that the real episode name is not there)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...