Title matching - custom regular expression?

bellocarico

bellocarico

Is it possible to customise the title matching?

Moving from Plex to Emby and even on Plex I had issues before.

My library is very consistent, one folder name properly containing video/subtitles/poster. The folder is always named as follow:

English title (Original title) [year]

but if no original title is present then it's just

Title [year]

As I understand extracting the tile to be used for movieDB/IMDB query it's just a regular expression against the folder name. Can this be customised so that i can make my library be matched out-of-the-box?

Thanks

PenkethBoy

Hi

Have a read of this as it gives you an idea of what Emby supports  https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie-naming - also there are several other Wiki's on various aspects of Emby 

If you are having problems try changing [year] to (year) and (orig title) to either [original title] or "Moviename (year) - Original Title"

If you follow the WIKI guidance on folder and file naming then you will have Zero problems unless your have some very obscure content

Try it on a couple of sample videos

Edited by PenkethBoy
  • Like 1

bellocarico

I did read incidentally that link before posting.

To be fair with Plex it was the same issue and when I originally asked got some "nasty" comments back in the well known Plex attitude.

I see here at Emby a way better collaboration though so I thought about asking any ways :-)

My question boils down to: would it be possible to give the user the (advanced) option to provide a parsing string (regex) where Emby can extract the perfect info for title matching?

That's all

Thanks again for the quick! :)

PenkethBoy

There is nothing like that available - it could be added if there was enough demand.....

But its not needed if you change your naming scheme to be closer to the norm - which would also work in Plex  :P

There are several threads on these forums - where people have "non Standard" naming schemes and have issues with movies/tv shows not being identified correctly.

if you were to change your naming (the app filebot can help with this) then your need would go away and life would be easier.

My question boils down to: would it be possible to give the user the (advanced) option to provide a parsing string (regex) where Emby can extract the perfect info for title matching?

Possibly in the future but, honestly, supporting something like that would likely be a nightmare for us.  It would allow people to completely break their systems very easily and we'd end up spending a lot of time trying to troubleshoot it.

• Like 1

bellocarico

Thanks for the answers!

Let's say I have a "large" library. Changing naming convention for me is a big big hassle as I have scripts that automate e.g. file renaming etc.

If I have to rewrite everything because my folders have changed naming convention it has a big impact.

I don't want to sound stubborn and I didn't look at the code, but what else could it be other than a regular expression you currently run to get the tiles to be used got moviedb queries?

I do see how screwing up this regex will generate lots of questions and posts on this forum, likewise you would prevent some questions like mine as naming convention is a hot topic. Have the possibility to customise this to adapt to user need would make emby step forward against other similar software.

As a bottom line but you could just have it as "advanced settings" with a warning pop up and especially a big nice "Restore default" button :-)

my 2 cents

Regardless emby is a great software I do prefer it to Plex indeed!

bellocarico

Hi there, can you give some examples of your file names?

I do not refer to file but folders only. In my library (like I believe many other users) folder names are relevant, the content of it not really.

This works out of the box:

Quit staring at my plate (Ne gledaj mi u pijat) [2016]

Where this one for some reason is not matched::

Question of luck (Cuestión de suerte) [1996]

Thanks!

Ok i see what you're saying. Moviedb does not have Question of Luck.

I'm going to give you a practical answer. The audience for this type of customization is so small, that you are probably better off just renaming the folder. If you change it to:

Cuestión de suerte [1996]

Then it should work, as MovieDb does have this title.

bellocarico

I got to the same conclusion, but for me it would be great if emby would "attempt" different match pattern.

I kind of figure out my naming convention confuses emby (and plex) but if the emby admin would be given a 2nd/3rd/etc attempt in matching the title via custom-additional-optional regular expressions that can be an automated solution without asking users to rename their libraries.

As mentioned mine is a large library, really not practical to rename everything and adjust all the scripts I have.

bellocarico

Welcome and thanks for listening :-)

A final question if I can: is there any easy way to report on unmatched titles?

e.g. say I import all my library i would like to tackle manually what it hasn't bee match automatically. Any easy way to achieve this?

Thanks

Not at this point but it's possible for the future. The reports plugin might have some filters like for movies missing movie db id's, but I don't recall for sure.

bellocarico

Just following up on this topic:

in my library I have as a preference: TheMovieDB first and second OMDB.

The title we discuss: "Question of luck" is not in the TheMovieDB agreed, but it can be found in the OMDB.

so.... shouldn't the agent attempt OMDB if the first agent fails?

Many thanks again  :-)

bellocarico

Well as discussed above the movie wasn't match and in the preferences I had TheMovieDB first. I do see the title available (in English) on ODBM though so I guess it didn't attempt this second agent.

BTW "I meant Fail to match" not software failing.

Thanks!!

In your mind "fails to match" means it may have matched to the wrong item.

In the computer's mind, that is still a match.

Things almost never completely fail to match as results are usually returned by the providers (even if way off).

So, we could potentially report on items that truly find no match (meaning no particular provider ID) but this may not really give you what you want.

bellocarico

Actually fail to match in this case means to me: not found

So if TheMoviDB can not match the string provided i was expecting OMDB to be asked afterwards but this of course was not the case. hence my post :-)

I got to the same conclusion, but for me it would be great if emby would "attempt" different match pattern.

I kind of figure out my naming convention confuses emby (and plex) but if the emby admin would be given a 2nd/3rd/etc attempt in matching the title via custom-additional-optional regular expressions that can be an automated solution without asking users to rename their libraries.

As mentioned mine is a large library, really not practical to rename everything and adjust all the scripts I have.

I just helped a guy the other night rename 6 thousand movies and about 22 thousand tv episodes. Filebot can be scripted and does a great job with this type of thing.  If you're running on windows it's pretty easy to use from the command line and can be integrated into your scripts hopefully without to much trouble.

As others have mentioned, long term you're going to be much better off changing to a more conventional style of filenames that pretty much every media server supports.

bellocarico

I just helped a guy the other night rename 6 thousand movies and about 22 thousand tv episodes. Filebot can be scripted and does a great job with this type of thing.  If you're running on windows it's pretty easy to use from the command line and can be integrated into your scripts hopefully without to much trouble.

As others have mentioned, long term you're going to be much better off changing to a more conventional style of filenames that pretty much every media server supports.

I have been ignoring this advice for too long now. But I admit everybody is telling me the same; rename and simplify your life.

I have a so called "complex folder structure": https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie-naming

So let me ask 2 question. For simple (single) title movies it's a no brainer:

Case 1) If a movie it's called:

Question of luck [1996] -->  becomes  --> Question of luck (1996)

But to be fair even without modifying the year brackets this already works in emby.

Case 2) If a movie instead has 2 names (English and original) What would I have to transform this into?

Question of luck (Cuestión de suerte) [1996] --> becomes --> ?

I don't want to have a single name as I occasionally run searches in the filesystem on either languages.

P.S. is emby ok referring to the folder name only or does the media file/s need to be removed as well (this would be a massive pain for me though)

What would I have to transform this into?

Rule of thumb is use the name that you see on MovieDb for movies, and tvdb for Series.

mina9000

I have been ignoring this advice for too long now. But I admit everybody is telling me the same; rename and simplify your life.

I have a so called "complex folder structure": https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie-naming

So let me ask 2 question. For simple (single) title movies it's a no brainer:

Case 1) If a movie it's called:

Question of luck [1996] -->  becomes  --> Question of luck (1996)

But to be fair even without modifying the year brackets this already works in emby.

Case 2) If a movie instead has 2 names (English and original) What would I have to transform this into?

Question of luck (Cuestión de suerte) [1996] --> becomes --> ?

I don't want to have a single name as I occasionally run searches in the filesystem on either languages.

P.S. is emby ok referring to the folder name only or does the media file/s need to be removed as well (this would be a massive pain for me though)

bellocarico

Rule of thumb is use the name that you see on MovieDb for movies, and tvdb for Series.

Mine is the 1.000.000 dollar question and yours the 1.000.000 dollar answer :)

Looking for automation really I can't go through all the titles manually.

I'm wondering if renaming the media file (not folder) would help e.g. what has the preference while matching folder names or media names?