Synology cant access outside the network

Pain
Go to solution Solved by Pain,

I have Emby up and running but not clear how to access it outside the network. Never had Synology before, so I am totally new to this. Thanks for any help.. I get error unable to connect. I do have a VPN setup in Synology.

Edited by Pain

Happy2Play

If I disable my VPN all is good. How do I open ports on the VPN?

Depends on whether your vpn service allows portforwarding.  What service do you use?

Depends on whether your vpn service allows portforwarding.  What service do you use?

I am using torguard. I have forward a port but still can not get it figured out..

I have tried and read and reread and still can not get this sorted out. I have the port forwarded from TorGuard and the IP is the same as the IP WAN in Emby. I can connect thru the Torgard IP on a local lan. But anything out of the network can not connect. I think it has something to do with the .ovpn file I have to create at TorGuard website. There a couple options I am not clear about. One thing, if I turn off the VPN everything works great, that tells me no firewalls blocking and I have my router port set right. Please help, I am so close...

I got this sorted finally. Torguard walked me thru it. I guess on the Synology you cant use a socks5 IP.. So I used iplocation.net to find a IP from the list of servers from TorGuard and then pinged a IP til I found one I liked. Now Im having lag issues, buffering. I have tried a few IPs and its not making a difference. Only on Live TV do I get buffering or lag spikes..

solabc16

Hello @@Pain

Thanks for the update. For the media that isn't buffering, what format is it in - is it being transcoded? What bit-rate?

Best

- James

All the movies I have are in mkv and work fine. Some clients need transcoding and some dont I think. The live TV I am using m3u IPTV and having buffering issues. I just rebooted the Synology and so far no buffering. But its been only 10min lol...

@luke  I was watching a movie and it kept freezing up and then skipping all over the place, I tried another movie and the same thing. Switched from the FireTV to the Roku Ultra and same thing, I had no problems when I was using the nvidia shield as a server. I thought for sure this Synology would be a upgrade. Anyways I attached a couple logs, can you take a look and see whats wrong? Live TV is works fine, only when I run the VPN I get lag spikes, if I disable the VPN TV works great. I have a ticket open with TorGuard right now on that part.

Thanks

Log.txt

ffmpeg.txt

Edited by Pain

I turned the bitrate down to 5mbs. That caused the server to transcode, but didn't fix anything. Did you look at the log you have any idea what it could be?

The log seems to suggest something wrong with that particular file:

[matroska,webm @ 0x1676e00] Invalid EBML number size tag 0x08 at pos 4561012362 (0x10fdb868a)

solabc16

Hello @@Pain

Live TV is works fine, only when I run the VPN I get lag spikes,

So, does everything work ok when you don't have the VPN running? What Synology model do you have?

It doesn't seem the Synology setup is where we need to be focusing our attention.

In your setup, what impact is the VPN you have in place having on latency, jitter and packet loss? Do you need to adjust the MTU on your Synology system?

Best

- James

It's the DS218+ Live TV is the only problem I have when the VPN is active. It gets jittery. Turned off live TV is fine. The VPN is turned off disabled and still cannot watch movies. so I don't think it would be the VPN when it's disabled. I have no clue what MTU means I'm very new to Synology.

I have emby running on my Nvidia shield also and when I switch servers I have no problems with the Nvidia shield watching movies.trying to switch from the Nvidia shield to the Synology. So eventually the Nvidia shield will not have the server on it.

It sounds to me like the VPN needs to be configured to allow the traffic.

Even if the VPN is disabled? Should I remove it and try?

If the VPN is disabled that's different, but i thought you already said earlier it was fine under those conditions.

If the VPN is disabled that's different, but i thought you already said earlier it was fine under those conditions.

Yes I did say that sorry. I spoke prematurely, after attempting to watch a full movie I then noticed the problems like pixelating and jumping forward 10-15 minutes randomly. At lest I thought it was random, now I notice this is happening at the same exact spot on this movie regardless what client I use. I did try another movie last night and it did the same thing. Is there like a encryption on the Synology shard folders that could be doing this? Like I said I am a full blown n00b on this Synology. I been a windows user HTPC for years and then moved to the Shield last year and now this. I started out with Windows Media Center HTPC Windows, then Playon on HTPC Windows, then Plex on HTPC and Nividia Shield and now Emby on Nividia Shield and now on Syonlogy. Thats my history anyways. Thanks for your help!!

Thanks Pain

solabc16

Hello @@Pain

Thanks for the updates, the DS218+ is a capable machine and will run Emby Server well, including h/w assisted transcoding if you have an Emby Premiere license.

We should probably take a few steps back at this point.

As a starting point, I would use the Emby Web UI from your local LAN and make sure that you can access and playback all of the media you intend to. Once you've confirmed that, try playing back the same media on the devices you intend to use - again, on your local network.

That will give us a baseline to work from and make sure we tackle the right problem.

In terms of configuring remote access (without a VPN), the outline steps here are a good reference : https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/67010-remote-user-cannot-see-content/?p=693732

Best

- James

• Solution

Sorwy for the delay in reply.

Thank you for the help. It looks like I have it all sorted out now. I guess somehow most of my movies got corrupted in the file transfer. (it only took me 100 hours to figure out) after replacing the corrupted movies with the backup I have yet to run in to a problem streaming movies local or remotely. I ended up getting a new router and flashing with DD-WRT I was able to setup VPN in the router. TorGuard has the best support I have ever seen!! They also offer a Dedicated IP with port forwarding and now I am able to watch Netflix amd Amazon TV. I can even stream Emby outside the network. Perfect!

The only issue I have "right now" is live TV, when exiting the guide you can still here the sound sometimes from the show and the only way to get it to stop would be reboot the Fire TV.

Thanks for all your help. Switching from Plex to Emby was worth it... Family and I all like Emby much better..