Issue in Font Style

iBoss

Hi,

Please see the attached image "issue.png" .. it will explain everything :)

I have attached the ASS file for the test

I have attached the transcode files for: iOS, Apple TV, Android TV, Android mobile

The Log is attached

Server: Ubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS

Emby Version 4.0.1.0

iOS,Apple TV and Android Mobile: latest update

Android TV: 1.6.79g

post-134723-0-93063700-1549041795_thumb.png

subtitle.ass.zip

iOS.zip

Android Mobile.zip

Apple TV.zip

Android TV.zip

embyserver.txt

• Like 1

what happens if it direct plays to the mobile apps instead of transcoding? how does that compare?

Direct plays on iOS, AppleTV and Android Mobile it shows the font correctly

Transcode play on iOS, AppleTV and Android mobile it shows the font correctly

The issue only on Android TV, it shows different font :(

Edited by iBoss

Hi.  The Android TV app supports that subtitle format but only with basic text display - it does not support the formatting.

Hi.  The Android TV app supports that subtitle format but only with basic text display - it does not support the formatting.

It supports the the style formatting, but the problem how the server behave with the Android TV.

Did you read the transcode file? In Android TV, actually does not use basic text. I'll explain

first to make it clear: in my issue there is two separate files mkv and ass file (the ass not embedded inside mkv)

this is how it works

- In Android mobile, iOS and Apple TV:

• In transcoding: the server transcode the video without burn the subtitle -> it will send the transcoded video to the emby client + ass -> the emby will show the font correctly
  • In Direct: the server send the video to the emby client + ass -> the emby will show the font correctly

- In Android TV:

• In transcoding: the server will burn the subtitle ass using server font "/var/lib/emby/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf" .. why?!!! the server should behave same as above: send transcoded video + ass file to emby Android TV

(so the font is showing is not a plain text, it is a full styling text but with different font "DroidSansFallback.ttf").

• In Direct: the server always transcode the video, there is no Direct stream even I set the bitrate max.

there is approve that Android TV support the formatting: if I embed the ass file inside mkv ... the Android TV will show the subtitle font correctly but other issue will happened with other devices; I'll talk about it later, now lets please focus to solve this issue.

Please do me a favor, just update the emby server beta to force it when transcode the video for Android TV, don't burn the subtitle -> just send it with ass separately as other emby clients. if you did it I'll test it (I'm very sure it will work)

Make sure to run a library scan after adding the new subtitle file.

I did .. and when I play the video the subtitle is there and selected but it is not shown

Also I would like to inform, this video file I have it will direct play on max. bitrate on iOS, Apple Tv and Android Mobile .... but on Android TV is always transcoded even with max bitrate (even I remove the subtitle file, it is always transcoded). Is this normal? why other devices can play it direct but Android TV can't?

If you want, I can send you the video file

Edited by iBoss

The ffmpeg log indicates an unsupported video profile and I see it is reported as level 6.2 which is higher than anything the app has encountered before (5.x).

Edit: Sorry, was looking at wrong part of log - the video is only level 4.1 so I don't know why it is reporting an unsupported profile level...

There is no subtitle requested in those logs either so I'm not sure what would be up with that if you actually did turn them on in the interface.

Okay, now I see it - this is h264 High 10 which is not currently recognized by the app.  I may have to investigate what devices will support it.

There is no subtitle requested in those logs either so I'm not sure what would be up with that if you actually did turn them on in the interface.

I have turn on the subtitle from the interface but nothing change. it works with other devices

Okay, now I see it - this is h264 High 10 which is not currently recognized by the app.  I may have to investigate what devices will support it.

I have these devices and I have test it with them:

- iOS: Direct play works.

- Apple TV: Direct play works.

- Android Mobile: Direct play works.

- Android TV: Direct play does not work

--------

Do you want from me to send the video file to you?

Thanks

Edited by iBoss

@@ebr @@Luke

In brief, let me explain everything:

Scenario 1 : Video file only:

- iOS, AppleTV and Android Mobile:

• Max. bitrate: Direct play (Perfect)
  • low bitrate: Transcoded (Perfect)

- Android TV:

• Max. bitrate: Transcoded (need to be fixed)
  • low bitrate: Transcoded (Perfect)

Scenario 2 : Video file + ASS:

• Max. bitrate: Direct play and subtitle is shown with its style (Perfect)
  • low bitrate: Transcoded and subtitle is shown with its style (subtitle not burn in ... thats really good :) .. it send to client as it is) (Perfect)

- Android TV:

• Max. bitrate: Transcoded and subtitle burn in with different font (font from the server) (need to be fixed)
  • low bitrate: Transcoded and subtitle burn in with different font (font from the server) (need to be fixed)

Scenario 3 : Video file + SRT:

• Max. bitrate: Direct play and subtitle is shown (Perfect)
  • low bitrate: Transcoded and subtitle is shown (subtitle not burn in ... thats really good :) .. it send to client as it is) (Perfect)

- Android TV:

• Max. bitrate: Transcoded and subtitle is not shown (need to be fixed)
  • low bitrate: Transcoded and subtitle is not shown (need to be fixed)

-------------------

Please Download this file

The link is zip file which contain three files:

• video
  • srt
  • ass
Edited by iBoss

Thanks for the sample.  Both subtitles work fine for me in the app now.  There was a fix that went out earlier today in beta that may be related to this.

As for the transcoding, as I mentioned above, this is due to the profile being something unexpected (h264 High 10).  I will test your sample on various devices to see if that profile can play.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, that item will not play reliably on either my Mi or Shield due to the high 10 profile.  The right thing to do here is transcode it which makes it play fine.

Unfortunately, that item will not play reliably on either my Mi or Shield due to the high 10 profile.  The right thing to do here is transcode it which makes it play fine.

yes I know it is high 10 profile ... but why is working on Android Mobile and not on Android TV, is they both use same player mpv? or because the graphic chip?

Android TV uses Exoplayer as it is built by Google for the platform and supports a wider range of features.  MPV doesn't support anything other than stereo audio on the TV platform right now.

Android TV uses Exoplayer as it is built by Google for the platform and supports a wider range of features.  MPV doesn't support anything other than stereo audio on the TV platform right now.

Ok I understand .. now it makes sense  :)

Thanks for the sample.  Both subtitles work fine for me in the app now.  There was a fix that went out earlier today in beta that may be related to this.

Many thanks ... appreciate your work, I'm really excited to try it. It is a beta for the emby server, right?

Edited by iBoss

Oh, I dont have it. Can I install both a stable and beta app on the same device?

On a Fire TV, yes.  On a Google Device, i don't think so.

I have tried the emby Android TV beta

the subtitle (ASS and SRT) appeared but ..

If I play the video from beginning without any forward/backward it will be synced correctly.

If I just make one click forward/backward it will not be synced correctly

Question about ASS ... so Android TV player does not have feature to display ASS styling :(?

Edited by iBoss