Hi. The Android TV app supports that subtitle format but only with basic text display - it does not support the formatting.
It supports the the style formatting, but the problem how the server behave with the Android TV.
Did you read the transcode file? In Android TV, actually does not use basic text. I'll explain
first to make it clear: in my issue there is two separate files mkv and ass file (the ass not embedded inside mkv)
this is how it works
- In Android mobile, iOS and Apple TV:
- In transcoding: the server transcode the video without burn the subtitle -> it will send the transcoded video to the emby client + ass -> the emby will show the font correctly
- In Direct: the server send the video to the emby client + ass -> the emby will show the font correctly
- In Android TV:
- In transcoding: the server will burn the subtitle ass using server font "/var/lib/emby/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf" .. why?!!! the server should behave same as above: send transcoded video + ass file to emby Android TV
(so the font is showing is not a plain text, it is a full styling text but with different font "DroidSansFallback.ttf").
- In Direct: the server always transcode the video, there is no Direct stream even I set the bitrate max.
there is approve that Android TV support the formatting: if I embed the ass file inside mkv ... the Android TV will show the subtitle font correctly but other issue will happened with other devices; I'll talk about it later, now lets please focus to solve this issue.
Please do me a favor, just update the emby server beta to force it when transcode the video for Android TV, don't burn the subtitle -> just send it with ass separately as other emby clients. if you did it I'll test it (I'm very sure it will work)