Chromecast problem

pbrouty

I am using the latest Chrome version 72 on Linux and the latest Emby server version. The chromecast icon in emby does not present an option to connect to my chromecast. Only has "my device" option, which does nothing. I also have Chromium 71 (hasn't been updated to 72) and it still works with chromecast in emby.

Chromecast is found by other video sites and youtube in Chrome 72. But in version 72, Chromecast link popup is different than in previous chrome version. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks for your response. I have restarted my browser, and emby server, and Chromecast. Still the same. I've looked for a setting somewhere,but can't find anything. Like I said,it works fine on Chromium, which is at version 71. It must be something with Chrome 72.

Ok, thanks. In my Chrome browser, when I click on the cast icon in emby, I only have one option "My Device". In Chromium, I have 2 options, "My Device" and "Chromecast". And the chromecast option works with casting emby. I'll just use Chromium when I want to cast and see what the next Chrome update brings.

willvincent

Have the same issue in Chrome on Linux. I'm able to cast to chromecast from my android device without issue, but when trying to do so from the laptop, Chromecast isn't an available option. Just installed chrome last night so I'm sure it's the latest version, will have to check later when I'm near that machine. Good to hear it works properly in Chromium though, maybe I'll move over to that, or install it as well, so that I can avoid this issue. The ability to reliably control the casting from my laptop is the primary reason I switched from plex, where it suddenly stopped working, but the cast option remained.  Now I wonder whether that was actually an underlying chrome issue, but I'm switched, and paid so I'm not going back :)

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this issue. If you do install Chromium, make sure you do it before it gets upgraded to version 72. Keep v. 71 untill we find out a solution for Chrome.

Another piece of advice. If you've got your bookmarks and extensions and other data in Chrome, and don't want to lose it in Chromium, I found that you can copy the Default folder in the .config/google-Chrome folder to the .config/chromium folder. So far I haven't had any problems.

willvincent

Problematic Chrome version I'm running: Version 72.0.3626.81 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Appears I'm experiencing the same issue in Chromium :(

Chromium Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) Arch Linux (64-bit)

Chromium doesn't seem to see any chromecast destinations at all, my chromecast, and three google home minis are completely unseen by it. So in this case it's not Emby's fault. Frustrating though. Have tried google's kind of pathetic trouble shooting steps to no avail.
Edited by willvincent

willvincent

Just to be perfectly clear -- casting desktop, tabs/etc to chromecast works great from chrome, but isn't an option within emby. On Chromium 71, I can't do either, so that's not a usable workaround for me unless I can work out why the cast devices aren't appearing within chromium

Thanks for the info. Yes so that means Chromecast on the local network will now be a little more difficult.

You need to be using the web app within a secure context, so that means https or localhost. You can also use the android or iOS mobile apps and they will not have this restriction.

• Like 1

willvincent

Nice! Great find on the cause.

So, how does one go about setting up https for the emby server on a local network? I only see SSL config within remote connection settings.

Seems like what we need, ideally is a letsencrypt cert, associated with the local machine name.

willvincent

Thanks everybody. I've managed to create my own internal CA cetificate, and then create a p12 cert signed with it, enabled remote access so that I could populate that cert, but I'm not actually forwarding any remote traffic, anyway that was sufficient to be able to access emby via https on my local network, and now I'm able to use chromecast again from the laptop  :D  :D  :D

5c57f58b4876b_20190204_0218.png

• 2 weeks later...

I am suddenly encountering this problem as well.

Any chance you could provide step-by-step instructions on how to do that certificate creation, willvincent?

willvincent

Doubtful all the necessary functionality is built into my OPNSense router.

Still a bit of a hassle anyway as I still get the 'non valid' certificate warning. But so long as there is _a_ certificate, valid or not, so that you can have an https connection, that ought to be sufficient.

Well that's unfortunate. I'm running it on an unRAID system and it's really causing problems for me. Hopefully they're able to get a fix for it soon.

My setup was working great for 100 + days

emby 3.5 ish running on a headless ubuntu install 18.04..

1 day chrome stopped being able to cast emby but i was able to cast using youtube etc...

I just found this thread and see that i need to use HTTPS.

Is there going to be a fix for this or will i have to make my own cert so i can use HTTPS?

Dont want to "waste" my time figuring out how to make HTTPS work if you are working on a fix is all...

Thanks in advance