Elevated Black Levels since update

mawazi

Michael K.

I've noticed much better playback quality lately. The black levels seem to be back to 'normal'. Have you fixed it or made some improvements? 

Michael K.

I've noticed much better playback quality lately. The black levels seem to be back to 'normal'. Have you fixed it or made some improvements? 

We haven't made any specific changes for this yet.

Well that's mysterious... I'll try to watch more and report back.

Edited by Michael K.

Michael K.

Did you get any tvos updates?

No, there hasn't been a tvOS update since January 22nd. I did notice that my Emby app updated shortly after this thread was started. I thought the black levels had been improved by that update, but I understand you're saying you didn't release anything to address that. 

I just watched another movie, and the black level quality has improved enough to make it almost unnoticeable, but I still notice on scenes when the screen is mostly black, like in the credits. 

Either way, the new app is working well, especially with subtitle/audio track selection, so kudos to the Emby team for those improvements. 

Edited by Michael K.

We have updated out video player libraries to resolve an unrelated issue. It's possible that might have helped with this as well.

• 2 months later...
Michael K.

I don't think so. As of late I'm still seeing poor black levels. Some movies are unwatchable, while others are a little better. This issue has ruined the Emby experience on Apple TV, so I've switched to a PC browser as a temporary work around. It's very inconvenient. I wish I could roll back to the old app. Can't wait for it to be fixed! 

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help, like log files or screenshots. 

Regardless, Emby still rocks! Thanks for making cool software! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Michael K.

Do the folks at Emby also see this issue? I'm surprised this issue hasn't drawn more attention. Could this be a user setting affecting only some people? Without any traction on this issue I'm considering abandoning the Apple TV as my playback device and starting the search for something new. 

Michael K.

It's in the open issues list in the beta Testing Area. 

Awesome! Thanks for the udpate. 

• 2 weeks later...
Senna

It's in the open issues list in the beta Testing Area. 

Awesome! Thanks for the udpate. 

Never had the "Elevated black levels" issue in the Apple TV beta - Open Issues/Requests COLLECTION topic

What is the status of black levels now with thew latest tvOS 12.3 @@All ?

So far I have only seen @@Michael K. reporting back.

So if others can confirm, reporting in what scenario they have poor black levels, please report back mentioning:

1. Device setup (Apple TV 4/4K connected to 1080P/4K HDR TV  or connected to 4K HDR compatible receiver)
  2. Apple TV video settings (video format, match content settings for dynamic range and frame rate)
  3. Media info (VIDEO only), of content played

Edit:

To add to that:

Does the issue still exist when content is played that is matching the Apple TV video format settings during playback ?

If not, than it is only an issue with the app to support "Match content dynamic range", mentioned here

Edited by Senna

sfatula

I do not have tvos 12.3, no comment there. This is still an issue in Beta 1.4.2.12. This happens on ATV4/4k, but sticking to just 4 for now (picking one), connected to 1080p TV, ATV output set to 1080p, match content set to frame rate. Doesn't matter what media near as I can tell, but I am 99% antenna. So, picking the last one I watched, this was 1 080i antenna recording, mpegts. Framerate was 29.97.

What I need to pay more attention to is if truly content does not matter. Maybe it's only on interlaced. Why that matters is I manually set max framerate playback setting on any interlaced content to 5 mbps to avoid the issues with interlace lines, i.e., manually forcing transcode.

Senna

ATV output set to 1080p, match content set to frame rate.

"Match content to frame rate" doesn't work with the Emby Apple TV app due to the MPV player core.

So what happens when setting the Apple TV "Video Format" to the resolution and frame rate AND dynamic range of your recordings, while "Match content to frame rate AND dynamic range" is disabled ?

Edit:

What I need to pay more attention to is if truly content does not matter. Maybe it's only on interlaced. Why that matters is I manually set max framerate playback setting on any interlaced content to 5 mbps to avoid the issues with interlace lines, i.e., manually forcing transcode.

@@sfatula

To avoid confusion, are we still talking about black levels, because you are only talking about interlaced lines and not about black levels, where this topic is all about.

Edited by Senna

Guest asrequested

If the devs open up the options, you can adjust things like this. Applying an icc then use icc-contrast. Also, the colorspace needs to be correct. But using and icc will make that redundant. I use the same icc for all content. And icc-contrast can be applied when bt.1886 is in use, which is pretty much all SDR content.

https://mpv.io/manual/stable/#options-icc-contrast

sfatula

"Match content to frame rate" doesn't work with the Emby Apple TV app due to the MPV player core.

So what happens when setting the Apple TV "Video Format" to the resolution and frame rate AND dynamic range of your recordings, while "Match content to frame rate AND dynamic range" is disabled ?

Edit:

@@sfatula

To avoid confusion, are we still talking about black levels, because you are only talking about interlaced lines and not about black levels, where this topic is all about.

Yes, black levels. Was merely explaining why I was transcoding, which introduces a second possibility - the black levels are being "ruined" by the transcoding and not the ATV player.

I realize match framerate does not work, but I run lots of apps on the ATV, I can't set a specific framerate just for emby when all other apps need match. There i no dynamic range on atv4. I will try matching the ATV video format to the source material and disable match for this test and see what happens. But I can only do this once I find a non interlaced source as my atv doesn't have a 1080i/29.97 setting for video output. For me, it takes the right kind of video (with a lot of dark) to see it. Not all shows have that.

Hopefully Michael K and some others can chime in as well with their specifics.

Edited by sfatula

If the devs open up the options, you can adjust things like this. Applying an icc then use icc-contrast. Also, the colorspace needs to be correct. But using and icc will make that redundant. I use the same icc for all content. And icc-contrast can be applied when bt.1886 is in use, which is pretty much all SDR content.

https://mpv.io/manual/stable/#options-icc-contrast

It isn't always as simple as "opening up the options".  Even though the name may be the same, what is actually implemented on each different platform can be quite different.  IOW - the things you do on a PC aren't always possible on the TV.

Guest asrequested

It isn't always as simple as "opening up the options".  Even though the name may be the same, what is actually implemented on each different platform can be quite different.  IOW - the things you do on a PC aren't always possible on the TV.

The icc is applied to mpv not the OS. The icc just needs to be present so mpv can utilize it. You could also just embed it. This should be achievable on any platform.

And after a quick search, apple tv supports icc profiles. So you could point mpv at those.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/215101/how-do-i-calibrate-an-apple-tv-display