SSD in USB port to increase performance ?

silver_2000

silver_2000

I've read topics that suggest moving the DB to a flash drive to help UI performance ...
Ds918+ running most recent version of synology and emby.

I'm wondering if it makes sense to plug in a USB SSD and put the plug-in and meta data and db (or some subset ) to the SSD ... I'm not sure yet if SSD would be any faster than flash when connected to USB ... Just wondering what you experts think

Edit 

Just realized I also have an option for M.2 NVMe 2280 SSDs as synology cache.  Need to research that 

Edited by silver_2000

silver_2000

Yes

When loading emby on Roku inside local network or even a browser on a PC the UI loads slow. It sometimes takes 10 seconds or more to load ..

Emby server is wife's creation, im trying to keep

new synology working well enough to avoid going back to running emby on PC.

If adding SSD or USB drive will help it's cheap solution ...

Happy wife, happy life ;-)

solabc16

Hello @

There's some more discussion on a similar vein here : https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/48086-performance-improvements/.

The DS918+ really shouldn't be slow and not need such endeavours.

My personal Emby Server system is built on an 'avoton' based DS1817+ and that zips along. Yesterday I was working on an issue with (old) ARMv5 based systems, and the UI performed pretty well - and that was over a remote session.

As I mention at the end of the above thread, there must be 'something' else going on here that we need to understand and get to the bottom of.

If possible, can you give details of a specific action that is 'slow' (.i.e. exactly what screen you are on and what navigation steps you are making) and attach a log for the same period, so we can start to get a better handle on what is happening.

Also, if you can, please could run the Send Logs utility : https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs

Best

- James

silver_2000

Yes that's the thread that got me thinking about it.

I'll run the logs today.

Thanks to all for the prompt responses

silver_2000

I ran the sudo ./sendlogs just now 

Do i need to put in a ticket or send the file name somewhere ? 

sendlogs_mbserver_synology_apollolake_918+_20190201T140135UTC.tgz 
Edited by silver_2000