How to show closed captioning?

Sizzlebox

Sizzlebox

So, I recently got the HDHomeRun Duo and an antenna. Live TV on iOS and AppleTV works perfectly. I’m so happy with it.

Except I can’t figure out closed captioning? I made sure subtitle preferences are selected and enabled both at the AppeTv/iOS level and the user level in Emby.

There is no option to turn on or turn CC off.

I do see it is doing Direct Playback, so I imagined it would carry over the CC data as well. I did some searching on the forums and several people back to 2017 had issues but I didn’t seen any solutions posted.

Am I missing a setting or option?

So, I recently got the HDHomeRun Duo and an antenna. Live TV on iOS and AppleTV works perfectly. I’m so happy with it.

Except I can’t figure out closed captioning? I made sure subtitle preferences are selected and enabled both at the AppeTv/iOS level and the user level in Emby.

There is no option to turn on or turn CC off.

I do see it is doing Direct Playback, so I imagined it would carry over the CC data as well. I did some searching on the forums and several people back to 2017 had issues but I didn’t seen any solutions posted.

Am I missing a setting or option?

Set HW Acceleration to no in the Transcode section of the server.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Sizzlebox

I turned off HW acceleration and I’m still not seeing CC.

Hardware acceleration will not have any impact on it.

We still have work to do regarding closed captions on iOS & tvOS. Thanks.

• Like 1

Sizzlebox

Thanks @@Luke, for the note. I do use Emby over Plex specifically for subtitle/CC handling (I am hard of hearing and have deaf family members). So, it’s quite important to me. I’d appreciate whatever you can do.

Is there a different player that I could use that we know works with CC?

• Like 1

Sizzlebox

Our Android TV app supports them. It will get to all of our apps over time. Thanks.

I tried via web browser and it did not show CC there either. Does it work in any non-Android TV apps/environments?

samuelqwe

I tried via web browser and it did not show CC there either. Does it work in any non-Android TV apps/environments?

The video player the Android TV apps uses has it built-in, but AFAIK no other client apps have this. The functionality would need to be added manually.

Sidenote: @@Luke doesn’t FFMPEG have some sort of built-in subtitle/closed-caption extraction that could be used for this purpose? I had seen online that this could be possible, but maybe it doesn’t work or I’m getting mixed up here.

Edited by samuelqwe

The video player the Android TV apps uses has it built-in, but AFAIK no other client apps have this. The functionality would need to be added manually.

Sidenote: @@Luke doesn’t FFMPEG have some sort of built-in subtitle/closed-caption extraction that could be used for this purpose? I had seen online that this could be possible, but maybe it doesn’t work or I’m getting mixed up here.

There are work around such as running CCExtrator against recordings.  That util is pretty quick and will pull the CC info making a standard SRT style subtitle out of it which can be played back in different clients.  This would only be of help for recorded shows and not for real-time watching of Live TV but it might help you somewhat in the meantime.

samuelqwe

There are work around such as running CCExtrator against recordings. That util is pretty quick and will pull the CC info making a standard SRT style subtitle out of it which can be played back in different clients. This would only be of help for recorded shows and not for real-time watching of Live TV but it might help you somewhat in the meantime.

This is my current setup, all though one of my IPTV providers has a subtitle stream that CCExtractor can’t extract, but that the Android TV video player can read directly.

• 3 months later...
CrossCech

Is Emby Theater for Windows in the mix as well? The only Emby device I have that actually produces closed captioning for LiveTV s the android app on my FireTV.  It's frustrating to see that there doesn't seem to be any urgency in providing the necessary code for every Emby Client to enable/disable CC closed captioning. I've had a Premiere membership for I believe 2 years now and while the topic is touched upon once every other month, there hardly seems to be any progress made. 

While I respect the developers of Emby for creating a nice product, I wish I understood or knew what the holdup is in providing a necessary (dare I say simple) tool that provides equal access for those of us that depend on closed captioning for LiveTV. I wish I was a software developer/programmer so I could better grasp how that while the FireTV app has the ability to enable/disable closed captioning, the flagship client -Emby Theater - does not.  It's a tough pill to swallow paying $99 for Premiere Membership when it appears the follow through on feature requests like closed captioning is lacking.

To be honest, I love 95% of what Emby has to offer and have wanted to get off Windows Media Center since forever, but the fact that closed captioning for LiveTV isn't available in Emby Theater for Windows forces me to continue using WMC for LiveTV events. I really hope that eventually this feature will be taken seriously and added into Emby Theater as well as all Emby Clients. Thank you for listening. 

• Like 3

Hi, this is a priority for us. We're getting there as quickly as we can. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

CrossCech

Hi, this is a priority for us. We're getting there as quickly as we can. Thanks for the feedback.

There is one other suggestion I'd like to offer in regards to differentiating between Closed Captioning (CC) and Subtitles (SDH) ... and that is changing the button icon graphic for subtitles in Movies and TV Series from CC to SDH which is meant for subtitles. Often times as I read through these forums, there's confusion as to what Closed Captions are (streams available in TV ATSC stream) compared to subtitles (which can be muxed in or separate .srt, .ass or .idx & .sub files). 

Once you have CC working in LiveTV and recorded TV, the correct icon symbol of CC would be clear, while Movies & TV Series that use actual subtitle files should use an appropriate SDH icon. 

Edited by CrossCech

While that makes sense from a technical standpoint, CC has become a universally adopted icon for subtitles and I think it makes sense for us to stick with that.

• Like 1

Sammy

I turned off HW acceleration and I’m still not seeing CC.

@@Luke

I cannot see CC's on my ShieldTV's when I have HWAccel on on my server. I have to use SWAccel to see them. IIR, @@cayars had the same issue.

CrossCech

While that makes sense from a technical standpoint, CC has become a universally adopted icon for subtitles and I think it makes sense for us to stick with that.

Strangely though it seems as if every blu ray case and dvd box series I've looked at in recent years uses SDH to indicate that there are subtitles included with movies these days. Hardly ever see CC on a case anymore. Funny how CC may be considered universal, yet many people don't understand what they are or how they work compared to subtitles.

Funny how CC may be considered universal, yet many people don't understand what they are or how they work compared to subtitles.

That's true but, from an end-user standpoint, it shouldn't matter.  The technical issues just make it more difficult for us.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
otatv

Is Emby Theater for Windows in the mix as well? The only Emby device I have that actually produces closed captioning for LiveTV s the android app on my FireTV.  It's frustrating to see that there doesn't seem to be any urgency in providing the necessary code for every Emby Client to enable/disable CC closed captioning. I've had a Premiere membership for I believe 2 years now and while the topic is touched upon once every other month, there hardly seems to be any progress made. 

While I respect the developers of Emby for creating a nice product, I wish I understood or knew what the holdup is in providing a necessary (dare I say simple) tool that provides equal access for those of us that depend on closed captioning for LiveTV. I wish I was a software developer/programmer so I could better grasp how that while the FireTV app has the ability to enable/disable closed captioning, the flagship client -Emby Theater - does not.  It's a tough pill to swallow paying $99 for Premiere Membership when it appears the follow through on feature requests like closed captioning is lacking.

To be honest, I love 95% of what Emby has to offer and have wanted to get off Windows Media Center since forever, but the fact that closed captioning for LiveTV isn't available in Emby Theater for Windows forces me to continue using WMC for LiveTV events. I really hope that eventually this feature will be taken seriously and added into Emby Theater as well as all Emby Clients. Thank you for listening. 

Is supporting CC/subtitles embedded in OTA TV targeted yet for a specific release of Emby Theater?

BillOatman

Having read this I tried CC out on my shield last night and it worked awesome.  Even on OTA live TV.  The text even moved around the screen (I assume) to avoid text in the show perfectly. Things like [Horn] and musical notes displaying.  Flawless for my limited experiment.

• Like 1

SHSPVR

How can I get to play ATSC EIA 608/708 Closed Caption data from the file I tried everything

SHSPVR

We're hoping to get to that soon. Thanks.

I hope that it soon because even deaf community really want it, I'm one of them Luke.

• Like 1