New Emby App doesn‘t support Airplay on ATV4k

Urbs

Hello everbody,

Thank you for the new Apple TV app. I just figured, that the new app doesn‘t support playing audio to my HomePods any more.

Even if I‘ve selected the general audio output to the HomePods, and using the volume buttons of the remote also does change the volume of the HomePods, the audio output goes to my TV.

Is that a known behaviour?

Thanks and take care,

Urbs

Hi @@Luke,

in the previous version, when I swiped-down, there was a menu with "Info", "Subtitles", "Audio" sections. The "Audio" section was split in three parts: audio stream, audio option to choose to get the full range sound or omit peak/load noises and the audio output, where I could choose the audio output device (where my HomePods or my AirPods) where available.

Now when I swipe-down I get a menu with "Info", "Audio", "Subtitles" and in the "Audio" section I can only choose the audio stream.

Thanks and take care

Urbs

Ok I understand. This is the cost of having a custom player. We're going to have to re-implement this capability ourselves now. Thanks.

brianb08

There is a workaround for this.  You can use an app that supports selecting the audio output device first, then switch back to Emby and it will still be sending the audio over AirPlay.  I use the Netflix app to switch the AirPlay device but I would guess other apps work as well.

• Like 1

There is a workaround for this.  You can use an app that supports selecting the audio output device first, then switch back to Emby and it will still be sending the audio over AirPlay.  I use the Netflix app to switch the AirPlay device but I would guess other apps work as well.

I haven't used another app for selecting, the audio output, yet. The tvOS has a builtin function to change the output (long press on the "Play/Pause" button on the remote). If I use that feature in the home screen and start the Emby App, the remote controls +/- volume buttons control the volume of my HomePods as it is supposed to, but the sound is still send to my TV.

Are you sure that the output is really played/streamed over AirPlay?

• 3 months later...
formerlyknownas

Hi Everyone,

I would to express my minor frustration with the Emby update in February where Airplay speaker selection was lost.  Urbs suggested workaround to long press the "Play/Pause" button is the only solution that reliably works for me, but you have to be sure the selection was made beforehand or exit the Emby app to make the audio selection. This is why I say it's a minor frustration ;)

I also thought it may be useful to share an image that shows the way most video apps on tvOS handle Airplay audio select and how Emby looked prior to the update in February.

5cde5af62b9fa_AirPlay2tvOSvideo.png

Hoping to see that functionality back sometime soon. 

Hi, thanks for the feedback. We will try to add this back in an upcoming update. Thanks.

• 4 months later...
formerlyknownas

Just want to chime in on this topic after updating to tvOS 13.  The Control Center makes it possible to change Airplay speakers while in the Emby app, but it's still mildly annoying since going to the Control Center while in Emby stops playback and takes the user back to the "item" page.  Having in-app audio selection is so much better (like Netflix any many others).  Airplay speakers are becoming widely available and more accessible.  People can now to go Ikea and get speakers for their entire home at 99 USD per speaker.  Just trying to say that my request hopefully isn't too niche or soon won't be  :)  

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
formerlyknownas

Just noticed that there was a recent Emby update on tvOS and there is now proper in-app support for Airplay speakers again.  Emby is the best!  ;)

corey

Just noticed that there was a recent Emby update on tvOS and there is now proper in-app support for Airplay speakers again.  Emby is the best!  ;)

@@formerlyknownas -- Just so you're aware the latest version of the app added the native Apple player back in for those that have content that aligns better with what it supports. If you need to enable MPV again it's under Settings -> Playback Settings -> Enable MPV