EmbyServer.exe has stopped working

notla49285

notla49285

Windows showed an app crash last night (don't know what time, I was asleep), as below:

5c38b33f3e641_Capture.jpg

5c38b34975572_Capture2.jpg

Thing is, Emby was/is still working fully, I've been using it all day with this message still on screen on the server. I will clear everybody off it tonight and restart it, but I have had this before. I can send my server logs via PM if required. Currently running 4.0.0.0 on Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit.

Edited by notla49285

• 3 weeks later...
davedick

Ever since updating to Ver 4, I've been seeing multiple windows that mentions EmbyServer has stopped working and if I want to close the program or Check online for a solution.  I use Emby Theater on the TV's and haven't noticed this crash causing an issues when trying to watch a show.

The only issue is having to close multiple Windows that says Emby has stopped working.

I'm not sure if any of the Emby logs would capture these events.  When I looked at the Windows event viewer, I couldn't find anything that I could filter on for Emby.  I'm currently using Windows 7 home.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: EmbyServer.exe
  Application Version: 0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp: 5bca0f4b
  Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
  Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.24335
  Fault Module Timestamp: 5c268157
  Exception Code: e0434352
  Exception Offset: 000000000000bded
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: 3295
  Additional Information 2: 329593fca8d111f87365ed88f62657d5
  Additional Information 3: fc5c
  Additional Information 4: fc5c232977cd23b4dd58cf79ab051c1a

Hi there, is windows fully up to date? Can  you please attach the emby server log? thanks.

I have seen this issue too but haven't experienced connection or playback issues so I haven't reported it. Emby is still running even when the error box shows up.

As far as having Windows 7 fully up to date, I have had updates turned off for a couple of years due to issues Windows Update created with concurrent RDP and then with the force feeding of Windows 10. I never plan on updating this windows machine and I don't see this error on my other Windows 7 machine running the beta server. What gives? Why is it required to have Windows up to date?

Running Win7x64Pro BTW.

Because certain components we use might expect certain things to be available on the OS, and if they're not there because you've disabled automatic updates then there's going to be a problem.

davedick

I did an update check and unless I need to install Silverlight, there was no other updates.

I have attached the Embyserver.txt file and the last Embyserver-####### that was larger then 1k.  The remaining log files appear roughly every half hour and say (which I have attached an example)

2019-01-30 18:50:06.277 Info Main: Application path: C:\Users\TV\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll
2019-01-30 18:50:11.284 Info Main: Exiting because another instance is already running.

embyserver.txt

embyserver-63684403200.txt

embyserver-63684471011.txt

Happy2Play

So this is just a pop-up error message and not a actual Ebmy server crash.

@@Luke what schedules Emby to launch?  Is this a scheduled task to do with recordings?

@@Luke what schedules Emby to launch?  Is this a scheduled task to do with recordings?

Yes that could be it, exactly. 

@@davedick is the server actually crashing, or is it just the popup message?

davedick

It's a popup, which I attached a picture in my last response.  However after a while multiple will appear on the screen

davedick

Yes, or it appears to be.  Haven't seen a show stop playing because of it

but the server is still running during this time, right?

• Like 1

These were stacked on top of each other on the screen so I spread them out to take the screen shot. This is the first time I've seen the "EmbyServer.exe - application error" one though. Emby is still running though. Here's one of the "Problem Details":

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: EmbyServer.exe
  Application Version: 0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp: 5bca0f4b
  Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
  Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.19110
  Fault Module Timestamp: 568429dd
  Exception Code: e0434352
  Exception Offset: 000000000000b16d
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: 3295
  Additional Information 2: 329593fca8d111f87365ed88f62657d5
  Additional Information 3: bed1
  Additional Information 4: bed129f50f23a42b8d199e91db8d4b16

They all look similar even the Timestamps.

post-110-0-06750100-1548935589_thumb.jpg
Edited by Sammy

Oddly, I looked at my recordings and it appears they are all there in Emby but when I look at the folder in which they reside, the folder is empty. I tested one and it played? Odd indeed.

Hi there, is windows fully up to date? Can  you please attach the emby server log? thanks.

I have seen this issue too but haven't experienced connection or playback issues so I haven't reported it. Emby is still running even when the error box shows up.

As far as having Windows 7 fully up to date, I have had updates turned off for a couple of years due to issues Windows Update created with concurrent RDP and then with the force feeding of Windows 10. I never plan on updating this windows machine and I don't see this error on my other Windows 7 machine running the beta server. What gives? Why is it required to have Windows up to date?

Running Win7x64Pro BTW.

Because certain components we use might expect certain things to be available on the OS, and if they're not there because you've disabled automatic updates then there's going to be a problem.

Is it possible to get a list of certain KB's and components that may be needed to be installed?

On a side note, if there's a way to have concurrent sessions in Windows 10, I just may go ahead and jump to Windows 10 as Emby has fully weened me from WMC now; even though there's a few things with the DVR that aren't quite up to par I have full trust in the Emby team to get it even closer going forward.

Thanks @@Luke and @@ebr !

Back to our regularly scheduled program..

I was getting these message all through the beta cycle, but have not received one since updating to Version 4.1.0.4 or 5 betas.

I was getting these message all through the beta cycle, but have not received one since updating to Version 4.1.0.4 or 5 betas.

Odd. I never saw them in beta but do now with stable on a different Win7x64Pro machine??

Yes, or it appears to be.  Haven't seen a show stop playing because of it

Ok, then an easy fix we can make is to just limit the automatic waking of the server to windows 8+. Thanks.

• Like 1

notla49285

Is there any progress on this yet @@Luke @@cayars @@softworkz?

I'm still getting these errors every day, seems like whenever a recording is launched via Windows Scheduled Tasks, as discussed via PM. It seems to be the same issue as this thread? https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/69255-embyserverexe-has-stopped-working/

5c58bcbc4704c_Capture.jpg

These four messages are just from tonight. There was another one I closed earlier.

Edited by notla49285