Client Emby Theater NUC NUC6CAYH

BurntTech

BurntTech

Anyone out there using NUCs for 4k directplay. This NUC I guess supports HEVC but maybe running 10FPS. It would be nice to get this to work but couldn't seem to find any settings to make it work. I've tried BIOS, Emby Playback settings for Auto,Auto Copyback, etc... I'm not against buying a different one but its hard to tell with decoders and functional playing videos from MKV containers. I was looking at NUC 8i7BEH1 which as Iris Plus Graphics 655 but how would you tell if that one would work better? They also have NUC7i3BNH with Intel® HD Graphics 620.

Guest asrequested

I've got a mini PC similar to that. Here's the issue. If you're using mpv, it tone maps. This adds to the processing, and depending how you configure it, can make the GPU struggle. Using madVR to pass the HDR metadata, requires less effort. There are other factors involved, too. Like frame rate. If you're playing a 23.97 fps video at 60 fps, that increases the rendering work load, considerably. You haven't provided enough information to give you a solid answer.

• 2 weeks later...
BurntTech

If others are interested I replaced the celeron NUC above with new NUC8i3BEH unit. This was able to decode 4K HDR (Still reviewing if the colors are correct, Looks to be BT2020) and CPU is only about 50%.  Using the UI during playback doesn't cause any frame loss either. Audio passtrough Atmos works as expected no surprise there. I was worried the NUC8i3BEH wouldn't cut it and was looking to get the NUC8i5BEH but glad location store had this so I could return it if it didn't work. Ended testing this with windows 10. Using this with Logitech K830 backlight keyboard with touchpad with rechargeable battery is a win. They(Amazon/Ebay) sell magnetic USB plugs so you don't have to plug it into the port but instead just tap the cable to it. 

Edited by BurntTech
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
Allex

If others are interested I replaced the celeron NUC above with new NUC8i3BEH unit. This was able to decode 4K HDR (Still reviewing if the colors are correct, Looks to be BT2020) and CPU is only about 50%. Using the UI during playback doesn't cause any frame loss either. Audio passtrough Atmos works as expected no surprise there. I was worried the NUC8i3BEH wouldn't cut it and was looking to get the NUC8i5BEH but glad location store had this so I could return it if it didn't work. Ended testing this with windows 10. Using this with Logitech K830 backlight keyboard with touchpad with rechargeable battery is a win. They(Amazon/Ebay) sell magnetic USB plugs so you don't have to plug it into the port but instead just tap the cable to it.

I have same NUC8i5BEH, are you still using emby theatre on it? I have some issues with refresh rate switching it only plays at 60hz, could you share your video and audio settings in emby theatre so I could try out. Thanks

• 1 year later...

I had issues with 4K Remux with direct playing on Windows Emby Theater (massive frame drops) but have now resolved and thought i'd share.

Intel NUC 7th Gen i5-7260U.

Intel display settings set at 24p

All auto in the video options except GPU in first box.

All enable options disabled.

Seems like a simple setup, hopefully this saves some people a four hours of troubleshooting (GPU wasn't my first option, and deinterlacing being on was also my downfall and I also forgot what's default selected).

Happy to say it's now flawless with everything i've thrown at it, including 120GB 4k HEVC files and 4:4:4 10bit HEVC files that even VLC won't play (an 7th gen quicksync shouldnt support).

Awesome software team, thanks heaps.

Cheers,

Luke

9 hours ago, Lukeau said:

I had issues with 4K Remux with direct playing on Windows Emby Theater (massive frame drops) but have now resolved and thought i'd share.

Intel NUC 7th Gen i5-7260U.

Intel display settings set at 24p

All auto in the video options except GPU in first box.

All enable options disabled.

Seems like a simple setup, hopefully this saves some people a four hours of troubleshooting (GPU wasn't my first option, and deinterlacing being on was also my downfall and I also forgot what's default selected).

Happy to say it's now flawless with everything i've thrown at it, including 120GB 4k HEVC files and 4:4:4 10bit HEVC files that even VLC won't play (an 7th gen quicksync shouldnt support).

Awesome software team, thanks heaps.

Cheers,

Luke

Hi, that's great to hear. Thanks for sharing.