-= CALLING ALL EMBY USERS =-

pir8radio

pir8radio

If you have that speed why even transcode. just direct stream everything lol

I still get people transcoding for one reason or another. 

5c53bbaba9f7d_Capture.png

Fratopolis

testing right now.

7:21am CST: 35 is too many lol

7:26am CST: Somewhere around 28-33 seems to be it for 1080p decode to 720p encode at 24fps

Edited by Fratopolis

pir8radio

testing right now.

7:21am CST: 35 is too many lol

7:26am CST: Somewhere around 28-33 seems to be it for 1080p decode to 720p encode at 24fps

Not sure where my bottleneck is at the moment then....    GPU still has some room to go, I would think if ffmpeg couldnt keep up using GPU it would start using the CPU?

5c55a902e553e_chart4.png

pir8radio

@luke  is there any way for me to get from the server an xml output or something that gives me current stream counts?   like how many concurrent streams are running?  I would like to log this for my test. 

OOPS disregard that request, i can count the number of ffmpeg instances running!

5c55aae788a37_chart5.png

Edited by pir8radio

Fratopolis

Wanna set a time up and pm each other or Google chat or hangouts voice so you know when I'm testing you can watch/discuss?

Wish there was a longer royally free 1080 movie we could test with

Edited by Fratopolis

Fratopolis

Not sure where my bottleneck is at the moment then.... GPU still has some room to go, I would think if ffmpeg couldnt keep up using GPU it would start using the CPU?

5c55a902e553e_chart4.png

I believe it only switches to CPU processing if it can't start a hardware accelerated encode. Which would be the case for regular Nvidia consumer cards stopping at 2. Otherwise since you have unlimited allowed it just won't encoding fast enough once it hits a certain number and depending on the source and that Target resolutions and format.

pir8radio

How many streams do you want each of us to open ?

Have only a 400Mbit pipe to abuse :)

LOL I think i'm going to disable the 4mb/stream limit and just let the server manage transcode, direct, and see how the server and drives react to "normal" ha, usage...  it seems some initial testing points to about 30 ish concurrent transcodes on one GPU.    So ill open the server to do direct too..     see if we can hit a hard drive, or internet bottleneck..   :D

Edited by pir8radio

Fratopolis

It's a shame I don't have any of these cards to test with.

I have 2 unused Dell R720xd servers I could test with. 1 with 12 Samsung consumer 250GB SSDs, and another with 12 3TB Enterprise SAS drives.

And 1 unused Dell R320xd with 4 1TB Intel Enterprise SSDs, 

all with 128GB of RAM.

Edited by Fratopolis

Fratopolis

LOL I think i'm going to disable the 4mb/stream limit and just let the server manage transcode, direct, and see how the server and drives react to "normal" ha, usage... it seems some initial testing points to about 30 ish concurrent transcodes on one GPU. So ill open the server to do direct too.. see if we can hit a hard drive, or internet bottleneck.. :D

It won't be a hard drive limit as the file will most likely be cached in memory since we are only testing with a single file.

Also your gpu encoding will handle less since I believe once you allow 5mbps and up it will encode in 1080p instead of 720p causing higher gpu processing.

Which is why I now set mine at 4Mbps Max WAN facing

Edited by Fratopolis

pir8radio

It won't be a hard drive limit as the file will most likely be cached in memory since we are only testing with a single file.

Also your gpu encoding will handle less since I believe once you allow 5mbps and up it will encode in 1080p instead of 720p causing higher gpu processing.

Which is why I now set mine at 4Mbps Max WAN facing

I can confirm, different bitrates do not get cached. it starts a completely new ffmpeg log and encode. 

Fratopolis

Ahhhhhhhhhhh I thought you meant reading from the source file. Your speaking of the temp created files during transcode

OOPS disregard that request, i can count the number of ffmpeg instances running!

That only tells you the amount of ffmpeg instances running, not if they are keeping up or if there are problems on the client side.

Everyone using the same file isn't a true test.

To really test this well you want everyone playing different media which will SUBSTANTIALLY change the IO performance and you'll get less useful streams.

pir8radio

That only tells you the amount of ffmpeg instances running, not if they are keeping up or if there are problems on the client side.

Everyone using the same file isn't a true test.

To really test this well you want everyone playing different media which will SUBSTANTIALLY change the IO performance and you'll get less useful streams.

Yes the logs im going to analyze later will tell me if clients fps drops below the video fps.    I just want to know a peak attempt to transcode or direct stream.  but true i get your point. 

FFMPEG still pulls or reads multiple instances of that file from different points across the file...   so the throughput of the drive will be similar...  Its a RAID so the files are spread out across multiple drives anyway, i'm not relying on a single disk io.   By my drive benchmarks I don't think that will be a bottleneck im guessing...    I don't think my wan connection will be either...      I pretty much have a good grasp on what the GPU can handle, and i can graph that out for different file sizes (720, 1080, 4k non hevc), i plan to do a better hevc test later.        so the point now is just to see what the server will do when the zombie apocalypse hits.    See if i can identify any bottlenecks I didnt think of.     

My server is pretty separated,  I have two CPU's, two separate banks of memory, two NICS that each are tied to one cpu, sata/sas interfaces broken out between the two cpus as well..   my memory is kind of slow 800mhz.  this is all for fun though...   ^_^   It's my hobby, you know, just like these guys that build that muscle car in their garage, how often do they actually take it out and push it to its limits? 

Edited by pir8radio

samuelqwe

How did you change the title to NAM during login

That’s just the server name, the one you set on the dashboard

How did you change the title to NAM during login

If I understand your question correctly

Click the 3 dots in the picture below on your main dashboard page to get to the change server name menu.

5c5618766e853_111.png

pir8radio

I think you mean my logo change?....   I rewrite it in nginx to my own logo.  

5c5624b9b88b8_Capture.png

pir8radio

What was the verdict?

I still didn't get enough streams to hose anything up.   So i'll dig through my logs and post how it went with what I have..   I guess I can make some assumptions lol..

Edited by pir8radio

I must confess, I got my times mixed up and attempted to login one hour to late. :(

I could have added a dozen or so streams from various devices.

After crunching numbers if you decide to do it again, I'll be ready and make sure to get my times zone conversions correct.  LOL

pir8radio

I must confess, I got my times mixed up and attempted to login one hour to late. :(

I could have added a dozen or so streams from various devices.

After crunching numbers if you decide to do it again, I'll be ready and make sure to get my times zone conversions correct.  LOL

lol, i included a time zone converter in the links on post 1.    oh well...     Ok, ill remember that thx!