Choosing Recording Folder Per User?

bm0e
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

In Emby I have multiple local users set up. I've already set up tv and movie libraries per user. I came over from Plex and like that Emby allows each user the ability to record. However I am not seeing any options for choosing the recording folder for each user. How can I do this? My server is on Windows 10 Pro but the clients in use are Rokus, Fire TV, iOS and android mobile devices.

Edited by bm0e

• Solution

Hi.  That's not possible at this time but we hope to have those types of options in the future.

Thanks.

• Like 1

This would be tricky to implement in a way that would meet all users needs.

For example, what happens if you have multiple users record the same show?

If you're handy with scripting you could do something like this after the recordings are done.  You would make use of the post processing scripts to move the files and use Folder based Access Control https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/New-Folder-based-Access-Control 

In my world my daughter records shows that no one else is interested in so I use the Folder based access control so only she sees these show.  Takes a bit of setup but worth the effort IMHO.

Hi.  That's not possible at this time but we hope to have those types of options in the future.

Thanks.

Honestly, I feel like that should have been on the list of features to be released when multi-user dvr support was included. Do you know where this is on the queue?

This would be tricky to implement in a way that would meet all users needs.

For example, what happens if you have multiple users record the same show?

If you're handy with scripting you could do something like this after the recordings are done.  You would make use of the post processing scripts to move the files and use Folder based Access Control https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/New-Folder-based-Access-Control 

In my world my daughter records shows that no one else is interested in so I use the Folder based access control so only she sees these show.  Takes a bit of setup but worth the effort IMHO.

I saw the Folder-based Access Control article. It looks like it works really well for pre-existing media libraries. Having a post-processing script sounds like a nightmare.  In my use case, where the recording goes is based off of the show/movie I (or family wants to record). It sounds like I have to make a script for each new item I need to record.

I think this is possible for the future, but DVR is such a large undertaking that we need to get through other things like conflict management and channel management before we get to this. Thanks.