Throttle Cleanup

jaketame

jaketame

When transcoding or direct streaming it currently throttles but it doesn't cleanup during playback so you can have a situation where your using lots of space.

Can we have a custom setting to remove the transcoded parts minus 5 minutes of current playback?

This would help it large libraries where there are multiple transcodes going on.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

Happy2Play

Discussed in dozens of topics.  Emby currently maintains the entire transcode session vs Plex replacing old chunks with new ones, smaller transcode space requirements.

• Agree 1

Discussed in dozens of topics.  Emby currently maintains the entire transcode session vs Plex replacing old chunks with new ones, smaller transcode space requirements.

I think that's what's being asked for, so that Emby can function like Plex using a much smaller dedicated transcode path and never worry about running out of space.

• Like 1

jaketame

I think that's what's being asked for, so that Emby can function like Plex using a much smaller dedicated transcode path and never worry about running out of space.

Correct

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
jaketame

It's planned for the future. thanks.

Great.

Once we get this, Emby will be much better suited for smaller servers with limited space. Mine struggles if I get 5 people transcoding on Emby.

• 4 months later...

We got an internal prototype which is able to manage (and eventually auto-delete) segments per playback session.

It's not quite ready for release yet, but it will probably appear in the beta channel at some time after the next release.

• Like 2

jaketame

We got an internal prototype which is able to manage (and eventually auto-delete) segments per playback session.

It's not quite ready for release yet, but it will probably appear in the beta channel at some time after the next release.

Awesome work :) one of the final features for me to move over fully along with my user base! Can't wait.

• 2 months later...
jaketame

Hey, are we any closer to this please?! :-)

Hey, are we any closer to this please?! :-)

I can add that we are in fact much closer to this than we were when this topic was started.  :)

heciruam

Can this be optional? I actually like to be able to jump further back without having to transcode that part again.

Edited by heciruam
  • Like 1

Can this be optional? I actually like to be able to jump further back without having to transcode that part again.

It will definitely be optional.

Part of this might also be the ability to keep future segments when you jump back and forward and have transcoding fill the gaps only. We'll have to see how well that works, though.

• Like 2

runtimesandbox

It will definitely be optional.

Part of this might also be the ability to keep future segments when you jump back and forward and have transcoding fill the gaps only. We'll have to see how well that works, though.

Really like the sound of the second part of this!

• 2 months later...

We just invested a major effort in transcoding improvements in 4.4. That will make this easier to do now once we're able to get to it.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
jaketame
On 01/04/2020 at 17:45, Luke said:

We just invested a major effort in transcoding improvements in 4.4. That will make this easier to do now once we're able to get to it.

Hey - Did this get pushed back on the priority list? Thanks

On 9/29/2020 at 9:47 AM, jaketame said:

Hey - Did this get pushed back on the priority list? Thanks

No, we just haven't' gotten to it yet, but hopefully soon. Thanks.