Questions About Using Google Drive

deecemobile
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

deecemobile

If I have converted videos in the cloud, am I streaming directly from the cloud or is it still passing through my server but just doesn't have to be transcoded? So if I remotely connect to Emby and start a video, does the video come directly to me from Google or does it pass through Emby?

Also, will emby use the cloud version of a video if I am on same LAN as Emby server (home)?

Thanks

Hi, if you use our cloud sync feature, yes they will be streamed from the cloud, when the cloud version can be direct played using the client app. This depends on the format of the cloud version as well as any client playback settings that could affect this. To learn more, please check out our wiki article on this:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Google-Drive

Please let us know if you need anything else. Thanks !

deecemobile

Hi, if you use our cloud sync feature, yes they will be streamed from the cloud, when the cloud version can be direct played using the client app. This depends on the format of the cloud version as well as any client playback settings that could affect this. To learn more, please check out our wiki article on this:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Google-Drive

Please let us know if you need anything else. Thanks !

Just to clarify, will it stream from the cloud and never pass through my own home network if I am connecting remotely? 

• Solution

If you set things up correctly then yes.

You will still need to have your Emby Server running and available.  The client get the list of movies/shows from the server.  When the client goes to playback something the client app and the server check to see if there is a cloud version available and if it can be directly played by the app.  If so then the client gets the stream from the cloud there by saving the server bandwidth since it doesn't need to stream it.

If the app is not able to stream it from the cloud then the local version of the file is used.

• Like 1

deecemobile

If you set things up correctly then yes.

You will still need to have your Emby Server running and available.  The client get the list of movies/shows from the server.  When the client goes to playback something the client app and the server check to see if there is a cloud version available and if it can be directly played by the app.  If so then the client gets the stream from the cloud there by saving the server bandwidth since it doesn't need to stream it.

If the app is not able to stream it from the cloud then the local version of the file is used.

Thanks for clarifying. I see there are 2 options. It looks like the TV conversion option covers more possibilities. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks again.

• Like 1