Emby server 4.0.1.0 crashing on music playback

fc7
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Every time I try to playback music either from the web application or the iOS applications Emby is crashing with an unhandled exception and I need to restart the service to get it up and running again.

Steps to repro:

1- Login to Emby.

2- Go to the music library

3- Clic on any song.

I'm running Emby server 4.0.1.0 on CentOS 7.6.

Not sure if the problem started with 4.0.1.0 or 4.0.0.0 but I'm sure 3.5.2 was working perfectly.

I tested the above over HTTP and HTTPS with the same results.

Please find attached the server logs.

Thanks.

embyserver.txt

unhandled_bb9144d4-1d4c-434e-a6ba-fed7cc99919e.txt

Edited by fc7
  • Like 1

• Solution

This is actually a defect in the .net core runtime, and it will be resolved in the upcoming .net core 3.0. This started with our 3.5 release that upgraded to .net core 2.1.

It is affecting the audiodb metadata provider, which is now disabled on linux as a result. In your case though, even with the provider disabled you still have audiodb image urls in your database and that's why this is happening.

You can fix this in one of two days:

• Remove all music libraries from emby, complete a full library scan, then add it back
  • If you're handy with sqlite you could shut down the server, then open up library.db and try something like: 
    update MediaItems set Images=null where Images like '%audiodb%'

I have not tried this myself, but since i know you're probably capable of this, you might prefer this approach. Make sure to backup your library.db first if you're going to try this.

• Like 2

This is actually a defect in the .net core runtime, and it will be resolved in the upcoming .net core 3.0. This started with our 3.5 release that upgraded to .net core 2.1.

It is affecting the audiodb metadata provider, which is now disabled on linux as a result. In your case though, even with the provider disabled you still have audiodb image urls in your database and that's why this is happening.

You can fix this in one of two days:

• Remove all music libraries from emby, complete a full library scan, then add it back
  • If you're handy with sqlite you could shut down the server, then open up library.db and try something like: 
    update MediaItems set Images=null where Images like '%audiodb%'

I have not tried this myself, but since i know you're probably capable of this, you might prefer this approach. Make sure to backup your library.db first if you're going to try this.

Thanks for the quick reply @@Luke.

The reason I didn't found this issue before is because until 3.5.2 I was a happy, this-kind-of-bug ignorant Mono user. ^_^

Will try the SQL cooking method first and fallback to the other if needed.

Cheers.

Just for the sake of completeness the SQL query above fixed my problem indeed.

I only had 125 records affected (out of thousands) but that was enough to cause the problem (even if I think I was not playing any of those songs).

Bear in mind that you need a recent version of sqlite3 (3.26 at the moment) to execute this fix, otherwise with CentOS stock version (3.7.17) you will hit the following error:

Error: malformed database schema (fts_search3_config) - near "WITHOUT": syntax error

I also took the chance to do a "VACUUM, ANALYZE, REINDEX" which reduced my DB size in around 1/3 (from 330MB to around 250MB).

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...