Same folder in multiple libraries

mrb002
Go to solution Solved by mrb002,

I have a folder for Movies which is the only folder in a library called "All movies."  This library has metadata scanning turned on.

Under the Movies directory, I have a subfolder called "New" which I have a separate library pointed to (library is named New).

Folder structure:

-Movies

----New

----A

----B

----C

etc.

Library setup:

All movies > "Movies directory"

New > "New directory"

Nothing is showing up in the New library.

Can a file only exist in a single library?

Can a file only exist in a single library?

Yes that is correct, although the duplication is something we'd like to support in the future. thanks.

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48

Yes that is correct, although the duplication is something we'd like to support in the future. thanks.

Are you quiet sure that Emby does not support that, maybe by accident?

I kept my same structure when I migrated from Plex and I have a pretty large number of files that coexist in two libraries. My structure is like this:

Two main folders:

SharedMovies

RestOfMovies

Those two are at the same level and contain many movies and other sub-folders containing movies.

My Libraries are like this:

FavoriteMovies contains only SharedMovies

AllMovies contains SharedMovies and RestOfMovies

That means that all the movies in SharedMovies appear in both libraries. That setup seems to be working fine and I am able to play any movie that is in both libraries from either library.

I am not saying that you do not know what your software actually does but rather I am saying that I seem to have proper operation in a situation that you say you do not support and I also want to ask if I should worry about problems in the future from this setup?

Happy2Play

Are you quiet sure that Emby does not support that, maybe by accident?

I kept my same structure when I migrated from Plex and I have a pretty large number of files that coexist in two libraries. My structure is like this:

Two main folders:

SharedMovies

RestOfMovies

Those two are at the same level and contain many movies and other sub-folders containing movies.

My Libraries are like this:

FavoriteMovies contains only SharedMovies

AllMovies contains SharedMovies and RestOfMovies

That means that all the movies in SharedMovies appear in both libraries. That setup seems to be working fine and I am able to play any movie that is in both libraries from either library.

I am not saying that you do not know what your software actually does but rather I am saying that I seem to have proper operation in a situation that you say you do not support and I also want to ask if I should worry about problems in the future from this setup?

I don't understand the structure here as none is given.

But the structure in first post in not possible.

example

X:\Movies

Test 1 folder

Movie folder

If I pointed a library to X:\Movies, I can not point another to X:\Movies\Test 1 or any other folder underneath X:\Movies.

Edited by Happy2Play

• Solution

thanks luke.  i was able to get a solution in place that works.  see below any future finders of this topic.

I kept the same folder structure as in my OP, but simply pointed the All Movies library to each folder individually and the New library to the New folder specifically.  As soon as I did this, the movies in the new Library appeared.

So, Emby functions as luke described - you cannot have a library that points to a folder that is nested within a folder of a separate library.

But, you ARE able to point libraries to identical folders; just make sure that none are nested within.

Gilgamesh_48

I don't understand the structure here as none is given.

But the structure in first post in not possible.

example

X:\Movies

Test 1 folder

Movie folder

If I pointed a library to X:\Movies, I can not point another to X:\Movies\Test 1 or any other folder underneath X:\Movies.

I never ever said that I pointed a library at a point above the specific folders I mentioned!

I thought I had explained quite clearly when I said

Two main folders:

SharedMovies

RestOfMovies

But I will explain further:

Two main folders:

C:\SharedMovies

......Many movies and other folders under here

C:\RestOfMpvies

......Many other movies and other folders under here

I point one library at only SharedMovies that library is FavoriteMovies points to only that directory

I point the other at both SharedMovies and RestOfMovies that library is AllMovies

I think that should be clear.