Parental Controls and User Accounts

don.alcombright

don.alcombright

Was wondering where the Apple TV and parental controls currently sits. I am in the process of truly trying to convert from Plex to Emby and have yet to add premiere (I plan to but wanted to maximize my month of testing before I do it). So if any of this is "premiere" only please feel free to see that. On to my experience:

Starting the App (note I am not on the beta version as I have not been accepted to test yet):

1. First it prompts you to login. Whether I have a pin setup or not, I need to enter my full password. Is this always the case? I hope not but would definitely appreciate a way around this.

Re-entering the App

1. When leaving the app (as apple doesn't close anything really) you never have to re-log in. To me this defeats the purpose of parental controls all together.

In my ideal world this would work as Plex does (one of the few futures that works well). Every time you launch the app you go to the login screen and have to enter your PIN (not a long password). Where does Emby stand with this functionality with/without premiere? If something isn't available is it something being actively worked on to implement? I did read a thread that was about 2 years old but it didn't seem to have full answers or super current updates to the thread.

Hi.  None of this is tied to Premiere.

If you wish the app to remember your login and password, then go to the user menu in the app (click on user icon) and select that option.

If you do that with a user that has a password defined, then the app will also log out after a period of inactivity.

Does that answer your questions?

legallink

Hi.  None of this is tied to Premiere.

If you wish the app to remember your login and password, then go to the user menu in the app (click on user icon) and select that option.

If you do that with a user that has a password defined, then the app will also log out after a period of inactivity.

Does that answer your questions?

@@ebr, I think he is having a problem with the app not logging him out as opposed to having the app remember him.  

In general, @@don.alcombright, what I do is set a default user (auto login) for my kids, so it always boots up as them and then if I want to change it, I just log in as that.  It usually logs me out after a period of inactivity (not sure how long, haven't tested) but won't log me out immediately. I don't think you want that either.  Maybe the period of inactivity is too long for you?

@@corey, do you know what period it is when it logs you out?

I believe the default auto logout is 1 hour.

However, it will only do that if the user currently logged in has a password and is also not set to auto login and remember the password - because, in that case you are saying it is okay to access this account without a password entry so there is really no reason to force it to log off.

don.alcombright

I believe the default auto logout is 1 hour.

However, it will only do that if the user currently logged in has a password and is also not set to auto login and remember the password - because, in that case you are saying it is okay to access this account without a password entry so there is really no reason to force it to log off.

thanks all, but couple of follow up questions I have.

1. What is the pin actually for? Even though I made a pin for my password I am always required to enter the password. I assumed it made it so I could easily login in with a TV remote.

2. I actually like the inactivity option as it gives the functionality to the user, but I think it would be better served as a setting the user can set. Something from a few seconds (assuming to mimic true parental controls and an always login) to X hours for those not concerned with parental controls as much as just numerous users and watch habits.

Are their any actual plans to open up how this login functionality works? I assume if it is set to a static number (1hr) then its configurable with relatively little effort and could be a great compromise for those that want better parental controls to those that don't.

@@legallink thank you for the idea, its kind of a hack around parental controls but it might get me over the hump for now with the household. Parental controls are what has kept Plex around for me. I have twin 4 year olds that know how to operate Plex better than my wife haha, and well I can't have them perusing around the full library if we are in the kitchen or whatnot.

Are their any actual plans to open up how this login functionality works? I assume if it is set to a static number (1hr) then its configurable with relatively little effort and could be a great compromise for those that want better parental controls to those that don't.

1. What is the pin actually for? Even though I made a pin for my password I am always required to enter the password. I assumed it made it so I could easily login in with a TV remote.

Where, exactly, did you create a PIN and is your Apple TV on the same network as your server?

The effort involved is just building an interface to allow you to configure it.  This is simply something no one has requested before.

don.alcombright

Where, exactly, did you create a PIN and is your Apple TV on the same network as your server?

The effort involved is just building an interface to allow you to configure it.  This is simply something no one has requested before.

Thanks for the info, I have created a feature request that I think would benefit a lot of parents. That can be found here.

Regarding the pin, my Apple TV and Server are on the same network. I do have a reverse proxy for specific dockers on my unRAID server, however Emby is not running through it so that should not effect it but did want to make that clear as I know that can be a concern for PIN use.