emby is downloading meta data in wrong language

hi2hello

hi2hello

Hi,

running emby under docker in unraid on current version 4.0.1.0 from the emby stable repo. 

Since a few days, emby is downloading all metadata for added content in english, although it is set to download german in global metadata settings (library > metadata > language and country) as well as in the libraries themselves (library > name of the library > library settings > "preferred language" and "country").

Any idea why?

Thanks

sualfred

@@Luke

I can confirm this issue.

A "metadata refresh" is enough and it will use the DE languages for shows/movies. It doesn't seem to affect episodes as far as I can tell.

TVDB/TMDB have the highest priority.

(4.0.1.0 stable)

Edited by sualfred
  • Like 1

hi2hello

Changing the order of the scrapers and than refreshing metadata was fixing the issue.

It seems to occuring only with movies. Episodes were not affected, could not check back on Shows. 

Edited by hi2hello

sualfred

Yes, refreshing always fixes it instantly. 

But if the watchdog recognizes a newly added show it will download the EN information for it. Just faced it today again.

Same issue here in 4.0.1.0, switching the order of the scrapers and refreshing metadata works.

Edited by nague

Can you please discuss an example? It will use your settings in the order that you're prioritized the metadata providers. Please note that some providers such as Omdb are english only.

hi2hello

With Version 3* it did not matter, in which order the scrapers where. Language was priorised over scraper. 
So if my settings were 

Scraper 1 - English only

Scraper 2 - Germany, English, …

Scraper 3 - English only

and I had Germany as preferred language for metadata, than only german metadata was scraped.

Now emby scrapes from Scraper 1 (English only) although German is set as preferred language. Since 4.0.* (dont know which version exactly), emby seems to ignore the language settings and puts the order of the scrapers first. 

I dont know if that is a feature or a bug. If it is a feature, the previous behaiviour made more sense to me.

@Luke: Is this description clearing up things for you?

Edited by hi2hello

that's not the way it works. it follows the order of metadata providers that you've configured. Try putting tvdb back at the top for your tv libraries, and moviedb back at the top for your movie libraries. Thanks.

hi2hello

I never changed any orders before Version 4 and did not run into any problems concerning metadata in wrong languages. 

So, at the end of the day, as an enduser, the "errors" started to occur with version 4. 

I do UI and UX for a living … and I can just suggest, that it would make sense to look for languages first and secondly for scrapers. Furthermore, because even in the order of emby’s UI, languages are always displayed first (or in other words: hierarchy is a level above scrapers).

What happens now: Ignoring systemwide language settings and libraries-specific language settings in favour of scraper settings (their order). Forcing users to do configuration where it was not necessary before is the opposite of "convention before configuration". 

Does not make too much sense to me in general but if that is a new feature than documenting such change would be the least to help your users.

;)

post-205744-0-33890300-1548759538_thumb.jpg

post-205744-0-41716500-1548759544_thumb.jpg

Edited by hi2hello

If MovieDb is first priority then you should be getting German. Have you checked MovieDb to see what German data they have for your titles?

hi2hello

As I said: Now with Version 4 i had to set MovieDB as first priority (what i did) so there is no longer a problem (at least with movies).

BUT: In Version 3 I did not have to make this choice, means, set any particular order for the scrapers. The metadata was always grabbed with the language that was set, no matter in what order the scrapers were put.

So please, in the meantime do consider this as a suggestion for improvement or enhancement and not as a bug report. 

Talking about bugs:

I still could not check for new shows. But as sualfred stated above (post #4), even with TheTVDB set as first scraper, the metadata seems to be english at first until you hit refresh. 

Edited by hi2hello

I still could not check for new shows. But as sualfred stated above (post #4), even with TheTVDB set as first scraper, the metadata seems to be english at first until you hit refresh. 

Yes when you change library settings there is this info message at the top:

5c512795da127_Untitled.png

As far as why the tv show didn't get metadata in the first place, we'd have to look at an example. Thanks.

hi2hello

So here is an example that should demonstrate the behaviour:

I attached some images to clearify …

Image 1: My scraper settings for the shows library (please note that season metadata is set to the theMovieDb, series was set to theTvDb - as suggested)

Image 2: Checkback on TheMovieDb if german season info is available (it is)

Image 3: Scraper result (english) > as no german content is available on TheTvDb

Image 4: Switch Metadata to theMovieDb

Image 5+6: Manually trigger metadata reload

Image 7: German metadata

You stated earlier, switching scraper settings to theTvDb should resolve the problem, that sualfred and I were describing in the first few posts of this thread. As there is no german metadata available for the show on TheTvDb, emby is downloading english (although there is german metadata available on a different scraper that is also present and set in season settings and in show settings). Even though, your users have to manually switch to the scraper that has metadata available in the language that they want, than manually trigger a metadata reload. 

Note that for other shows, there might be metadata in german only available on TheTvDb but not on TheMovieDb. In that case, you force your users to reconfigure as above once more and trigger a manual metadata refresh. 

If all this is meant as a feature (and I am not sure about that, as it did not happen in version 3), I really dont like it ;)

To me, that is bad UX. You might think different but once more: personally never had such a weird behaviour before version 4. 

Please, do consider to value language settings higher than scraper order. Maybe you also come up with a different solution, that makes sure, the metadata is downloaded in the language that it is intended to, no matter what order the scrapers do have. 

Thanks and regards

post-205744-0-78841900-1549011260_thumb.png

post-205744-0-70316200-1549011267_thumb.png

post-205744-0-28859100-1549011275_thumb.png

post-205744-0-46839800-1549011282_thumb.png

post-205744-0-31055000-1549011291_thumb.png

post-205744-0-36363300-1549011305_thumb.png

post-205744-0-29782800-1549011315_thumb.png

Where did i state earlier to use tvdb?

Yes tvdb is my general recommendation, but i may not have been aware of the german requirement when i said that.

hi2hello

Seems like a hard nut to crack when offering suggestions for enhancement to you?!

Not sure if that might be a language problem?

Edited by hi2hello

• 1 year later...
GuteFilme

I also experience this problem.

I have set metadata for my library to German. Only TMDB is activated.

After a library scan there are still movies added with an english synopsis or sometimes with the english original title.

One example of the last library scan:
White Vengeance
https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/81344-white-vengeance

In Emby it was added with german Poster, english title and english synopsis. When I do a manually metadata refresh for the movie it gets the german title and synopsis.
Why does Emby wont fetch the correct metadata at the library scan?

I added a Serverlog. The library scan started at 9:15 and took 17 minutes 44 seconds. There where several movies with wrong metadata language (like the example) but also movies who got scraped correctly.

Example for a movie which got scraped correctly in this scan:
Habemus Papam
https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/61667-habemus-papam

embyserver-63737163844.txt

Edited by GuteFilme

Happy2Play
6 hours ago, GuteFilme said:

I also experience this problem.

I have set metadata for my library to German. Only TMDB is activated.

After a library scan there are still movies added with an english synopsis or sometimes with the english original title.

One example of the last library scan:
White Vengeance
https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/81344-white-vengeance

In Emby it was added with german Poster, english title and english synopsis. When I do a manually metadata refresh for the movie it gets the german title and synopsis.
Why does Emby wont fetch the correct metadata at the library scan?

I added a Serverlog. The library scan started at 9:15 and took 17 minutes 44 seconds. There where several movies with wrong metadata language (like the example) but also movies who got scraped correctly.

Example for a movie which got scraped correctly in this scan:
Habemus Papam
https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/61667-habemus-papam

embyserver-63737163844.txt 27.19 MB · 0 downloads

Dev will have to comment more but the log clearly shows a DE query and a EN query.  Both titles were queried the same.  I can only guess something in the language failover processing.

i have the same problem. German is everywhere the preferred metadata language, if I scan a season folder for new metadata, it downloads the german ones. a few days later, every metadata is back in english.

• 2 weeks later...
weasel36

Same for me. All Metadata settings are set right. But I get english instead of german. Don't know what causing this. I have version 4.5.2.0 and running it on a docker.

Maybe somebody got a hint for me. 

Regards 

weasel

6 hours ago, weasel36 said:

Same for me. All Metadata settings are set right. But I get english instead of german. Don't know what causing this. I have version 4.5.2.0 and running it on a docker.

Maybe somebody got a hint for me. 

Regards 

weasel

Hi there, please go over an example. Thanks.