Backup plugin failing: network credentials?

sanewton72
Go to solution Solved by esseki,

Hi @@softworkz,

Thanks a lot for your help and patience with my problem. I finally got it working.

Let me share the solution in case it can help others :

Thanks for reporting back. I'm glad I could help you solving this!

@@Happy2Play - Maybe we should copy this solution over to some place where it can be found more easily? And mark it as answer..

• 4 weeks later...
shackbill

Hi @@softworkz,

Thanks a lot for your help and patience with my problem. I finally got it working.

Let me share the solution in case it can help others :

First of all, my NAS is a Synology. Then i confirm that when i mounted the network share in the Shield settings, i did use a username and password. 

I eventually had a look at the SMB server settings and i tried a few options until i got it working.

To do so you have to go into the Synology "Control Pannel -> File Services -> SMB / AFP NFS tab -> SMB section -> Advanced settings" and set 

• Maximum SMB protocol : SMB3
  • Minimum SMB protocol : SMB1

As a result the SMB range should show : "SMB range SMB1,SMB2,SMB2 and Large MTU,SMB3".

The permissions are now properly inherited for the folder created by the Backup plugin.

That did the trick :)

I'm having this problem as well. i adjusted the SMB section as you described.  Im 'pretty sure' i used a username/password when i mounted the share but i cant seem to find where that is to verify. I went into shield storage and found where the share is mounted and says connected but i dont see where the username/password wouldbe. Would i have had to Manually mount that?   i *DO* have a user account for network shares and i modified it to Read/Write but still same issue. Any assistance is appreciated.

bill

To find out about username/password, I would remove the mounted storage from the Shield storage configuration and then try to re-add (mount).

shackbill

so i did that and selected REGISTERED USER and entered username and password. Share mounted fine. but still cant make backup. checked permissions are selected for that share READ/WRITE.  Other idea?

thanks.

so i did that and selected REGISTERED USER and entered username and password. Share mounted fine. but still cant make backup. checked permissions are selected for that share READ/WRITE.  Other idea?.

I'd really wish that those things would work out-of-the-box. Unfortunately I can't help from personal experience as I don't have this device combination available.

The only thing I can suggest is going through this conversation from first-to-last and compare your results with those from the OP. That's what I would do. 

I apologize for not having a more convenient advice!

shackbill

thanks for your help i will keep trying some other things. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

• 1 month later...
shackbill

Just thought i would check back in to see if anyone had some new ideas on why i still cant get Backups to work with my Synology NAS. Ive done the following:

1. Ensured the share is connected using a registered user account and password

2. Ensured read/write access is enabled on the share

3. Configured the SMB settings as directed in above stated solution (  "SMB range SMB1,SMB2,SMB2 and Large MTU,SMB3".)

The error messages are below...

Access to the path "/storage/SYNOLLOGY/Media/Backups/Emby Backup - 2019-08-09 10.46.32 - Auto" is denied.
at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectoriesInternal (System.String path) [0x0004b] in <d4a23bbd2f544c30a48c44dd622ce09f>:0 
at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory (System.String path) [0x00075] in <d4a23bbd2f544c30a48c44dd622ce09f>:0 
at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.CreateDirectory (System.String path) [0x0001b] in <5837600bbe23491d837720283845e3f2>:0 
at MBBackup.ServerEntryPoint+<ExecuteBackup>d__61.MoveNext () [0x00199] in <b48c1b9ae14d440baa732016b620ddb8>:0 
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at MBBackup.Entities.ScheduledBackupTask+<Execute>d__8.MoveNext () [0x00085] in <b48c1b9ae14d440baa732016b620ddb8>:0 
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker+<ExecuteInternal>d__68.MoveNext () [0x00156] in <5837600bbe23491d837720283845e3f2>:0

5d4e434b378f1_BackupPath.png

5d4e435b2a402_SharePerms.png

5d4e436ac9ca0_SMB.png

As you can see i even allowed GUEST full access in hopes of getting this to work.  Any advice is deeply appreciated. Im reluctant to update to latest server version until i can get some kind of backup. thanks.

Edited by shackbill

shackbill

Well..its a SHIELD PRO server so i connected the share thru the user interface as a registered user and i used the account i use to access the media on my synology nas.

bill

And did you configure the network connection in the shield interface so that it would have write access?

You'll need to ensure that the network share is writeable. Once you do that, the write error that you're seeing in the server log will go away.

shackbill

message #33 in this thread has screen shots of everything ive done. Am i missing something? I guess i'm not sure how to configure the network connection in shield to have write access - ive never heard of giving a network interface write access... unless you are referring to the share - in which case, i refer you again to message #33 in this thread. thanks.

Well you want the shield to write to a network share on another device, right? so it's that other device where you need to make sure write access is granted.

Are you able to use a file explorer on the shield to browse to that mounted path and create a new text file?

shackbill

ok i hadn't thought to do that but i tried it and i was able to successfully write a text file using the X-Plore file utility. I tried in 2 different shares and both worked. Backup still fails.

shackbill

1.  from X-PLore file utility i select the SYNOLLOGY server (I entered credentials when xplore first started)

2. Selected the Share folder i want to use BACKUPS

3.  Selected 'NEW TEXT FILE' from the center menu

5d56f06ec626e_XPloreB4Small.jpg

4.  Created file name (since i am using the onscreen keyboard, my remote has a back key i had to use instead of next to get back to OK.

If i click Next, i get an error trying to READ the file). Click OK

5d56ef1174056_CreateNewFileSmall.jpg

5. Empty File Opens

6. Typed some letters

5d56ef730d17d_FileContentsSmall.jpg

7. Click OK

8. Click YES to SAVE

5d56ef91cf663_SaveChangesSmall.jpg

9.  And the file is created. i can open it and read it from my windows computer or wherever..

5d56efc072c3d_1xplorerScreenSmall.jpg

shackbill

Any other suggestions?

OK. Problem solved. I made a backup to the local storage (Shield) then did a server upgrade to the latest version. Backups now worked as advertised.

Edited by shackbill