Transcoding ... how to validate hardware is being used

Karpana

Hi There,

I just completed a migration of my Emby Server 4.1.0.1 beta running headless Centos 7.6 from a virtualized Hyper-V (2008 R2) to Bare Metal (Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 with Gigabyte [nvidia] GeForce GTX 1050 and SSD) for the added horsepower of dedicated CPU access and transcoding capabilities.

I haven't done a whole lot to this OS in terms of setup.

• Clean minimal install of operating system
  • update updated packages (yum)
  • Install Emby
  • Open Firewall Port
  • install backup plugin
  • restore backup from my VM

What I'm struggling to determine is
a) has emby detected my GTX 1050?
B) is emby using my GTX 1050 to transcode?

c) is there anything I might need to install (e.g. Nvidia drivers) to get this all working?

I'm not 100% certain what it is I'm looking for in the logs to ascertain whether this is working or not.

I'm attaching the latest Transcoding log and Hardware Detection Log.

Thanks in advance

HardwareDetection.txt

Transcoding.txt

One extra thing, as I look around the forums, trying to learn about hardware encoding, I don't see anything in the advanced settings for Transcoding that indicates the card is 'useable'.

post-389274-0-18135500-1548547524_thumb.png

Following the install guide located at https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Hardware-Acceleration-on-Linux

I've done the following

sudo yum install epel-release
sudo rpm -Uvh http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/dextop/el7/x86_64/nux-dextop-release-0-5.el7.nux.noarch.rpm
sudo yum install nvenc
sudo shutdown -r now

When I go back into Emby, I still dont see any hardware encoders or decoders listed when I select advanced.

As a precaution, I tried to use the emby-provided ffmpeg to see if it was throwing any errors, but couldn't use it.
so i installed ffmpeg, and attempted to get it to present what codecs it was supporting

sudo yum install ffmpeg ffmpeg-devel
sudo shutdown -r now

But ffmpeg is throwing errors like the following

[media@Helium ~]$ ffmpeg
ffmpeg: error while loading shared libraries: libvorbisenc.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or dire

I used the ldd command to figure out which drivers (?) and components were absent

ldd $(which ffmpeg) | grep "not found"

And this spit out a number of undetected components.
I proceded to identify their packages using some google-fu and then installed them

sudo yum install libavdevice libvorbis libtheora opus lame-devel fribidi fontconfig libogg
sudo shutdown -r now

But still, when I go into Emby, there's nothing shown in the hardware encoders or hardware decoders section of the advanced transcoding options.

And with that ... i now have stuff showing in the Hardware Encoders and Hardware Decoders section.

A big thank you to @@Luke for the bump in the right direction.

post-389274-0-25649900-1548551036_thumb.png

• Like 2