LiveTV Loading with NPVR Plugin

rene.teniere
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

rene.teniere

Trying to get Live TV going. Guide works fine, and the show plays for 10 seconds. Then it stops and shows loading at around 80% and hangs there forever. Any Ideas? Works from the NPVR program in Windows 10. I am trying to load on the Roku App.

rene.teniere

Question. Am I supposed to be able to record content through the NPVR plugin? When I try to record the episode or series in the web app directly on the server, the loading spinner just keeps going without doing anything. That may also be in the server log i gave you...

rene.teniere

I repeated the error with recording a series. I select the show, click on record series, and it spins. Screenshot attached.

5c4b94d0e2f5a_20190125.png

Take a look at line 10926 in the attached server log.

embyserver.txt

An error is coming from the next pvr server, so you may need to review next pvr logging to see what happened there.

My comments were in regards to scheduling a recording. That is what I think you'll need to look at next pvr logs for. Thanks.

rene.teniere

Ok. I should have started a new thread for that issue. As far as playing 10 seconds then stopping loading at 80%, that seems to only be happening while using the Roku app.

rene.teniere

So I was playing around with the Live TV options because it was really bugging me that I couldn't watch live TV on the Roku app. Thought maybe there would be an issue with the app getting overloaded by the source .ts, and so I took the video quality off auto mode and managed to get it to work no problem at 1080 10 mbps. Any higher than that and I get loading issues. I take it that this shouldn't have any affect on other media I stream on the Roku, i.e. a standard 1080 movie. I never had issues before until now trying to stream the full live stream. It would be nice to have a setting in the Live TV section to limit the quality for just the Live TV?

• Like 1

What Roku model do you have? It sounds to me like when the original video is stream copied, that's when you have a problem. But when the quality setting is low enough, the server will transcode it and it plays fine.

So you have a roku model that supports mpeg2?

No. Our detection is using the function CanDecodeVideo() and this function returns what video codecs the Roku device can decode. We read all the codecs into our capabilities this function returns. If the app isn't allowing mpeg2video then it must be because the CanDecodeVideo() does not detect support for it. Those older models cannot support the bitrate that mpeg2video comes encapsulated with.

rene.teniere

I have a newer Roku that I can try it on, but the majority of my Roku appliances are 2XSs. It was a very popular model. I am ok with the global downgrade to 10mbps workaround for now, but is there a server-side way to do the bitrate downgrade automatically on a per-case basis so it won't affect newer models?

@@speechles please see the remux log above. Based on what you've said the app appears to be requesting mpeg2video when it's not supported by the device. Thanks.

• Solution

@@speechles please see the remux log above. Based on what you've said the app appears to be requesting mpeg2video when it's not supported by the device. Thanks.

In that case, thank God we use the CanDecodeVideo(). I take back what I've said. Roku must have added support into the Roku 2XS for mpeg2video.

The issue is the Roku 2XS is severely hampered by the bitrate it can decode. It only has a dual core CPU. This put it at a serious disadvantage as far as Roku devices go, but it is nice to know they have added mpeg2video to it. The OTA broadcasts for mpeg2video will seriously strain that device and cause problematic buffering.

The only solution I can offer is one they've already opted to take. Lowering the bitrate until it becomes acceptable to watch.

The only other solution is to use "Playback Correction" during playback. This should force the Roku to convert the mpeg2video to h264. This should allow a higher bitrate as it doesn't take as much CPU to decode. With playback correction the original bitrate can be kept and when used with h264 it should provide cleaner/smoother playback.

The real issue is the resolution of the mpeg2video at 720p/1080p really hurts that Roku 2XS.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Thanks for that info. Where do we find the Playback Correction option?

When the item is playing press DOWN on the d-pad of your Roku remote. This will bring up the OSD display. At the bottom of this are icons. One of them looks like a graphic equalizer with 3-sliders. Choose that icon and it should bring up the Playback Options menu. In this menu will let you change Quality as well as Playback Correction.