Raspberry Pi 3B+ as Server

buddyweiser

buddyweiser

What I want:

I am looking for a very small form factor solution to serve up media to 1 possibly 2 devices(direct stream, NOT transcode), and also act as a router. This will be for travel. I also want to keep cost down as much as possible (less than 100 is good, under 60 is better)

Why these specifics:

For vacation, most times the rental does not have wi-fi, and more often than not, only has a TV with a blu-ray player. I have a fire stick I bring for travel, and use my laptop to act as a temp-travel server(my home upload speed is terrible, and also I want a solution that does not require internet connection just in case there is no cell coverage or wi-fi). I also store my "travel media" on a 2 tb external hdd. I am looking for a solution with considerably smaller footprint, that I can plug in when we get here, and its ready whenever I want to use it.

I thought of the raspberry pi because I have seen people building wi-fi routers with them. I thought, wouldn't it be great if I could build a small enclosure for a headless raspberry pi, make it a wifi router, and also have Emby Server run on it when it boots up?  I could even have a small 3" lcd on the outside of the enclosure to display bits of information like connected devices, status of internet connection if any, and even status of Emby Server.

But this entire idea would depend on how well emby server runs on Raspberry pi. Does anyone have any experience here? Any feedback would be welcome!

buddyweiser

This is a newer model, right? I think it should be fine,.

Thanks for the response Luke, yes this is the newest model. Now I just have to research which is the most lightweight and efficient OS that supports Emby Server and the RouteryPi software as well!

• 1 month later...