Server: Refresh People Stops at 70%

Tanamur

Tanamur

Hi All / @@Luke - Perhaps I misunderstood a few weeks ago when you suggested I start from the beginning so I am starting a new thread this time. The old thread is here.

For the last 4-6 weeks my Refresh people task reaches 60-70% and simply stops without completing. I have updates set to Dev level and currently on Version 3.0.5233.22609

I have tried several things:

Changed IBN path from network store back to local drive store and back.

Reducing library to just a small collection of 150 movies only.

I tried TV Series only but it always hangs.

Next I shut down the server and moved the IBN/People folder to let a new one be regenerated.

...but the result is always the same with a stall around 60-70%

To generate the attached server log I shut down the server, cleared all old logs, restarted server, completed library scan and then manually started Refresh People.

Below is an image of my People folder which includes the non-alphanumeric character [ 

Thanks for the help, @Tanamur

5361af0ee6f61_serverrefreshpplfail01.jpg

server-63534534771.zip

try using fiddler to see if some http requests to the movie db are stalling for some reason.

Tanamur

try using fiddler to see if some http requests to the movie db are stalling for some reason.

@@Luke - Thanks for the lightning quick reply. I started by Google-ing Fiddler and see that I will need to d/l and install another application. I will have a look at it and get back to you. Thanks

Tanamur

Hi @@Luke - I am in in over my technical head here. After watching the intro video to Fiddler and starting it off, I stopped the server, moved the People folder (no old jpg or xml files), I restarted the server, scanned library and manually started the Refresh People.

The pattern of downloads seems to change when it hangs at 70% (see image -sorry not sure about a Fiddler log file) however, when I copy the url from fiddler and paste it in a browser window there is not problem with the link here. Is this enough info to guide you or do you want me to do something else? Thanks, Tanamur

5361c7806c5e2_serverrefreshpplfail02.jpg

Tanamur

I am facing the same issue - both with my movie library and also with people. Below is the thread on "movie scan stopping". I don't mention in this thread the same happening for people, but this is the case. Have also shared fiddler files with Luke.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/4387-scan-media-library/

HI @@steve1977 - Thanks for sharing and I am now making some progress. When the refresh stalls, I manually load the actor image url into my browser, then restart the refresh. I have done this twice and each time it makes it further than the last. I am currently at 79.1%. I have a con-call coming up and will let this run until it stalls again and then perform the manual load and see if it is my imagination or the nudge that it needs. More in a few hours....Tanamur

Tanamur

HI @@steve1977 - Thanks for sharing and I am now making some progress. When the refresh stalls, I manually load the actor image url into my browser, then restart the refresh. I have done this twice and each time it makes it further than the last. I am currently at 79.1%. I have a con-call coming up and will let this run until it stalls again and then perform the manual load and see if it is my imagination or the nudge that it needs. More in a few hours....Tanamur

I am making progress, now over 90%

5361f92c5fb23_serverrefreshpplfail03.jpg

Tanamur

5362d0e38f4dd_serverrefreshpplfail04.jpg

Hi - Thanks to all for the input here. In my case, by using Fiddler to identify the actor image download that fails, I can manually copy the URL from Fiddler and load it into the browser/cache, then restart the server and restart Refresh People which proceeds further. This let's the refresh proceed until it stalls again and I have to complete the process again. I have no idea why it is stalling and I see no consistent pattern.

Is there any other other log or image I can provide to help get to the bottom of this? Thanks, Tanamur

EDIT: Last report - after 2 days and about 30 server restarts I managed to Refresh People 100%.

Edited by Tanamur

Tanamur

Hi All - Okay now that I have pushed through the refresh 100% I see a lot of popular actors with missing bios and pictures. When I edit the actor individually in Metadata Manager I can refresh the individual, get the bio, bday, etc and image. Could this be an overall problem or something corrupt in my collections? Thanks, Tanamur

Tanamur

Hi All -

There seems to be a few other users having a problem with this. This is a big enough of an issue for me to try to solve, I have deleted my \Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\data database files and running a rebuild now. The Scan Media Library was quick but the Refresh People is taking forever, fails every 10 mins requiring a server reboot and refresh restart.

Any suggestions or ideas about this? Thanks, Tanamur

steve1977

Agree, this is quite annoying and (at least me) troubling for a few months. It takes dozens of server restarts to get through the scan. Once it is all through, it works fine for me. But this does not sound like a sustainable approach. Let us know what else to provide? Thanks for your help!!!

Hi All -

There seems to be a few other users having a problem with this. This is a big enough of an issue for me to try to solve, I have deleted my \Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\data database files and running a rebuild now. The Scan Media Library was quick but the Refresh People is taking forever, fails every 10 mins requiring a server reboot and refresh restart.

Any suggestions or ideas about this? Thanks, Tanamur

can you try disabling moviedb in metadata settings for people?

Tanamur

Hi @@Luke - Thanks and I shut down the server, cleared logs, restarted server and ran Refresh People, and it stalled again after 10 mins. I then disabled Metadata>Others>People>TheMovieDb and restarted Refresh and monitored with Fiddler.

This succeeded in running to 100% refresh in 7-8 mins and downloaded 150-200 actor images from thetvdb.com so this has identified where Refresh People is stalling.

Logs linked here. Cheers, Tanamur

Tanamur

Hi All - Just adding a bit more, returning to metadata>others> people settings, I re-enabled TheMovieDB and the Refresh people completes without stalling. However, I am still finding a lot of popular actors unpopulated which can be manually refreshed (see pics below). Any further ideas? Thanks, Tanamur 

5368c6a3e9afb_people04.jpg

5368c6baca531_people05.jpg