Cannot Connect with Samsung TV

arklyte

EUREKA!!!

I've had the same problems on my Samsung Smart TV that others in this thread have been describing. I was able to fix the problem by modifying the Advanced Firewall settings in Windows 10. 

from Inbound Rules, find "embyserver", Public profile. Change from "Block the connection" to "Allow the connection". Repeat for the other public embyserver rule.

My Plex started playing after making changes to the firewall rules for Plex.

Edited by shaybee
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Emby for Samsung Tizen 1.0.61 has been released for 2015-2019 models. Please try it out and stay tuned to the blog for release notes. Thanks !

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Happy2Play

As said, I can use it on my tablet, so the problem isn't the W10 firewall

If the issue is with the TV using a Public network connection instead of a Private connection it could be the Windows Firewall.  What is your Public firewall setting for Emby?  I know I block Emby's Public firewall connection by default.  But it is easy enough to test.  To me it may be a defect in the Samsung networking.  As your other devices are more then likely configuring for your Private network.

If I set my laptop wireless connection to Public it will no longer connect to Emby per firewall configuration, while all other device still can connect.  So the only way to know is for you to test this theory.

register@sc.rr.com

EUREKA!!!

I've had the same problems on my Samsung Smart TV that others in this thread have been describing. I was able to fix the problem by modifying the Advanced Firewall settings in Windows 10. 

from Inbound Rules, find "embyserver", Public profile. Change from "Block the connection" to "Allow the connection". Repeat for the other public embyserver rule.

My Plex started playing after making changes to the firewall rules for Plex.

No luck

register@sc.rr.com

If the issue is with the TV using a Public network connection instead of a Private connection it could be the Windows Firewall.  What is your Public firewall setting for Emby?  I know I block Emby's Public firewall connection by default.  But it is easy enough to test.  To me it may be a defect in the Samsung networking.  As your other devices are more then likely configuring for your Private network.

If I set my laptop wireless connection to Public it will no longer connect to Emby per firewall configuration, while all other device still can connect.  So the only way to know is for you to test this theory.

register@sc.rr.com

Which IP should I be using? IPv6, IPv4 or the remote (WAN)? I've tried them all.

Edited by register@sc.rr.com

Are you able to connect to your emby server from other devices, such as a smart phone?

register@sc.rr.com

Are you able to connect to your emby server from other devices, such as a smart phone?

register@sc.rr.com

Yes. My Samsung tablet. That's why I know the problem must be with the TV and not with the Emby server or firewall in my W10 PC. I've tried entering 4 or 5 UP address on my TV with no success. The WIFI signal on it is good (I'm getting streaming services). I called Samsu g support and was told it was Emby & not the TV. I tried loading Emby into the TV via USB stick, but nothing. Samsung support said that is for uploading systsm upgrades only.

• 5 months later...

Seems this thread is getting stale, and OP hasn't noted any success? I have a Samsung TV and it also has EMBY app as an option in its video store.

When I attempt to use it, and choose manual setup, it is quite the nightmare entereing information. I might take a screenshot just to show how bad it is. Nothing else in the TV is this basic of an interface, it just has a 1-9 & 0 button list and prev-ch is delete. The buttons act as phone dial letters and the #1 is punctuation. HOWEVER, when you get to the password field, 1-9&0 is only good for a-j or A-J. So connecting by this method is a no go!!!

If I choose the PIN method as OP noted, it tells me on the app "PIN Accepted" then brings me right back to the list of methods to login. I can choose to login via pin constantly and it "succeeds" but dumps me back to this screen waiting for me to login.

Now, before you ask, yes - I can connect to the server both in the network and from outside of the network. Other cell phones and computers connect with no issue.

It would seem the app is REALLY old or basic, and it seems to not be working. When I look at the web dashboard, it does not list the new device as having ever connected, but like I said, the web browser working on the computer is saying the pin succeeded. Is this an app outdated issue (even though I am running the latest the samsung app store is providing me), or is there "some other port" I need to open on the firewall?

So.... minutes later (after struggling with this for wuite a while yesterday), I got it. Here's what I learned for anyone else that finds themselves here:

To use the 1990's style text keypad, use the "-" button (or button to the left of "0") to toggle the entry modes: XT9 xt9 A 1 .

This works for entry on the username, server ip etc. It does not seem to work for the password entry.

If all goes well, technically you wont need to enter much info lol. When you use Emby Connect, and get the pin successful message, it will dump you back at the connect screen. I changed my dashboard settings to NOT require a password for LOCAL CONNECTIONS and then reconnected via the servers username, and bam in I went.

If anyone figures out how to enter a password let us know! (PS, my tv in the bedroom is a UN40J520DAFXZA from 2015).

Edited by noybman

• 2 weeks later...

I do not know how to access that info? When it loaded it;it appeared to have 0.113 (might have been .111) at a glance, but thats memory guessing. It was whatever version was live on Samsung App store. Now that it is loaded, I cannot see how to access the version number info. I downloaded the file to USB stick to try to get it to update, but it just sees the usb stick and wants to access it for videos or pictures.

I'll help if you can tell me how to get the info, thanks for responding

If anyone figures out how to enter a password let us know! (PS, my tv in the bedroom is a UN40J520DAFXZA from 2015).

Thank you

FrostByte

Thank you

You can get the version number of the app you have by going to the server dashboard while the app is running.  Under active devices you should see your Samsung TV listed and inside the box will be the version number.

• 2 weeks later...

Your 2015 should be supported.  Is your TV connected to the Internet at the time your try?  I get that message sometimes when my TV isn't connected