hi,

so my setup:

roku 3 box (4200x)

emby roku app

emby server running on a win7 notebook

i have a paid m3u file from a provider

fully wired connection (100mbit)

i can configure streams to be ts or m3u8

before december 2018, using m3u8, i could direct play streams on roku using emby live tv.

now it only works if i allow remux, otherwise when i hit play, emby exits to roku homescreen. (i read in a different topic about beta roku app, i tried, makes no difference)

if i enable audio transcoding and video conversion without re-encoding, both ts and m3u8 streams open.

this wouldnt be a major issue, because when i check my server's task manager, the CPU usage is minimal during remuxing.

however, the problem is that quite randomly, mainly higher res and higher bitrate streams are often interrupted with the 'loading' screen, to the point that its quite unwatchable.

this issue only affects the roku box. when i watch the same live channels on emby live tv using chrome browser on the windows notebook that is the emby server, it works fine... furthermore, even another win7 notebook in the same network, but wifi (!), also using the chrome browser on the web emby page, streaming is perfect.

im sorry i cant get my head around providing a log file, can you say something based on my description, please?

thanks

• Like 1

Hi.  The first thing I would do is simplify things by specifying TS for the streams from your provider.

Does that solve your issues?

roku emby app version 3.0 build 134

emby server version 4.0.1.0

also, i tried to play around with video quality settings in the roku emby app, but it makes no difference.

the roku should be able to handle these streams... the steams themselves are fine (tested on other devices)... emby as a server and player and the live tv settings seem fine as it works using the emby web app (chrome)... it can only be the issue with the emby app on roku, no?

First things first, you will need to re-enable the user permission for video transcoding. When you change those settings it may cause things to fail and that's exactly the situation that we're in now.

Please re-enable that, and then if you have a problem, then let's look at the log files from that. Thanks !

Try lowering the in-app quality setting in the Roku app. Try setting it to 3 mbps. Then work your way up from that. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

i tried that before, it only made things worse, because if i set the in-app video quality too low, the higher-res streams were then transcoded by the server, causing even more interruptions, because the server couldnt keep up with the workload, plus the server cpu was constantly running 100%.

but more to the point: roku can handle these m3u8 streams without transcoding or remuxing, it has worked before december. it is something in the roku emby app, because as i said on the emby web app these streams are fine

previously i had all transcoding options off in the user settings and live tv used to work without issues (direct play).

i dont need transcoding because all my content is compatible to direct play.

Right but if you're going to change the setting, then you have to accept that it may cause playback failures. 

5c4e828f1fe45_Untitled.png

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

any news on this?

in the meantime i have removed emby from roku and added emby beta - but there all iptv streams fail, so i went back to the normal emby.

having changed the transcoding settings, its clear that this issue is unrelated.

as i have said above: before a certain update, these streams used to work on roku without any transcoding or re-encoding (remixing).

Edited by balazs

well, this is from a paid service, i was told not to give out this m3u, and also, if they notice a different ip address or duplicate streaming, they might ban me

samuelqwe

hi,

any news on this?

in the meantime i have removed emby from roku and added emby beta - but there all iptv streams fail, so i went back to the normal emby.

having changed the transcoding settings, its clear that this issue is unrelated.

as i have said above: before a certain update, these streams used to work on roku without any transcoding or re-encoding (remixing).

I’ve noticed in my testing that the beta will fail to play every single live TV channel unless it is started from the guide. I’ve reported this issue in another thread already.

samuelqwe

hi,

any news on this?

I’ve noticed in my testing that the beta will fail to play every single live TV channel unless it is started from the guide. I’ve reported this issue in another thread already.

after having done some extensive experimenting, there are a few findings that i'd like to share...

- bottom line is, for some reason emby needs to remux m3u streams, which must be a bug, as just 2 months ago these same streams direct played fine;

- i removed and reinstalled emby server and client on every device, tried both beta (server and client) and the official stable release. right now i stayed with beta windows emby server and roku emby beta.

1. after a fresh install, live tv works fine, without epg.

2. then, after adding epg, things slow down a bit and there is the occasional "loading" screen while streaming

3. after adding all my media libraries to the mix, which is extensive, hundreds of movies and tv shows... that is when live tv starts to act up, randomly some channels become unwatchable with "loading" every few seconds. changing the channel sometimes would resolve this, but as i said, its all quite random - not ideal.

4. then i did something as a trial: installed another emby server on another windows notebook, with only adding live tv (no other libraries) and no epg. and removed live tv from the main server with all the home media libraries. this way, when i start emby on roku, i have to change between the 2 servers, which is a bit of a nuisance, but live tv is now flawless. despite the fact the this second notebook i installed the live tv emby server on is wireless, while the other one is wired. both identical, lenovo t500 notebooks.

but the main issue is still that emby server for some reason refuses to direct play ts or m3u8 streams.

oh, one more thing...

at one point during my testing, i reverted back to emby server for windows 3.5... lo and behold, both ts and m3u8 streams direct played (!) on roku, whether i was using the official emby release or the beta

copied from that other thread, just following up in this one:

EDIT: Solved.. Reference: Fix #231: Fix LiveTV issues. This fix will be in the next beta. Thanks for reporting the issue.