How is it best to set up Emby with HDHomerun?

F1nchy

Hi guys

I have a HDHomerun and have just signed up for Emby Premiere, but I'm not sure how best to set the two up to work best. 

Until now I have had the HDHomerun set up to save recordings to my Synology NAS (I'd rather it on my QNap NAS but it's a ballache with the QNap to get it to set up and keeps needing to be re-setup). 

Now I am starting to use Emby I'm trying to work out the best way to configure both for recordings and am not sure how they work together. 

When I set up a recording in EMby, does that recording data get saved and managed by Emby, or does Emby just act as a front end for HDHomerun and HDHomerun does all the recording? If I specify a different path to the HDHomerun default in the DVR config in Emby, will that mean they have seperate recordings? 

And if I still set up any recordings via the HDHomerun app, will Emby see those (both the recordings and the schedule shows/series links)? 

Likewise, if I am watching the HDHomerun via Kodi and set it to record, will it show under the recordings for Emby as well? 

Hope that makes sense....!

OK, so if I have two Emby servers both with access to the HDHomerun I cant set them both up to share recordings, scheduling, etc? 

It's a pain as my QNap won't play with HDHomerun very nicely whereas my Synology will, but the QNap is my main media server, the Synology just for my movie archive, so I can configure HDHomerun itself to use the Synology easily but not the QNap, but if I have Emby saving TV shows to a folder on the QNap I can't just point other apps to it to have it all centralised! 

Thinking I might be better to ditch the HDHomerun apps completely and just use Emby for Live TV, although on my lounge TV I use Kodi with a HDHomerun addon and occasionally just want to record a show via that. 

Hmmm.....!

Well you can't really share scheduling, but yes you could point them both to the same folders of your existing recordings.

OK, thanks. 

OK, so I set Emby to save to a path on my QNap, which is the same folder HDHomerun is saving to (I thought I'd try HDHR saving to it to see how long it keeps the path and credentials). Last night I set Emby up to record the ten oclock news, Question Time and This Week, and HDHR already had series links for QT and This Week - all on BBC1 or BBC2 HD. 

HDHomerun saved QT and This Week into that folder (\\QNAP\HDHomeRun), and Emby also saved a version to the same folder (the Emby ones have more accurate folder names, scraped better). However, when I go to TV recordings in Emby there are no recordings there, but when I browse to the folder on my laptop I can see all the recordings are there, both HDHR's and Emby's. Any ideas why? I can see the HDHR recordings in the HDHR app. 

HDHR saves a log file into that folder, but I can't see any for Emby, just the folder for each show, which then has the thumbnail and nfo with the video - should Emby save any other log files or anything in there? Could the HDHR files be causing Emby not to see anything in the folder? 

Also, a quick Q on how Emby works with recordings so I can understand better; when HDHR makes a recording it saves is as an AVC .mpg file, but Emby's recordings are TS files. SO how is this working? Is HDHR remuxing the orginal recording from a TS to mpg as it comes into the HDHR and gets saved? 

And how does Emby get it from HDHR? Does it just tell the HDHR to play a channel and directly grabs that stream and leave it as that? So it's kind of grabbing that from here and putting it there? I'm assuming the orginal HD channel stream is TS and not mpg.....

Presumably with my test last night the HDHR effectively had two tuners picking up the shows, one for HDHR and one for Emby.

Does that make sense? I'm trying to get my head around how they both work as I'll understand the whole setup better if I understand the principals behind it!

My HDHR is a quattro by the way, so it has four tuners. 

Edited by F1nchy

Read/write for all main users (ie admin, my, hdhomerun and my Shield TV user access account). No access for guest or anonymous users. 

It's recording there so presumbaly the permissions are fine for that? What user account would Emby use on the QNap?

Edited by F1nchy

I've just set it up to record a couple more shows to test but they're still not showing in Emby but the recordings are there on the NAS, so  it's definately recording.

Read/write for all main users (ie admin, my, hdhomerun and my Shield TV user access account). No access for guest or anonymous users. 

It's recording there so presumbaly the permissions are fine for that? What user account would Emby use on the QNap?

The server sets up an emby user account.

I've just logged into the QNap control panel to look at the permissions again and there isn't an Emby user account on mine, it's definately not created one. Any ideas? 

There's definately no Emby user account on teh QNap, it can't have set it up on install. Can I create it manually? What would I need to use for the username and password, and how do I tell Emby that's what it is?

Hi guys
What's the best solution here? I'm thinking I may need to uninstall Emby and reinstall it to see if it creates the required Emby user account, but is there a way to back up the config and then restore? It'll be a pain to have to re-set it all back up again.
Thanks

Is anyone able to help me here please? I have tried uninstalling Emby Server on the QNap and then reinstalling it, but it just picked up the existing installation, users etc, so must leave files behind after uninstalling. I can't find the location of the Emby instalation files on the QNap to delete them - any idea where they are? 

Can you start emby server? You'll be able to see the data folder path in the emby server dashboard under the paths section.

Hi Luke
Ive left it over night and restarted it and it does now seem to be picking up the shows, thankfully. Trakt is throwing up errors again though.... I'll put that in my Trakt help thread! 

Thanks