TVheadend + Emby Guide Data

bigjme

Hello,

I'm brand new to IPTV and am just trying to get my head around it and integrated with EMBY

So i have TVHeadend set up on my network. This is all set up with channels including numbers, and names so all good so far and i can watch the TV live via the web ui or via VLC

So in EMBY i set up a new TV source of m3u with the file url of:

http://192.168.0.80:9981/playlist

Attached is a copy of this playlist file. I then went and added a TV guide data and as i wasn't sure what was best for normal UK freeview i went with "United Kingdom (extended) - Cable" as my lineup

This seems to have downloaded ok and has applied fine however i have a few issues when viewing the guide:

1. Around 80% of all channels in the guide have no data - i have tried the freeview, freesat and OTA linueups as well with the same result
  2. The channel order is entirely wrong although they are in the right order in the m3u, i know there is an issue but it seems to just go by alphabetic order right now
    1. Oddly when i click on the tv guide data provider and then click "map channels" they do all show in the correct order...

As i'm fairly new i'm unsure if this is something i have messed up in TVHeadend or if its something i need to change in EMBY somewhere

I know there are rather a few people with issues and likely a few with my exact setup so sorry if this has been covered already

Regards,

Jamie

Hi, it could be that our guide data just doesn't have data for your channels. The guide data sources we have are meant for cable and OTA. They're not really designed for IPTV. You may want to look at a true iptv epg provider, such as these guys for example:

https://www.iptv-epg.com/

You can create an xmltv data feed on their site and then import that into Emby as your guide data.

atomicmoon

Hi, it could be that our guide data just doesn't have data for your channels. The guide data sources we have are meant for cable and OTA. They're not really designed for IPTV. You may want to look at a true iptv epg provider, such as these guys for example:

https://www.iptv-epg.com/

You can create an xmltv data feed on their site and then import that into Emby as your guide data.

I use this service and from my experience it does exactly what you are asking for, among other tools and options. There is also Xtream-Editor.com that offers a similar service. Bigjme if you end up going down this route and have questions feel free to message me and I'll help out. They can be a bit overwhelming at first, but after a couple of edits it's pretty straight forward.

Hi All,

Sorry i think i may have confused things by saying IPTV. To me this is but to many of you it won't be (i.e. its not from an internet source)

So my setup is as follows:

Normal TV Aerial -> Raspberry PI TV Hat (on a pi) -> TVHeadend -> Emby

So its a similar setup to how a HDHomerunner would be i believe i.e. its just normal tv coming through. For example i get TV guide for itv2, itv4, but not itv, itv3 etc.

TVHeadend has managed to grab the TV guide using its normal OTA epg grabber so i'd presume this should be fine as just normal OTA

Regards,

Jamie

Hi.  Yes, if you are using a 3rd party app to handle your TV then you would need to use that app for your guide data as well.

Thanks ebr, I think I just figured it out and have pulled through the epg to emby via the xmltv listing which seems to have worked - I will post the path later in case it helps anyone

I have a feeling there may be a different m3u file I need to pull to get the channels in the correct order now but I'm unsure what a properly ordered m3u file should look like

We plan to expand our channel management features in the near future to allow you to reorder them after importing. Thanks.

Hi Luke

So are they fixed to the current order regardless of what I do with the m3u or do you mean so we can order them without changing the m3u?

Regards,

Jamie

They are currently fixed to the channel numbers assigned to the channels within the m3u, and if there are none, then sequential numbers will be assigned.

Thanks Luke

For anyone looking for the same thing, this is my setup:

Live TV Source - m3u: http://192.168.0.80:9981/playlist/

TV Guide Source: http://192.168.0.80:9981/xmltv/channels

Just make sure TVHeadend has the EPG pulled through and EMBY works fine with guide data.

Regarding the TV channels, TVHeadend currently does not put the tvg-chno into the m3u file, this is already a feature in version 4.4 of TVHeadend (https://tvheadend.org/versions/60 - Feature #5011) so its just a case of wait and see :)

planetwilson

Thanks Luke

For anyone looking for the same thing, this is my setup:

Live TV Source - m3u: http://192.168.0.80:9981/playlist/

TV Guide Source: http://192.168.0.80:9981/xmltv/channels

Just make sure TVHeadend has the EPG pulled through and EMBY works fine with guide data.

Regarding the TV channels, TVHeadend currently does not put the tvg-chno into the m3u file, this is already a feature in version 4.4 of TVHeadend (https://tvheadend.org/versions/60 - Feature #5011) so its just a case of wait and see :)

So I am doing exactly the same thing as you (with xbox tuner instead of rpi hat one) but I am not too sure what you mean by the second link to /xmltv/channels ?

I can load the first as it returns an m3u file and that is what I have configured as the Live TV source in emby. What are you doing with the second one? I don't get a response from that URL on mine?

If you have the epg set up and working in tvheadend then that second file will contain the TV guide data, it's normally a fairly large file so can take a while to load

Regards,

Jamie

planetwilson

Aaaah, I see, Ihave enabled tvguide and bleb for the UK. Then I have added it to emby, currently refreshing... If I also have the internal Emby one set up as well what happens then? i.e. I am not sure what the effect of two epg grabbers in TVHeadEnd and two sources in emby will be?

I'm unsure how it will react, I would presume one takes priority over the other but I'm not sure how that side works

For the epg I had to go into expert view, and edit the epg grabber modules. I'm using the OTA module which seems to fetch everything I need but does take a bit

If the epg is working the second link should contain information and the epg link in tvheadend should contain data

Q-Droid

The EPG providers configured directly in Emby is the preferable option. TVH as the source filters out some of the information available from the original provider. Some time ago I did a side-by-side comparison with Schedules Direct as the provider for both Emby and TVH. The TVH sourced guide (/xmltv URL) was missing a lot of show info that was available in the Emby sourced guide.

So right now i've added both the EMBY guide and the TVH guide and they seem to work fine along side each other. the EMBY guide seems to just fill in the missing bits from TVH but i can;t reply on it as it doesn;t detect the majority on my OTA channels

Q-Droid

So right now i've added both the EMBY guide and the TVH guide and they seem to work fine along side each other. the EMBY guide seems to just fill in the missing bits from TVH but i can;t reply on it as it doesn;t detect the majority on my OTA channels

When you say it doesn't detect do you mean that some of your OTA channels are not in the Emby guide data or that Emby can't automatically match the TVH channels to the guide listings? If it's the second one then make sure the channel names in your m3u can match at least one of the <display-name> entries in the Emby epg. I've had problems with customized channel names so if you've changed any of your channel names it can cause matching problems. The TVH epg includes the channel name and channel ID but a third party epg would not know the channel ID from TVH, only the name. Channel numbers should help though I don't know if format has to be the same, as in "11_1" vs "11.1". I'm on TVH 4.2.7 so it doesn't have numbers in the m3u.

Edited by Q-Droid

Emby can't automatically map them I believe

I'm on a 4.2 build as well so the m3u file is pretty restricted. It's using the default names but just can't map some of them

For example it maps itv 2 automatically but not itv or itv 4

Its not really an issue right now as the mix of the 2 seems to be working fairly well

Just wanted to say thanks to bigjme.  This method means I can have emby doing the recording, rather than tvh, and I even managed to record 17 shows at once as a test with no issues.

• 4 weeks later...

So just to confirm with everyone, I ha e upgraded tvheadend to the latest unstable build (4.3-1768) just to check out the TV guide and the channel numbers are all mapped through correctly and are ordered as you'd expect. Embys own TV guide seems to pick up the channels properly based on the channel numbers as well but I've still left in the xmltv just in case