Missing Library Data

Joe704

Opened EMBY 4.0 to watch a movie this morning and the library I selected was empty. So, I installed the update to 4.0.1.0 and give it some time to do whatever it needs to do. Tried to call up a movie and again I get nothing.

Emby Server is installed on a Synology DS718+ running on DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 4 running as a NAS

The movies that are stored in the NAS folder are still updating and I can see the names and metadata.

The missing (not displayed but still on their hard drives) movies are in shared folders on my network. Before the upgrade to EMBY 4.0 these were working properly

The Library names are still displayed, but opening the library shows "No Items". 

The Metadata Manager still show the list of "Media Folders" but clicking on any of the folders that are not physically on the NAS shows no data.

Bottom line.... Anything on the NAS where EMBY Server is installed seems to work. Any that was being accessed off of my network has vanished. Only change has been allowing EMBY to update to 4.0 and then 4.0.1.0  Suggestions please.

Last bit of information.  I can see my NAS folders with my computer (Windows 8.1 File Explorer). I can not and never have been able to see any of my computer network from the Synology File Station package.

post-292936-0-87163800-1548270116_thumb.jpg

post-292936-0-45022800-1548270117_thumb.jpg

post-292936-0-95535900-1548270117_thumb.jpg

Not sure which log but I did remember you showed me how to do this. Hope this gets you the info you need.

sendlogs_Area51_synology_apollolake_718+_20190123T192948UTC.tgz

Thanks

Joe

Tried your suggestion but ran into a small problem. When I attempted to mount over 20 remote folders, I got an error.  Any place I can go to increase the limit? A way to mount the entire drive instead of just folders? Nest the folders so its like a big family tree?  Don't know if a scan will pick up the ones I managed to get mounted yet. Thanks.

"My advice when configuring libraries that use content stored externally is detailed here : '

post-292936-0-62696300-1548283479_thumb.jpg

solabc16

Hello @@Joe704

How are the folders arranged on your remote system, are they all on a single physical / logical drive?

If you can place all of the folders you want to share under a common folder, you'd only need to share that folder and connect to that from your NAS.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

You are just too good!!! 

Everything was on the same physical drive. I created a new folder and moved all the other folders into it. I then shared that folder and let the sub-folders inherit the properties of the main folder. Easy enough to then mount the one folder (thanks)  and go in and change the file paths for the individual libraries. Run a "Scan All Libraries"  and everything appears to be back. Probably in better shape than ever. Total time about 3 1/2 hours most of which was the scan. Now if I can only keep from breaking things again. Only strange thing I notice is on the libraries. There is only one file path listed for the library but some of them indicate two.

So glad you can figure out how people like me mess things up and put us on the right path.

Thanks!

Joe

post-292936-0-62214000-1548302879_thumb.jpg

post-292936-0-31151900-1548302880_thumb.jpg

Yea the problem is you are adding individual tv series as an emby library. What you should do instead is add the folder above that.

Add this as a TV library, with series folders underneath that. This is all discussed in our TV Naming Guidelines. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

Thanks, I'll see if I like that method a little later.

I think I did find the real problem. I went to a library showing "2 folders"  and when I called up the "Manage Library" option I saw the expected entry in the folder block (folder1). Don't know why, but I decided to delete and re-enter it. When I deleted it, this is what I saw (folder2). For some reason when I entered the new folder, it covered the original folder path so I could only see the one I had just entered. I deleted all folders and redirected to the correct folder and now am only seeing the one folder listing. Verified this was the same on the other libraries displaying "2 folders". I'm pretty sure that some of the libraries showed both file paths (one over the other) (folder3) after I entered the second one and then I deleted the original. That's why some just had one listed and the others were saying "2 folders".

Thanks,

Joe

post-292936-0-60183500-1548372246_thumb.jpg

post-292936-0-04874400-1548372247_thumb.jpg

post-292936-0-53696000-1548372547_thumb.jpg

Edited by Joe704

Happy2Play

Not sure what those two screenshots are suppose to show but a Library can never be setup to point directly at items.  I guess you can't say never, but pointing directly at these items you will have display/identification issues.

Your library should point "smb://SPHINX" or "/volume1/VideoZ/Remote Movies".

Edited by Happy2Play

Well. the folder that the individual files are in is named "Extinct (2017). The original library file was  "smb://SPHINX/Extinct (2017) which was operating until the upgrade to EMBY 4.0.  The individual items (episodes) are in that folder

The attachments above are showing what I saw when opened "Manage Library" for my library named "Extinct (2017). Notice that there is only one filename in the radio box. When I deleted (-) the "/volume1/VideoZ/Remote Movies/Extinct (2017), the second attachment is what I saw immediately with "smb://SPHINX/Extinct (2017)" in the radio box.

The third attachment is what I have always seen when I had multiple paths to the same library.

Bottom line.... I had never noticed "2 folders" on my library listings before and asked why, when I knew there was only one being displayed.

Attachment shows what I am talking about.

Thanks

post-292936-0-10946300-1548388528_thumb.jpg

Happy2Play

What do you see when open it  click the image or menu option "manage library"?

Happy2Play

@@Luke

Looking at the last image in post 9 is this "Automatically merge series that are spread across multiple folders"? 

This option is a per TV library option.

Edited by Happy2Play

@@Luke

Looking at the last image in post 9 is this "Automatically merge series that are spread across multiple folders"? 

This option is a per TV library option.

@@Happy2Play i don't follow. what are you suggesting?

Everything is a "Movie" library right now so there is no selection to merge series across.... I'm just a baby with this and its like learning Latin right now. This is a whole new vocabulary for me.

When I clicked on the "manage library" of one that was saying "2 files" the screen that popped up was post #9 "folder1.jpg". I clicked on the (-) to delete the file path in the "folders" radio block and immediately post #9 "folder2.jpg" was displayed. I deleted (-) the  "smb://SPHINX/Extinct (2017)" file path and was left with a empty radio block. I entered the file path to the library (folder) and the library display changed to show only the one path (post 11 right library).

Post 9 "folder3.jpg" is a screenshot showing 2 paths to a library which was what I was normally presented with. I had the message "2 files" but only could see 1 of them until I deleted it to allow the other to be displayed.

Post 11 "files.jpg"    left is the library displayed before changing the folders radio block ---  right is after deleting 2 folders and putting one back in (shows only a single path). 

Edited by Joe704

Maybe these will help a little.

Local network "Remote Movies" has now been mounted as a remote folder "Remote Movies" in the NAS.

post-292936-0-90929900-1548393632_thumb.jpg

post-292936-0-41450800-1548393633_thumb.jpg

Everything is good now. I didn't know why I was getting the "2 files" on the library until I discovered one entry was hiding another instead of showing both at the same time. Everything is good.

Thanks

solabc16

Thanks for the update @@Joe704, glad we were able to put you on a better path - in terms of how to structure and connect your remote libraries.

I'm sure this will help out other users as well.

Best

- James