playing off an attached volume

aikandianshi

aikandianshi

Using Emby Server Mac OSX 4.0.1.0 on MacOS High Sierra (v. 10.13.6).

I have been using Emby for several years now.  My media files are organised into 3 libraries - 2 being folders on the hard disk of my iMac, the third being located on an external USB drive attached to the iMac.  In the past I have been able to read files from all 3 libraries, but at present I can only play files from the first two libraries.  With regard to the third library, the server lists the media files on it, but if I try to play one of the video files it throws up the message: "No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details."

Assuming this had something to do with playing from an external volume, I added to this third library a folder (call it X) from the iMac hard-disk, and found, sure enough, that I could play files from that folder X without difficulty.  I also verified that if I copied a file from the external drive into folder X I could play it no problem, even though I could not play that file direct from the external volume.

I have tried doing a re-scan of the third library, but the files located on the external drive are still unplayable, as described above.

I've not had this problem before.  Any suggestions?

rondawes

I just installed Emby on my Mac this morining and have my media on a NAS.  I had to use the Mac Finder to open the folder where my media is located first.  Now Emby can play from it.  Apparently the volume must be open first.

That's a good point. If the volume is not open, I believe that will currently be a problem. Thanks.

aikandianshi

Thanks for your thoughts.  The external drive was, of course, open - otherwise I could not have copied a file from it to my hard-drive.  What I had forgotten, though, was that a week or so ago I had changed the name of my external drive, substituting underscores for spaces in its name, so no wonder I couldn't access it properly.  I've now reversed that change, and it's all working fine.