SSL on LG Emby app - Does it even work?

jaspils

I have had Emby for quite a time now and recently bought Emby Premiere so I could use it on more platforms. I have my Emby server running locally on Debian and can connect remotely through my domain (assume my.domain.com). 

Emby works fine (with SSL) on following the devices I tested:

• Android app
  • iOS app
  • Windows Store app
  • Xbox One app
  • Most PCs web interface

However, I could not get it working with SSL on my LG TV with WebOS 3.5 (LG OLED55B6V if it matters). It did work on a non-secure connection, but when I try to add the server as SSL connection, it simply denies connection like it doesn't even exist. Even when I log onto my Emby Connect account, it simply doesn't show the server, where all other devices do.

Now I've read some problems about the SSL certificate (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/57575-lg-emby-app-106-ssl-problem-connecting-to-server/), I'm currently using Comodo PostiveSSL as a certificate, which I have seen at least one other person have problems with as wel. However, I've also seen that some people with Let'sEncrypt have this problem. (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/61481-unable-to-connect-over-https/)

There is suggested that LG is simply blocking my certificate, but when I go to my site with the WebOS webbrowser (same certificate), it allows the certificate and shows the site as 'secure'. So somewhere the TV actually does allow the certificate. So I'm not sure where the problem resides.

Also, I've shortly tested it on a PS4 from a friend. There was no app, so I used the built-in webbrowser. It also didn't seem to work there, seemed to have the same problem: simply not showing the server. Didn't have much time to test it there, so don't pin me on this.

My question is: does anyone have Emby running over SSL with any certificate on LG WebOS 3.5? If so, what certificate do you use?

The question for PS4 is do the devices trust your certificate? As far as the LG app goes, that's interesting that the browser works. We haven't actually spent a whole lot of time on this yet, but it's something we can look into. Thanks.

Well, the PS4 is the least of my worries, since it's not even my own device. However, I would like it to work on my TV. (It does work without SSL though, but I really prefer SSL).

I'm just very interested if someone at all has Emby working over SSL on LG, and with what certificate, because I might just get that specific certificate (next time). 

This has come up a few times and I'm not aware of anyone getting it to work successfully.  There is very little on the developer site which suggests it is just not supported.

At the very bottom of this page there is reference to 'Trusted Root Certificates in webOS TV' 

http://webostv.developer.lge.com/discover/webos-tv-platform/web-engine/

Dumping these out gives me this list, but I'm not sure it helps

certs.txt

Edited by SamES

kwilcox

@@Luke, I have not.  One thing I do know is that screenplay only ever worked when a legitimate (not self signed) cert was installed on Emby Server.  You folks are on the right track by examining the trusted roots installed on the TV.  Probably will need a cert chained to one of those installed.  Lets Encrypt certs did work (at least on WebOS 3.0 and <) but that appears to no longer be the case.

Edited by kwilcox

MarshallandConnie

I just bought a LG smart tv and the Emby app on it doesn't work at all I have baconfeet and can't see anything on any of my categories. I contacted LG and what a waste of time they are. Any idea on update

I just bought a LG smart tv and the Emby app on it doesn't work at all I have baconfeet and can't see anything on any of my categories. I contacted LG and what a waste of time they are. Any idea on update

Hi there, can you please describe your problem in more detail? Thanks !

• 3 years later...
Teredactle

Old thread, not sure if there is something newer on same topic. I've shared my family libraries with my brother and my dad. For both it's working fine over browser. My brother's side also works on the LG TV via the Emby app. For my dad on the LG TV it's not working via the app, tested in a browser app on the LG TV and that also works.

All things point to the Emby app on the LG TV that's the issue (v1.0.33 updated 16/03/2022 - latest version seems like as my brother was at my dad's place and had to install the app and this is what got installed).

If there is a known issue with the Emby app(s) on LGs is there a tracker that would show this somewhere? I've asked my brother to check his LG Emby app version. 

@SamES

rbjtech
10 hours ago, Teredactle said:

Old thread, not sure if there is something newer on same topic. I've shared my family libraries with my brother and my dad. For both it's working fine over browser. My brother's side also works on the LG TV via the Emby app. For my dad on the LG TV it's not working via the app, tested in a browser app on the LG TV and that also works.

All things point to the Emby app on the LG TV that's the issue (v1.0.33 updated 16/03/2022 - latest version seems like as my brother was at my dad's place and had to install the app and this is what got installed).

If there is a known issue with the Emby app(s) on LGs is there a tracker that would show this somewhere? I've asked my brother to check his LG Emby app version. 

@SamES

You don't mention if you are using TLS/SSL but if you are, then it's likely related to the Certificate provider and the LG TV not accepting it.

Have a look here - https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/102144-several-lg-tvs-cannot-connect-to-server/&do=findComment&comment=1118348

Teredactle

I"m using SSL and everything is working from my brother's LG smart TV and he's running the same app version as my dad, he got back to me last night with a screenshot v.1.0.33).

All other devices work in my dad's network (via browser - laptops, desktops) so it's pointing to the LG TV, however to me it doesn't make sense that it works on one TV and not the other, in particular since both are running the same app version.

Do LG smart TVs have some other setting(s) firewall or such where this could be an issue. It is able to use the internet as youtbe playback is fine. I've asked my brother when he has the time, to try installing a browser app and try to connect through https on the browser to see if that works.

That's an interesting post, thanks for the link. If connection to Emby remotely from the TV via a web browser is working, I would conclude that it's not a cert issue and that solution you posted a link to may not do anything. Would that be accurate?

rbjtech
1 hour ago, Teredactle said:

That's an interesting post, thanks for the link. If connection to Emby remotely from the TV via a web browser is working, I would conclude that it's not a cert issue and that solution you posted a link to may not do anything. Would that be accurate?

Not necessarily because the browsers generally have their own set of root certificates - the 'Apps' will use a different set, thus the problem that link above is try to resolve.  The App is not the issue here - it's the TV's root certificate chain - ie the WebOS version.

The newer apps (not LG - yet) have a TLS bypass where you can force a 'trust' with emby even though the Cert is being rejected.  I know the Android App has this - so this may be in the pipeline for the LG App too ?

Edited by rbjtech

Exactly, the browser and webviews utilized by apps are not the same thing. We see that on almost every platform.

SamES

I wrote this reply last night, but didn’t hit send, so apologies if you’re already on top of this. 

Newer TV’s will have updated root certificates, so that may be the difference between the two TV’s 

You haven’t mentioned, but I’m assuming you’re using a Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate. It is a known issue due to the root certificates built into the tv for let’s encrypt have expired. The recommended solution is to use a ZeroSSL certificate as this is still supported

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
unisoft

DIGICERT (Fasthosts UK/UKREG offer this as do many other domain/hosting companies) works fine on my remote HTTPS connection to LG TV's of differing models (2016 -2020 models). The CA has to be in the TV's trusted CA list. Also works with Apple TV, ROKU and Amazon Fire TV Max Stick.

Edited by unisoft