Playback Error No compatible streams are currently available.

Detail4687

• 1 month later...
rednekcowboy

In my case, no of my TV Shows are playing at all but it seems that it is not including all subfolders, even if it lists the latest episodes added under suggestions.

My structure is like this :

TV Shows -> Show -> Season -> Episodes

Though maybe I am not being patient enough and allowing it time to do the full scan as this is my initial setup.  Converting over from Plex.

Lots of Series so a tonne of subfolders and video files.

EDIT: It does appear to be still scanning my movies folder.  I guess it only does one at a time.

EDIT2:  So it seems that the process got stuck during the movie folder phase of scanning so I have removed both folders and just added back the TV folder.  I will let that run and complete before I add the movies folder.

Seems to be extremely tempermental when dealing with large libraries.

EDIT3:  Seems to be a problem cause by the Trailer Plugin I installed.  Seems to be moving better now.  Will add the movies folder back to the library once the TV folder is done scanning.  Still pretty slow but at leas there is forward movement.

Edited by rednekcowboy

In my case, no of my TV Shows are playing at all but it seems that it is not including all subfolders, even if it lists the latest episodes added under suggestions.

My structure is like this :

TV Shows -> Show -> Season -> Episodes

Though maybe I am not being patient enough and allowing it time to do the full scan as this is my initial setup.  Converting over from Plex.

Lots of Series so a tonne of subfolders and video files.

EDIT: It does appear to be still scanning my movies folder.  I guess it only does one at a time.

EDIT2:  So it seems that the process got stuck during the movie folder phase of scanning so I have removed both folders and just added back the TV folder.  I will let that run and complete before I add the movies folder.

Seems to be extremely tempermental when dealing with large libraries.

EDIT3:  Seems to be a problem cause by the Trailer Plugin I installed.  Seems to be moving better now.  Will add the movies folder back to the library once the TV folder is done scanning.  Still pretty slow but at leas there is forward movement.

Hi, yes sometimes it's just a matter of waiting for the scan to finish. Thanks.

jimml1

I am having the same problem. Everything was working fine until yesterday.

I am running the Emby server from a Synology NAS.

When I try playing media from Chrome on a Mac. I get the Playback Error.

When I try playing media from a Shield box I get Too Many Errors.

Server Version 4.3.1.0

Attached are the server logs.

This may or may not be a related matter.

I cannot update from 4.3.1.0 to 4.4.0.40.

The dashboard says that 4.4.0.40 is available for download,

but there is no option to update in the package center.

I am having the same problem. Everything was working fine until yesterday.

I am running the Emby server from a Synology NAS.

When I try playing media from Chrome on a Mac. I get the Playback Error.

When I try playing media from a Shield box I get Too Many Errors.

Server Version 4.3.1.0

Attached are the server logs.

This may or may not be a related matter.

I cannot update from 4.3.1.0 to 4.4.0.40.

The dashboard says that 4.4.0.40 is available for download,

but there is no option to update in the package center.

Hi there @@jimml1 we're sorry to hear about this. can we please look at an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

Hoochee

Ran across this thread as I'm setting up a temp server after I lost RAID drives and need to rebuild. No doubt only a small population that will have this same issue/cause but seems I should add to this thread rather than creating a new one. Also curious to know if what I describe is expected behavior

After a couple of days of running the temp server I started getting the stream error when trying to play media from three of my four TV libraries and eventually found it was because those three were set up with folder references that no longer existed. Here's how that happened...

My emby server was on a NAS where all the media files were stored. I lost two drives and when I tried to rebuild the array it just wasn't working, but I could still access the media so I set up a new, temp emby server on a laptop and pointed it to the NAS media locations. Then I started moving all the media from the NAS to external USBs, then updated my libraries by adding the new folder locations. So that meant the libraries had folder locations set as [old locations on NAS] and [new locations on external USBs]. I did this for all four TV libraries so when I found one worked and three got the stream error it was odd. Then I looked back at the NAS and found that while I moved all the media for three of the libraries (the ones with a stream error on every file on the new server), I inadvertently moved all the media from one library leaving only an empty folder (the one that worked on the new server). On the three libraries with a stream error I removed the dead folder reference and the stream error went away. Just for grins I did this: on the NAS I re-added empty folders named the same as the three that were missing, re-added the folder references to my libraries and all worked fine. So it seems emby doesn't like a dead/missing folder reference but it's ok with one that's empty.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a codec i could maybe install that would allow me to play this file? Any transcoding is very taxing on the CPU in my server (I have no GPU) and I would really love to avoid it. If not I guess I'll have to transcode it myself into a compatible format or download a different copy.

Is there a codec i could maybe install that would allow me to play this file? Any transcoding is very taxing on the CPU in my server (I have no GPU) and I would really love to avoid it. If not I guess I'll have to transcode it myself into a compatible format or download a different copy.

H264 would be the most universal choice.

• 10 months later...
visualR2000

To Luke / System Architect. I am running version 4.5.4.0, worked for a brief moment and now i am receiving the "Playback Error No compatible streams are currently available" error.

I am attaching two logs, the earlier of the two i believe was the date that server was working correctly.

Currently, i am getting the same error.

I have re-scanned my library, rebooted server several times.No luck.

The server is configured with only one user, which i assume has admin privileges.

Thanks for looking into this.

ffmpeg-transcode-a59cf961-f4b9-410c-b283-04b99548b04e_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-d1d34b00-bf9e-4c91-a029-ab8b49f73019_1.txt

5 hours ago, visualR2000 said:

To Luke / System Architect. I am running version 4.5.4.0, worked for a brief moment and now i am receiving the "Playback Error No compatible streams are currently available" error.

I am attaching two logs, the earlier of the two i believe was the date that server was working correctly.

Currently, i am getting the same error.

I have re-scanned my library, rebooted server several times.No luck.

The server is configured with only one user, which i assume has admin privileges.

Thanks for looking into this.

ffmpeg-transcode-a59cf961-f4b9-410c-b283-04b99548b04e_1.txt 17.37 kB · 1 download ffmpeg-transcode-d1d34b00-bf9e-4c91-a029-ab8b49f73019_1.txt 19.11 kB · 1 download

Hi there, I notice you added windows network paths directly into emby server. what i would suggest trying instead is to mount those network paths to a local share using the tools in your host OS. Then try adding the local share path into Emby Server instead. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

visualR2000
11 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, I notice you added windows network paths directly into emby server. what i would suggest trying instead is to mount those network paths to a local share using the tools in your host OS. Then try adding the local share path into Emby Server instead. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try this and comment if this works. 

52 minutes ago, visualR2000 said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try this and comment if this works. 

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

visualR2000
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

Here is the question. For one, i have media on a USB drive that is attached to OSX.

Other media resides on additional USB drives that are configured to Open Media Vault / Raspian / Linux

Lastly,  additional media resides on USB drives attached to a Windows OS.

Your suggestion is to "mount those network paths to a local share via the OS's tools"

Do you have suggestions on how this is to be done being that i have three OS to contend with?

Thank You

14 hours ago, visualR2000 said:

Here is the question. For one, i have media on a USB drive that is attached to OSX.

Other media resides on additional USB drives that are configured to Open Media Vault / Raspian / Linux

Lastly,  additional media resides on USB drives attached to a Windows OS.

Your suggestion is to "mount those network paths to a local share via the OS's tools"

Do you have suggestions on how this is to be done being that i have three OS to contend with?

Thank You

It could vary per each, yes. You might find something like this helpful: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am having the same Problems as on the beginning of this thread, I came across the article via Google.

"Playback Error

No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administror"

My system is TrueNAS Core, and I installed the Emby Comunity Plugin. My system worked without a Problem on FreeNAS, then upgraded to TrueNAS. It was first on a HP Microserver, then as a Virtual Machine under VMware. Everything worked fine, until I decided to reinstall my TrueNAS VM and configure everything from scratch. To do that, I first made Backup of all of my data to an external USB HDD. The Disk was attached to a Windows Laptop, and everything copied just fine. After reinstall of TrueNAS, I copied everything back to TrueNAS, again over an SMB Share. I than installed the Emby Plugin, configured UID and GUID in jail to match te emby user on TrueNAS, configured mount points and configured the Library in Emby settings. All of my movies an TV-Shows imported fine, but when try to play them in a browser, i get this error. What is even stranger, all of the movies and shows can be played over uPnP (VLC Media Player). I have tried to delete the .nfo files and refresh the metadata, new .nfo files are getting written into folders, so Emby has the read-write permission on the folders.

I tried to reinstall the plugin, change the folder structure, but nothing seems to help. Could someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Versions:

TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1

Emby Version: 4.5.4.0

Jail: 12.2-RELEASE-p5

EDIT:

I looked into the logs, and there was always an error with ffmepg. I was able to reslove this issue by re-installing the ffmpeg as follows:

service emby-server stop

pkg delete -f ffmpeg

pkg install -f ffmpeg

service emby-server start

After this, content plays in browser too. So I think that there was something messed up in the ffmpeg installation.

Edited by tiggy
found a solution

On 4/5/2021 at 12:46 PM, tiggy said:

Hello,

I am having the same Problems as on the beginning of this thread, I came across the article via Google.

"Playback Error

No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administror"

My system is TrueNAS Core, and I installed the Emby Comunity Plugin. My system worked without a Problem on FreeNAS, then upgraded to TrueNAS. It was first on a HP Microserver, then as a Virtual Machine under VMware. Everything worked fine, until I decided to reinstall my TrueNAS VM and configure everything from scratch. To do that, I first made Backup of all of my data to an external USB HDD. The Disk was attached to a Windows Laptop, and everything copied just fine. After reinstall of TrueNAS, I copied everything back to TrueNAS, again over an SMB Share. I than installed the Emby Plugin, configured UID and GUID in jail to match te emby user on TrueNAS, configured mount points and configured the Library in Emby settings. All of my movies an TV-Shows imported fine, but when try to play them in a browser, i get this error. What is even stranger, all of the movies and shows can be played over uPnP (VLC Media Player). I have tried to delete the .nfo files and refresh the metadata, new .nfo files are getting written into folders, so Emby has the read-write permission on the folders.

I tried to reinstall the plugin, change the folder structure, but nothing seems to help. Could someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Versions:

TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1

EDIT:

I looked into the logs, and there was always an error with ffmepg. I was able to reslove this issue by re-installing the ffmpeg as follows:

service emby-server stop

pkg delete -f ffmpeg

pkg install -f ffmpeg

After this, content plays in browser too. So I think that there was something messed up in the ffmpeg installation.

Hi, thanks for the feedback. Glad you were able to work around it. We are looking into the original issue.

• 4 weeks later...
Pikohh

On 4/5/2021 at 6:46 PM, tiggy said:

Hello,

"Playback Error

Versions:

TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1

EDIT:

service emby-server stop

pkg delete -f ffmpeg

pkg install -f ffmpeg

Just wanted to thank you for this. I had exactly the same problem with the same configuration (TrueNAS core,  with the Emby jail) after upgrading the Emby jail. In my case, the problem was that there was no ffmpeg installed in the jail, so I guess the problem is an incomplete jail, or maybe a problem upgrading it. Simply installing ffmpeg with pkg install -f ffmpeg solved the problem.

Hope this helps others too.

Edited by Pikohh

On 5/4/2021 at 1:42 PM, Pikohh said:

Just wanted to thank you for this. I had exactly the same problem with the same configuration (TrueNAS core,  with the Emby jail) after upgrading the Emby jail. In my case, the problem was that there was no ffmpeg installed in the jail, so I guess the problem is an incomplete jail, or maybe a problem upgrading it. Simply installing ffmpeg with pkg install -f ffmpeg solved the problem.

Hope this helps others too.

Glad to hear it. Thanks for reporting back.