Locast support/integration.

smills

smills

Tried locast2plex on the same Pi4  proxying 4 streams simultaneously and recording them with Emby.

Ran for an hour, all 4 streams recorded simultaneously without a problem  and then played back without a problem.

Resources used on the Pi  were still very low.

Locast2PlexOnPi4streams.thumb.png.56abaeb16a11728c7fe2d0e0d90fe9e0.png

locast2plex looks like it might be a good solution for some people.

Still, since there is a Locast API it would be nice if it was supported directly as a source in Emby rather than having to setup/maintain a proxy.

That's pretty impressive on the Raspberry Pi4!

Someone needs to clone the repository and rename it LOL

• Like 1

smills

That Pi is actually running a gui desktop and running a WeeWX weather station so  it was not just the locast proxy running.

It is clear that it is not really doing anything with those streams other than proxying and passing them along.  Clearly there isn't any processing going on.

smills

@Luke  is you are asking about what version of Emby Server that was being used it is  Version 4.5.0.20 beta that I installed fresh to do this test so I wouldn't have to keep re-configuring by daily use server.

Sammy
17 minutes ago, cayars said:

That's pretty impressive on the Raspberry Pi4!

Someone needs to clone the repository and rename it LOL

Sounds like a job for @cayars!

• Haha 1

I don't know.  Sounds like it's got Sammy written all over it.  LOL

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
mark-in-dallas

I attempted setting up the locast integration today on a Linux Mint machine, but got a ton of missing module and attribute error messages due to changes made from python 2 to python 3.  I do have python 2.7 installed on the machine, but it also has python 3.8, which breaks the code.

I started modifying the main.py and LocastService.py files to change naming conventions and attributes to work in python 3, but ended up giving up on it when I couldn't find a replacement attribute that had been changed or depreciated. 

I may try setting up docker and trying to run it in a container this weekend , but if anybody has got it working in Linux with python 3 I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

What you want to do is go into the python27 folder to install any modules you might need.

When you start the python script you can specify the version of python itself as well on the command line.

• Like 1

mark-in-dallas

Thanks cayars, that worked.  The problem that I have now is that unless I leave the terminal open with main.py running it kills the locast connection.  Any idea on how to keep the connection alive without having to keep the terminal open and tied up?

mark-in-dallas

I was trying to run it at startup, but couldn't get it to work using a bash script called in startup applications, or placed in rc.local.  I just tried setting it up to run as a service and cannot get that to work either.  Maybe you could take a look at the code and tell me where I'm screwing up?  The main.py file is located at /var/lib/locast2plex, and this is what I have in the locast.service file:

[Unit]
Description=Locast
After=network.target
StartLimitIntervalSec=0
[Service]
Type=simple
Restart=always
RestartSec=3
User=mark
ExecStart=/usr/lib/python2.7 /var/lib/locast2plex/python2 main.py

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

When I run systemctl start locast it does not seem to do anything, and running ps -ax does not show anything locast related running.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by mark-in-dallas

mark-in-dallas

Got it figured out.  The correct code for ExecStart was:  ExecStart=/usr/bin/python2 /var/lib/locast2plex/main.py

Call me dense or just call me a noob, but it took me awhile to figure out that the first part of the ExecStart was already instructing it to execute with python.

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2020 at 3:54 PM, Luke said:

I'm sure it could be done now using locast2plex

I just setup locast2plex on Mac Emby. Streaming and recording is very smooth and uses very little CPU. 

This is a good solution, I may get rid of my antenna. 

9 minutes ago, meatball said:

I just setup locast2plex on Mac Emby. Streaming and recording is very smooth and uses very little CPU. 

This is a good solution, I may get rid of my antenna. 

If you were able to setup and run that give this a shot.

It's VPN friendly and support up to 4 sessions.

Requires Python 2.7.9

All you should need to do it modify the config.ini file with your login and password.  You can also change the port number as well.

Setup as an HDHomeRun in Emby just like you did for locast2Plex.

Can be ran as a service as well.

Locast4Emby.zip

• Like 1

awesome. thanks @cayars! I'll get this setup today and report back. 

Appreciate that

Update- this seems to work well. Is there anything different between this and locast4Plex that I should be looking for?

Edited by meatball
  • Like 1

I'm running this and cannot tell if it is connected or if my tuners are doing the work. My guide shows the same channel numbering a my Quatros give. I think it works but how to verify?

That said, Locast costs $5.50 a month for the minimum "donation" in order to use it. My two Quatros are paid for already so this is probably something I'll test but not really utilize going forward when the bill comes due.

3 minutes ago, Sammy said:

I'm running this and cannot tell if it is connected or if my tuners are doing the work. My guide shows the same channel numbering a my Quatros give. I think it works but how to verify?

That said, Locast costs $5.50 a month for the minimum "donation" in order to use it. My two Quatros are paid for already so this is probably something I'll test but not really utilize going forward when the bill comes due.

yea if you already have network tuners running with those same channels I'm not sure how you would verify. I think you would either have to turn them off or use something like Xteve so you can filter channels for the specific tuners. 

Edited by meatball

• 3 months later...
afogleson

so maybe a silly question... but since presumably some have recorded videos by now... what resolution are we talking about ? I know when i watch channels using the web browser they look pretty decent but then i am on a web browser so i wonder are these HD when the channel is HD (OTA) or are they all downcast to say 480p or such? Just wondering before i set up my box since it is linux, has the wrong version of python... etc etc so its a fair bit of work to make sure this works and all the other stuff does too :)

• 1 month later...
mlcarson

I just tried the fHDHR_Locast version of this and am getting 1280x720 on channels that would be HD and 854x480 on SD channels.  That's with the LA stations.  To me, they look fine. 

• Like 1

afogleson

So given that it at least seems to be HD I decided to set this up. I ttried this once before and it all seemed to at least get past the python actually running. but now I am getting some errors it looks like locast is enforcing geolocation now (or at least attempting to)  I did see a bit of weirdness in the browser where it could not id my location.... at any rate has anyone else seen the below of late?

BTW system is Win 10 Pro build 19042.746

Locast4Emby v0.5.2
Tuner count set to 4
UUID set to: psiswviy...
Logging into Locast using username *****************...
Validating User Info...
User Info obtained.
User didDonate: True
User donationExpire: 1639592479
Getting user location...
Error during geo IP acquisition: [Errno 1] _ssl.c:499: error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure
Exiting...

EDIT: Never mind..... i got fHDHR to work fine... unfortunately all channels in the Atlanta area come over in 480P so less that useful.

At this point sort of wish i had not subscribed to locast :) 

Edited by afogleson