Locast support/integration.

smills

Would love to see the option to add the Locast service as a tuner device.   Would really add value to Emby.

On my Nvidia Shield I can use Fitzy  to view Locast  and to integrate that into a single guide with Youtube TV and other streaming providers and integrate them into a single ui/guide/dvr.  The problem is that if you want to dvr  with Fitzy  you have to subscribe to their service for $200 a tear.     

When you install Fitzy  it is promoting Locast and directing you to go signup  so I assume they have some sort of partnership and it would be great if there was a partnership and integration with Emby as well.

• Like 2

They are some of the biggest metro areas which are great for "local" sports.

I use this a lot for NFL games especially Patriot games (Boston).

They use GEO coding to enforce the market but are VPN endpoint friendly.  They are chromecast and airplay friendly as well.

Picture quality is great.

Locast at worst is in a gray area of the law but so far haven't been challenged in court so it's legit as they act like a public repeater for stations (just using the Internet) for the same market as what could be gotten OTA (if you don't cheat with a VPN). They are non-profit as well which would make a legal challenge a bit harder.

Being able to have Locast channels instead of OTA if you are lucky to be in one of their current markets would be nice but they only allow one station/channel per IP (last time I checked) which isn't ideal for general Emby use. They have a lot of potential but probably aren't right for Emby integration yet.  Could make for a really nice plugin however, especially for those who love sports and have a team(s) in a market they cover.

If any community member who can program wanted to write a plugin I would surely help with some knowledge of how their system works and could give you some sample code for accessing their systems provided you get permission from both Emby and Locast to do the plugin beforehand.

I could probably put you in touch with the proper people as well to talk to.  This has been on my radar for a plugin for a while but I've got a couple other ideas, I think would be better for the community at large. But as they continue to add additional markets their service does become more compelling with each new market release (especially for sports fans like myself). :)

If someone wanted to tackle this ustvnow.com would also be worthy of including as it's NOT geo bound due to their contracts and this is LEGIT as well.  Their service is free for SD content and HD plus additional channels at a slight cost.  But good for the ABC, NBC, CBS, CS, FOX, CW, etc.  They have a solid contract for distribution via the Internet which I've seen.  The channels they show are the Phila area.  Quality isn't as good as Locast, but you can access their service over seas.

Coding would be very similar for both systems.

Edited by cayars

Hi, I hadn't heard of Locast until now. Is this them?

https://www.locast.org

They're only in 7 cities right now.

Luke, that is them.  Only in 7 cities  but that accounts for 20% of the US market and growing.  I live in the Houston fringe and while my OTA is iffy particularly for the VHF channels.  The Locast quality is good.  Just need a way to integrate them into Emby as a LiveTV Channel source.   Couple Locast with Philo  and you have a pretty complete solution.

Very soon to be 8 cities with the launch of Baltimore, MD. 

That will put them at 21% coverage and 24+ Million homes covered.

One of the things I think many people ignore or just don't realize about OTA is the different spectrum being used and how difficult it can be to receive VHF-LO, and sometime VHF-HI or what antennas are needed.  Certain markets are far worse then others like the Phila market.  It's the worst market in the US as far as VHF goes.  There are 4 LO transmitters including the flagship ABC channel and also VHI-HI as well.

Not only is spectrum and issue but tower location.  Yes you might have several towers with 30 miles but if they are in different directions that can be a reception issue.  Throw in terrain and it can get really fun.  :)

A service like Locast helps to solve many of these issues but is not a cure all.  It's doubtful you would be able to simultaneously stream/record multiple channels with the same IP for a long period of time before getting flagged. They aren't going to want to have their system "abused" with "commercial-like" use.  They can't really offer a subscription either to allow multiple use as they are ran as a non-profit which is how they get around the copyright issue of rebroadcasting in the same markets.

Even with that said, it would be nice to have.  Some people will always have trouble with a station or two in certain areas they can't get reliably via OTA and this could help a lot to fill that type of gap. Same with having it as an "over flow" when you run out of tuners.

So while it might be questionable to use Locast as a "tuner", it would make a nice content plugin.

Very fortunate in my area.. all OTA comes in great. In LA Mt Wilson is at about 6000 feet with a clear shot for 100 miles in most directions. One antenna and two Quatros does it all for me!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Yea I'd image a 6000 foot "tower" does wonders for reception. 

On the east coast 1000 foot towers are a wonderful site. :)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
smills

Not sure if any of you have been tracking the news.

But ATT  has started integrating/installing locast capability into their set top boxes  and make a $500,000 donation to locast.

If their customers can get their locals via locast then that gives ATT more bargaining bower when negotiating with the local stations.

https://www.fiercevideo.com/operators/at-t-integrates-free-broadcast-tv-app-locast-directv-u-verse

https://www.fiercevideo.com/video/at-t-backs-free-broadcast-tv-service-locast-500k-donation

Does anyone out there have a STB  with the locast  "integration".  I would love to know how well integrated it really is.  Does it seamlessly integrate into their guide or is is a separate app you have to launch?  And will DVR record locast?

Still would love to see locast integrated as a content provider/tuner for  Emby server.

I don't see any word about api info for them. They may not be allowing third party apps to use their streams.

BillOatman

Up to 13 cities, 31% of US market now.  Looks great.  Sadly I'm not in one of their markets and won't be any time soon.  They have apps on multiple platforms like iOS, Android, Apple TV and Roku.  So they must have an API, just not a public one.  Certainly worth an ask IMO.

@@Luke, would this best be handled as a plugin or as a base feature built into Emby IPTV?

Edited by BillOatman

I don't see any word about api info for them. They may not be allowing third party apps to use their streams.

Based on what they are actually doing, I doubt they ever will but I guess we can look into it.

Integrating with something like Emby would make it way too easy to abuse what their true intent is.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
BillOatman

The python code is available for the Kodi addon.

But Locast is geo-locked to the market cities.  Makes the legal subset of Emby users pretty small I suspect.

But a plugin developer living in one of those markets should be able to make a plugin from the Kodi code I suspect.

• 2 weeks later...
all4dom

Not sure if anyone is aware, but going back at&t donated 500 thousand to locast & is adding it to it to its streaming package & dish is including locast on its sir TV boxes. I know why they are doing it but I dont understand why emby has not been able to do the same? For those of us who can not get good ota this would be very beneficial.

Not sure if anyone is aware, but going back at&t donated 500 thousand to locast & is adding it to it to its streaming package & dish is including locast on its sir TV boxes. I know why they are doing it but I dont understand why emby has not been able to do the same? For those of us who can not get good ota this would be very beneficial.

You don't understand why we aren't able to donate $500k...? ;)

We can try to look into this but the issue is that this service requires that you confirm you are in the specific region for that particular channel at the time of playback.  With our server-based setup and remote clients, this would be next to impossible to do.

• Like 1

all4dom

No ebr im.not talking about the $$$$, I was talking about integration with emby. I think this would be big if its doable. Local ota integrates with the emby guide & DVR would be a hit.

Functionally it would be great, yes. The question is whether they'd allow it.

BillOatman

You don't understand why we aren't able to donate $500k...? ;)

We can try to look into this but the issue is that this service requires that you confirm you are in the specific region for that particular channel at the time of playback.  With our server-based setup and remote clients, this would be next to impossible to do.

Oh yeah, I didn't even consider the remote client aspect.

Sammy

Just a point of reference, locast is able to be integrated into the Fitzy TV app on Android TV. If you're so inclined you can put it in there and then record to their Cloud DVR at a small monthly fee.

Of course since I have great OTA reception I don't do this. I do however, glow cast integrated into my Fitzy TV app because that app does not allow for OT a network tuners such as SiliconDust HDHomeRun Connect Quatro.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

SHSPVR

Would love to see the option to add the Locast service as a tuner device.   Would really add value to Emby.

On my Nvidia Shield I can use Fitzy  to view Locast  and to integrate that into a single guide with Youtube TV and other streaming providers and integrate them into a single ui/guide/dvr.  The problem is that if you want to dvr  with Fitzy  you have to subscribe to their service for $200 a tear.     

When you install Fitzy  it is promoting Locast and directing you to go signup  so I assume they have some sort of partnership and it would be great if there was a partnership and integration with Emby as well.

FitzyTV is a joke and Locast spam the carp out for donations you may as well just put up an antenna

Hi, I hadn't heard of Locast until now. Is this them?

https://www.locast.org

They're only in 7 cities right now.

More like 13 city's now Luke

Edited by SHSPVR

all4dom

Not all of us are able to get reception with an antenna & maybe this could be added and locked to the server & wifi in house.

Damien_

What's interesting about this (As far as I can tell) it doesn't look like they enforce geo-fencing inside the US. IE you don't have to be in one of the markets mentioned to watch, only in the US. I can change the city location and watch any of the markets listed. 

Basically anyone in the US can watch broadcast tv, just not necessarily from your specific market. 

And of course Big Cable/Hollywood media conglomerates are suing them. Unfortunately there's no way their service won't get shut down. Sucks

https://deadline.com/2019/07/big-four-broadcast-networks-sue-locast-in-effort-to-block-its-local-tv-streams-1202657786/

Interesting tidbit from that article:

Locast is accused of attempting to gather customer data and advance commercial interests, despite presenting itself as a non-profit “Robin Hood of television,” the suit maintains. Its “founding, funding and operations reveal its decidedly commercial purposes,” according to the complaint.

That's not surprising at all.  With big funding behind it, there has to be some sort of commercial viability here...

I know this was going happen

Well, and you also have to ask yourself what the true intent of this service really is.  As much as you'd like to believe it is to "bring you the TV you deserve" it is much more likely there is a commercial interest (like gathering data to market to you) underlying that.

Plus, the potential for misuse here is just way too high.  Consider sports programming - this service could open up the entire US market to everyone.  That is NOT something that sports franchises or broadcasters will allow to happen.