Music and ID3 Tags

ptzink

Hello and thank you to all the developers and contributors in this community. Can anyone explain to me what exactly is read from MP3 ID3 tags and when? It seems that neither the artist nor album nor song information is taken from the actual MP3 file, but the folder structure only. This can be problematic if you have any kind of slight variation in folder structure as I do. It seems that Emby is also not pulling the .jpg artwork that is embedded in the file either. This is leaving me with all kinds of "albums" that are empty, have no artist, and no artwork even though files are all tagged appropriately including Album Artists. I do not want to rearrange my folders because that would mess up any other applications/libraries that are referencing those files (such as iTunes). So why aren't ALL metadata values read from ID3 tags FIRST and then use folder structure as a fallback, and then find missing metadata (artist image, bio, etc) from scrapers? Is there any plan to implement this in the near future? This has been an ongoing frustration of mine. Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by ptzink
  • Like 1

Hi there, everything comes from tags except for album groupings, which are currently based on folders. we plan to become fully tag driven in the future but we're not quite there yet.

Can you go over an example of where you feel that artists weren't taken from songs? thanks.

Below is a chart of my folder/file structure. I don't claim that this is "normal" by any means or that it even makes sense, but I guess that is my point. Use ID3 tag info for all the metadata you can and then supplement any missing metadata with info from folder structure. I have come up with what appears to be a partial/acceptable solution to the issue. I created shares directly to the "Full Albums", "Christmas Albums", and "Misc" folders and added them directly to the library as 3 separate folders. This has mainly cleared up my issue, but I do notice now that Artists of songs that are in the "Christmas Albums" root folder or the "Misc" root folder do not have metadata (no bio, images, etc.) nor do they have songs listed under their name in Artist view. This leads me to believe that Artist metadata is only fetched if there is an Artist (or at least album) parent folder. Likewise, neither songs nor albums (that the misc songs appear on) from this artist are displayed on the artist page. Per another thread, if you click play, it will start a playlist with all of the songs from that artist. I would really like to see full tag driven music library support soon. Is there a place to log/track this request?  

5c48d5e5a2ecd_Filestructure.png

• 2 months later...

After the upcoming 4.1 release we may be able to finally get to this, yes. Thanks

• 8 months later...
Chriswho

Hi.  Some of metadata for my music appears to have carried over from the iTunes tags, others have not. For example, I have albums that have picked up the album art I have added, but have not picked up the correct genre, others are in the correct genre, but haven't picked up the album art?

Chriswho

Hi again.  I have also just found, filed under 'Algum Artists", an album with the Album Artist of 'LBUM, two albums with the Album Artist of 'LBUM ART" and another with the Album Artist "LBUM ARTIST".  None of these values exist in the tag information in iTunes!

Chriswho

Hey Luke, please find the following for your enjoyment:

• Snip from Emby library showing Triple J Hottest 100 and Like A Version albums (note that many show album Artist As MsMr),
  • snip showing Hottest 100 Vol. 20 album from Emby library (note incorrect genre)
  • same from iTunes (note that some artist names show differently in Emby especially where a featured artist is included)
  • Thrift Shop from my iTunes library
  • snip showing Green Day's Uno from Emby library (note incorrect album artist and genre)
  • same from iTunes
  • Nuclear Family from my iTunes library
  • snip showing Album Artists LBUM, LBUM ART and LBUM ARTIST
  • snip showing Genres in Emby (all large amount of my music is tagged under the various 00s - 90s genres, some of which are showing in Emby but only have 1 or 2 albums in them.  My Hard Rock genre however appears to be correct as Emby shows 205 albums, same as iTunes!).

Hope this is enough for you!

Thanx.

Chris.

post-563170-0-09855900-1578379415_thumb.jpgpost-563170-0-32487500-1578379432_thumb.jpgpost-563170-0-14611600-1578379450_thumb.jpg01 Thrift Shop.mp3post-563170-0-26057300-1578379619_thumb.jpgpost-563170-0-01571700-1578379634_thumb.jpg01 Nuclear Family.mp3post-563170-0-78210700-1578379729_thumb.jpgpost-563170-0-91024800-1578379748_thumb.jpg

Thanks. I couldn't reproduce. They got the expected album artists so that could be a sign that something has improved for the next release.

snip showing Hottest 100 Vol. 20 album from Emby library (note incorrect genre)

But actually no, the New Age genre in Emby is correct here. That's the genre your song is tagged with.

Chriswho

My media is still showing incorrectly in Emby.  I have refreshed metadata, scanned the library again and reapplying the tags and refreshing and scanning again - no change.  I am running version 4.3.1.0 and it was a fresh install on 2 January.  It updated to the current version immediately after installing.

With regard to the Thrift Shop track uploaded, it shows as 10s Alternative in Windows properties and in iTunes (see attached snips) on my system.  When I download the track I uploaded and check the properties in that, it still shows as 10s Alternative NOT New Age!  Not sure why you are seeing it as New Age.

post-563170-0-93898200-1578750425_thumb.jpg

post-563170-0-34978700-1578750441_thumb.jpg

PenkethBoy

can confirm - i get "new Age" as genre with these two files (in same directory to test)

i setup a new library - disabled all music metadata plugin options for the library

Emby is pulling data from somewhere online i suspect although set to not use online services - and this is where the New Age is coming from - my other music library on the server does not have New Age as a genre so its something emby has got from somewhere

Checking Online at MBz and Audiodb - neither have New Age as a genre listed

Edit - ffprobe is seeing "new Age" as the genre in the files - although mp3Tag does not - hmmmmmmm

Edited by PenkethBoy

PenkethBoy

@@Luke

Ok - think i have figured out whats up with the Genres for @@Chriswho

if you add a number to the start of a Genre - i.e. 10 - you get New Age

1 - gives "Classic Rock"

2 - gives "Country" etc etc

This appears to be a ffprobe specific problem - as MediaInfo and Mp3Tag show the actual Genre tag not some from a list in ffprobe

Add the numbers at the end "Alternative 10s" and ffprobe is happy with that

Edited by PenkethBoy

@@Luke

Ok - think i have figured out whats up with the Genres for @@Chriswho

if you add a number to the start of a Genre - i.e. 10 - you get New Age

1 - gives "Classic Rock"

2 - gives "Country" etc etc

This appears to be a ffprobe specific problem - as MediaInfo and Mp3Tag show the actual Genre tag not some from a list in ffprobe

Add the numbers at the end "Alternative 10s" and ffprobe is happy with that

What do you mean from a list in ffprobe?

PenkethBoy

ffprobe is changing the Genre tag for any genre starting with a number - to i suspect an internal list

try it for yourself it easy to do

create a genre of "1" - only tried with a single genre not multiple

query with ffprobe and it will say "Classic Rock" not "1"

5e1a1c434262b_Annotation20200111190356.j

5e1a1c4f95a4b_Annotation20200111190415.j

PenkethBoy

it was a guess on my part - not going to read that as not an issue for me and too long - which part are you referring to?

BUT - the issue is ffprobe is getting it wrong and mapping to other genres - which emby then uses instead of what the user has specified

it was a guess on my part - not going to read that as not an issue for me and too long - which part are you referring to?

Appendix 8

Could you please PM me that audio file?

Anyway: The spec defines that a single digit refers to a category. That's in no way an error in ffprobe.

Do you have other examples that you think are wrong?

PenkethBoy

Yes - any numeric genre - gets "converted" to something else

some random tests

0=Blues

10 = New Age

1=Classic Rock

2=Country

3=Dance

15=Rap

25= Euro-Techno

100=Humour

so not just a single digit issue 

Its an issue in that its not honouring the data a user has added - so unexpected behavior

Try it with any mp3 file - easy to reproduce

Also - if the first genre is a number - no other genres are read numeric or text (e.g. 0, test = Blues not Blues, Test)

I am using mp3tag to change the Genre value - if that matters

Its an issue in that its not honouring the data a user has added - so unexpected behavior

But isn't it just doing what the specification says?

Yes - Appendix 8 is what i call a list

in the sense its remapping numeric values to text 

What I meant is that it is not an internal list.

It's the official list of the specification.

If you don't like that, please complain to the maintainers of the standard.

If you think that this is a bug in ffprobe, please report it as an issue to the ffmpeg developers.

I don't know what you want to achieve and I don't understand what should be the meaning of a genre named like e.g. 8

The only thing I can do to help you is some tips about what you could try.

These may work or not. I have no time to test this, I just figured from reading the spec that these might work.

Please don't blame if not:

(0)MyGenre

(0)8

()MyGenre

()8