Music and ID3 Tags

ptzink

PenkethBoy

Yes its in the spec

i was just confirming what the user who is having a problem was seeing - because he has used a leading numeric for his genre

ffprobe is doing its "mapping" and the user gets something unexpected - as that is presented to Emby by ffprobe

easy to change if he wants by putting the numeric at the end so - "Alternative 10s" will work and "10s Alternative" - gives "New Age"

Not a problem for me - but other users may find this thread in the future and understand that genres with a leading numeric will cause unexpected results as very few people are going to read Appendix 8

You are right - knowing about a specification should only be required when you are directly writing to header in raw binary format.

You cannot expect users to be familiar with a specification when they are making entries into a text field of an application.

It's the application that needs to make sure that a user is getting the result that he expects or warn the user if that won't be possible to achieve.

In that case this would be the ID3 tag writing application.

It's a tedious job though, to start blaming. Probably the mp3tag developer will say it supports only v2 and v3 of the spec and ffprobe devs say that they are supporting all versions including v1...

...or something similar.  :D

PenkethBoy

mp3tag is doing it correctly - in that its a direct representation of the genre as entered by the user

mp3tag supports id3v1 to id3v2.3

ffprobe is doing additional stuff - that could confuse a user - as we have seen

mp3tag is doing it correctly - in that its a direct representation of the genre as entered by the user

mp3tag supports id3v1 to id3v2.3

ffprobe is doing additional stuff - that could confuse a user - as we have seen

Please discuss your opinion with the creators of the respective applications.

Thanks.

PenkethBoy

you are missing the point - ffprobe is how Emby is getting info - which is missing or remapped

mp3tag is not doing that

ffprobe is Emby's metadata reader of choice - in this situation users are going to get unexpected results - so maybe we need a diff reader etc etc

Luke and Your choice - if you want to review this or not (which is a valid option)

Chriswho

Hey guys.  Thanx for all the investigation into this, way beyond me!

Strange thing is, regarless of ffprobe changing some of the genres, Emby is showing some of my chosen genres with albums under them (just not as many as iTunes is showing)!

5e1ab2bcecd76_Genresnip.jpg

And the albums showing under Avantgarde in Emby have come from a few different genres in iTunes.

And I thought I was confused before this!

• 5 weeks later...

ffprobe is changing the Genre tag for any genre starting with a number - to i suspect an internal list

try it for yourself it easy to do

create a genre of "1" - only tried with a single genre not multiple

query with ffprobe and it will say "Classic Rock" not "1"

5e1a1c434262b_Annotation20200111190356.j

5e1a1c4f95a4b_Annotation20200111190415.j

@@PenkethBoy we've changed this in our ffmpeg builds for the next release. Thanks for the feedback.

• 4 weeks later...
dgg1974

Amazing.

To all of you who didn't given up on this issue and worked through it, I just want to say thank you soooo much for discovering this and trying to address it.

I thought I was going nuts. I like to keep my tags to a minimum and Genre was one of the only "extra" ones I liked to have.

My setup was 

Genre

00 A to Z

01 Orphans

02 Compilations

03 Soundtracks

and then within those specific Genres I would add / Rock or / Pop ie 00 A to Z / Rock (for a band like Green Day). That way family members could sort through the library alphabetically or by an actual music genre.

and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why my Genres weren't working. Can't wait to try this again on the next release.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys I must be missing something...

I've got several problems with music handling. Using Web App, Android TV, Roku, Samsung Smart TV, Server 4.3.1.0 stable.

1). I could have sworn that Emby used to sort music by Genre.  I don't/can't see that in any app now. I know for sure it used to work in Emby for WMC. (I haven't checked Theater so don't know for sure).

2). Emby is showing all of my music artist by folder which is correct.  Once inside of an artist folder it is showing all of the albums for that artist correctly.  Once inside of an album folder it is showing all of the song files as being there but for many of the song files it is NOT showing the album cover image for that album.  Some are and some aren't.  When I check the images in MP3tag all images are there for the song files but not in Emby. Some song files show the backdrop image for the artist up at the artist folder top level some are just blank. I have folder images for each album (folder.jpg) also loaded inside of the album folder.  The same one that is embedded in the ID3 tag for the song file.  That's how it got there is by extraction from one of the files using MP3tag.

I could have sworn that we were once able to sort music artist, songs and albums by genre and date at one time.  Is this no longer the case?  It seems like Emby is not respecting the ID3 tag information that is set for each song file and then further not able to sort using that info even if it was being respected.  Is this the current intended case?  Is there a fix or am I just doing it wrong?

There seems to be a way to assign/affix music genre to an album at the folder level using the metadata editor but when I do that it only shows maybe 6 of the different Genre that have embedded in ID3 tags. I have 10s of genre type (at least 50 or so).  Emby is not offering them all as selections in the editor so that means that it is not reading them from the ID3 tags.  So even if I were able to sort by genre (which I do not see a menu item offered to do so) it wouldn't be able to sort but by these 6 or so genre which is no where near the number of genre I have already tagged my files with.  What gives?

Please let me know.

Thx

EZEd

Edit: forgot to add that I can add album cover image for each individual song file using the 3 dot edit for the file but I can't select all songs for an album and do it all at once.  That is painstakingly slow and inefficient.  It means edit image, browse, go to folder, select, upload/save the image for each song in each album.  That would take forever.  Some of the albums have in excess of 10 or 15 songs each.  Please change the code to allow us to change album art imagery for multiple song files simultaneously.  Either at the album folder level or by selecting multiple song files and applying the image once to many.  Again, this action wouldn't be necessary if the server library function were reading the ID3 tag information correctly because the image is already there in that info.  It just isn't manifesting inside of Emby.

Thx again

Ed

Edited by EZEd

Guys I must be missing something...

I've got several problems with music handling. Using Web App, Android TV, Roku, Samsung Smart TV, Server 4.3.1.0 stable.

1). I could have sworn that Emby used to sort music by Genre.  I don't/can't see that in any app now. I know for sure it used to work in Emby for WMC. (I haven't checked Theater so don't know for sure).

2). Emby is showing all of my music artist by folder which is correct.  Once inside of an artist folder it is showing all of the albums for that artist correctly.  Once inside of an album folder it is showing all of the song files as being there but for many of the song files it is NOT showing the album cover image for that album.  Some are and some aren't.  When I check the images in MP3tag all images are there for the song files but not in Emby. Some song files show the backdrop image for the artist up at the artist folder top level some are just blank. I have folder images for each album (folder.jpg) also loaded inside of the album folder.  The same one that is embedded in the ID3 tag for the song file.  That's how it got there is by extraction from one of the files using MP3tag.

I could have sworn that we were once able to sort music artist, songs and albums by genre and date at one time.  Is this no longer the case?  It seems like Emby is not respecting the ID3 tag information that is set for each song file and then further not able to sort using that info even if it was being respected.  Is this the current intended case?  Is there a fix or am I just doing it wrong?

There seems to be a way to assign/affix music genre to an album at the folder level using the metadata editor but when I do that it only shows maybe 6 of the different Genre that have embedded in ID3 tags. I have 10s of genre type (at least 50 or so).  Emby is not offering them all as selections in the editor so that means that it is not reading them from the ID3 tags.  So even if I were able to sort by genre (which I do not see a menu item offered to do so) it wouldn't be able to sort but by these 6 or so genre which is no where near the number of genre I have already tagged my files with.  What gives?

Please let me know.

Thx

EZEd

Edit: forgot to add that I can add album cover image for each individual song file using the 3 dot edit for the file but I can't select all songs for an album and do it all at once.  That is painstakingly slow and inefficient.  It means edit image, browse, go to folder, select, upload/save the image for each song in each album.  That would take forever.  Some of the albums have in excess of 10 or 15 songs each.  Please change the code to allow us to change album art imagery for multiple song files simultaneously.  Either at the album folder level or by selecting multiple song files and applying the image once to many.  Again, this action wouldn't be necessary if the server library function were reading the ID3 tag information correctly because the image is already there in that info.  It just isn't manifesting inside of Emby.

Thx again

Ed

Hi, Emby respects embedded id3 tag information. Can you please go over an example? thanks.

Luke I think what's going on is that I can't get the various views to show under the music library.  When I go to music all I get in any client is the folder view.  I have all of my music files organized first in an artist folder, then in album folders nested under each artist.  So something to the tune of 950 or so artists folders, then multiple album folders each under the appropriate artist folders (where it applies).  Then each song file for an album inside of its appropriate album folder.

No matter the client I can see all 950+ folders for artist; and inside of those folders I can see the appropriate album folders.  But the only controls across the top are the "play" button, "shuffle" button "sort by" button, "filter" button and the "..." button that only shows view options for the type image to associate with the folder.  I don't have the options at the top to see "album", "artist", "genre" and other sorting parameters.  I assume this is because I have my music library set to view by folders but I don't see anywhere to change it so that I can have the option to view by any other method other than folders.  I've looked in the server library settings options and each of the client display options and not seeing how to change views away from folder view.

Where is that setting? I've seen pictures of other users' view implementations and theirs do have the controls of being able to view by artist, genre, album, etc... So I assume they are not using folder views.  Where do we go to globally set views for something other than folder view?

Any info would be helpful.

Thx

Ed

Luke, I found the problem. The music folder was listed as a mixed content library instead of music. I removed the library, re categorized as music and now the options for views are at the top of the page again.

Thx

Ed 

dgg1974

Just wanted to pass along the following observations after the most recent update.

Genres appear to adhering strictly to what is inputed in the Genre field, so so so happy about this.

IE

00 A to Z

01 Orphans

02 Compilations...

So that is just awesome, thank you so much.

Things brings up a question now that I have the Genres displaying exactly as I intended.

When i select on a particular Genre the next level below that appears to be Albums found within that Genre sorted by a variety of options. What I would love to know is if there is a way, after selecting a particular Genre for the next level down to be either Artist or Album Artist rather than Album?

I know I don't know all the name of all the albums of the artists I listen to (so I doubt my family and friends will) but I certainly know the names of the artist. Is there a setting I am missing or is this not supported? If it isn't supported is there a workaround or is there a plan to implement down the line?

Thanks again for getting the Genres working. so happy right now.

What I would love to know is if there is a way, after selecting a particular Genre for the next level down to be either Artist or Album Artist rather than Album?

Hi, we don't have this yet but it's a good idea for the future. thanks.

• 7 months later...
Manbrasil

hello, is there any intention to get the album data from the id3v2 tag?

my structure is

Folder Artist - song files

all songs are identified as from the same album. All songs have complete id3v2 tag.

28 minutes ago, Manbrasil said:

hello, is there any intention to get the album data from the id3v2 tag?

my structure is

Folder Artist - song files

all songs are identified as from the same album. All songs have complete id3v2 tag.

Hi, yes it's planned for the future. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
Lighthouse

I had no idea this is being worked on.

When it is done, you guys better advertise this feature because this is one of the most requested features for all three media server (Plex, Emby, Jellyfin) and it will definitely draw a lot of people from Plex, since they have no intention to bring this feature despite it is 8th most requested feature since 2015.

Lighthouse

Thank you for pointing it out.

I just dust off docker container, changed to beta channel and it seems it is working fine.

And I bought Emby Premiere. And I will try do my best others know this.

One suggestion: In Composer tab, it would be great if we can have list of the albums by the composer. It is indeed tricky one; my suggestion is filter the albums that majority of the songs are written by a specific composer, then it should appear at the album list of the composer page.

Edited by Lighthouse

Lighthouse
5 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

ask in the beta forum in the relevant thread - will get lost here

I posted where I think it is "beta forum" but I have a feeling that I made the post on the wrong area. Where is the beta forum?