Renaming movie folder results in watched state loss

dominicM

dominicM

I would like to rename all my movies to a recommended folder structure but losing metadata is not an option. Reason for this change is that emby fails to identify some movies properly automatically, too many to do manually.

My current structure is "movies/[movie_title] [year]/original_filename.ext" and I would like to rename it to "movies/[movie_title] ([year])/original_filename.ext". The only change would be brackets around the year.

I was under impression that watch state at the very least would be retained as it is stored with the unique movie id but I tried renaming few movies and after a rescan they are added as new with no previous metadata. I did specifically rename movies with proper identification and full metadata. So my issue is that watch state is lost and also data added which is also very important to me. What could be the issue here? Any solutions? Would be nice not to have to resort to running queries on the db manually.

Version 4.0.1.0

Did the external id's change from before and after? that should be the only thing that would cause this.

dominicM

@@Luke Just tried with another movie. Took a screenshot of External ID section, renamed folder, re scanned, watch state is gone and date modified is reset to now. All 3 External ID's are identical.

The only issue/bug I know of is that emby is looking for /var/lib/emby-server path and so library scans fail, I to add a symlink to /var/lib/emby for scans to work.

dominicM

Surprisingly restarting emby restored the watch state. New movie rename+re-scan resulted in the same issue which is fixed by another restart of emby. While watch state is not lost, date added is still reset to now, any idea why that happens? Its really frustrating as I rely on it but I end up loosing date added quite regularly. Recently the entire collection had its date added reset after I edited the library path. I don't understand why it doesn't work the same as watch state, I mean a unique movie can only be added once so date added should remain unchanged.

Edited by dominicM

Check your date added behavior setting in server library settings. by default it corresponds to the date created timestamp of the file.

I know why the restart fixed the watch data. I can fix that so that it won't be necessary. Thanks.

• Like 2

dominicM

I had it set to Date scanned into library all along which is what I want. I might have to set it to filename creation though it's not great since some files have odd creation dates. When does this setting get updated? That is if I choose file creation option will it update existing media entries?

Edited by dominicM

Happy2Play

I had it set to Date scanned into library all along which is what I want. I might have to set it to filename creation though it's not great since some files have odd creation dates. When does this setting get updated? That is if I choose file creation option will it update existing media entries?

No this setting only affects new media.

dominicM

I'll make sure the config screen says this. I thought it did already but maybe not that screen.

Do you have any idea why date modified/scanned in gets reset so easily? If fell like it shouldn't get reset same as watch state unless I am missing some reason.

If you moved the file or folder, then your file system may have given it a new date created timestamp.

If you have local nfo files then that is a place where the value could be kept.

dominicM

If you moved the file or folder, then your file system may have given it a new date created timestamp.

If you have local nfo files then that is a place where the value could be kept.

That should not apply since I had it set to date scanned into emby all along, file creation date should not matter here unless I am missing something. I don't have local metadata and am not willing to risk system wide metadata corruption by giving emby write access.

That should not apply since I had it set to date scanned into emby all along, file creation date should not matter here unless I am missing something. I don't have local metadata and am not willing to risk system wide metadata corruption by giving emby write access.

If you moved it and had the setting on "date scanned in" then that would change the date as well because a move is a delete and add operation.

Again, saving the information in an nfo with the media would resolve this.

dominicM

If you moved it and had the setting on "date scanned in" then that would change the date as well because a move is a delete and add operation.

Again, saving the information in an nfo with the media would resolve this.

Why wouldn't date scanned in be saved for the external movie id like all other metadata? It is a movie/episode not a file taht is stored in emby db. I see no reason why date added wouldn't be retained the same way.

Nfos would require write access which is far too dangerous, there is no good reason for emby to have write access since I will never want it to delete or modify files.

Why wouldn't date scanned in be saved for the external movie id like all other metadata?

Because there is no way for us to know if this is really the same item.  You could have multiple items that are the same "Movie".

Again, storing metadata with the item makes sure all relevant data travels with it no matter where it goes :).

dominicM

Because there is no way for us to know if this is really the same item.  You could have multiple items that are the same "Movie".

Again, storing metadata with the item makes sure all relevant data travels with it no matter where it goes :).

In that case how does emby know if the watch state is for the same item? Once watched it applies to all qualities and versions of the item in question as long as external ID matches. I see no reason why it's not the same for date added. I mean you can't add (scan into emby library) the same movie 2 times same as you can't set the watched state twice. Date added should be the date the movie was added the first time.

I do see how having date last added/scanned would be useful but it should be an option because as it is now I constantly loose metadata I don't want to loose. Ideally IMHO there should be 2 sorting options: Date added (current option) and date modified (same movie but file modified). Date added would give a permanent and reliable sorting option while date modified would show any file changes like when upgrading qualities or renames.

In that case how does emby know if the watch state is for the same item?

By using provider ids such as MovieDb, Imdb, Tvdb, etc. We only use this for watch data and not other things. And i think this is correct behavior on our part because some people do keep more than one copy of movies and they may want different metadata between them.

dominicM

By using provider ids such as MovieDb, Imdb, Tvdb, etc. We only use this for watch data and not other things. And i think this is correct behavior on our part because some people do keep more than one copy of movies and they may want different metadata between them.

I feel like having multiple identical movies for different files is an odd implementation, shouldn't emby just have 1 movie and then multiple qualities/files under/within it? That is not really my point though. Regardless if you have multiple items per movie it would be great to have 2 sort options: Original date scanned into emby and Date file was modified (current option).

dominicM

That's a matter of taste of what it should do. It is up to the user to decide.

Agreed, and that's the point but there is no choice now. Like I said already there should be 2 options Original date scanned into emby and Date file was modified (current option).

Right the problem is that it's a difficult option to add. We would have to redesign our whole database structure just for that.

dominicM

Right the problem is that it's a difficult option to add. We would have to redesign our whole database structure just for that.

I don't see why that would be the case. You would be adding an extra db entry for "original date added" and the current "filename modification" option would remain the same with a renamed sort option in the GUI. "original date added" would behave the same way as watched state and attach to external ids.