No audio transcoding without video transcoding

Gerrit507

Gerrit507

I have a sony ht-rt3 here that doesn't support DD+ (EAC3). I have coonfigured Emby Theater to pass-through DD (AC3) and that is working fine. If I have a movie with DD that is below the bitrate limit, which means it is directly played, the avr detects AC3. If I have movie that has to be transcoded because of to high bitrate the audio (DTS, DD+, ..., the audio is always transcoded to DD. If the movie is direct played, because it haven't to be transcoded because of to high bitrate, and it has DTS or DD+ for example it is not transcoded to DD. Long story short: is there a way to force emby (theater) to transcode always to DD so that it fits the pass-through settings?

Hi, it's because we use the HLS protocol for transcoding and it's not able to hold audio formats like DTS, TrueHD, etc.

Guest asrequested

Which version of Theater are you using?

And what are you installing it on?

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Ok, so if you're using the version on the Emby website, there is a way to make it transcode all audio that's not being bitstreamed, to AC3.

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Luke, if memory serves, when we install Theater you have it create the mpv folder in appdata. Is it possible to also make a blank mpv.conf, file? That would make it much easier for people to add extra stuff.

Guest asrequested

Yes I have that version from the emby website. How do I configure that setting?

It's a little complicated, but not difficult. I can't walk you through it, right now. But as soon as I get a chance, I'll post it up here for you.

I think I'll make a guide for this. Quite a few people have asked for it.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Ok, I haven't made the guide yet, but here's what you need to do. First, follow this guide. In the file mpv.conf, add this line;

af=lavcac3enc=yes:384:2

If you don't want stereo audio like mp3 and stereo AAC to be transcoded, change the 2 to a 3. For audio passthrough in Theater, only select the ones you don't want to transcode. And you should be good to go. If you have any questions, fire away. I intend to make a proper guide for this, that will explain in more detail. But until I get around to it, I can help you, here.

• Like 1