Small Black Square

phreatic

phreatic

I've had a quick search and can't find this, so here goes.

I have a new Samsung Smart TV any have installed the Emby app. Sometimes when I play videos, I get a small (5mm?) black square in the middle of the screen nearly the bottom, about where subtitles would go.

I've used the Kodi Emby client and just tried it on an Android phone and don't see it, and I'm pretty sure it's not always on the Samsung app.

Any clues where to look?

TIA

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi there, that's very strange, can you show a screenshot or picture of this? Thanks !

What model Samsung?

phreatic

Hi Luke,

I can try tomorrow although a video may be better, it flashes on and off in a seemingly random pattern, I was wondering if it's anything to do with closed captioning.

FrostByte

Subtitle?  Mine does the same thing once a subtitle starts the black bar stays there even when no text is displayed so there is always a black box throughout the movie

If you search for black bars subtitles I think you will find this has been brought up before for both the Tizen and Orsay app

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

holdestmade

I get the same thing, black square when subtitles are active and no text showing.

Still on v1.0.29 as got 2018 Premium so thought it was due to that and waiting for the updates....

Edited by holdestmade

FrostByte

No, I haven't.  @@FrostByte, does this happen with all subtitle types?

1. All text based ones yes.  So, if you have two lines of subs in the middle of a movie then from that point on there will be a small black box throughout.  It's like the subs activate the overlay box for subs, but it never closes it.   

2. A second subtitle issue related to this is if you resume a movie/episode you will always see the complete first subtitle file, even if it's not mark forced, and there's no way to turn them off

I could have sworn you fixed these first two and like holdestmade was waiting for a new release for 2018 premiums to confirm.  

3. Third problem is the black box around subtitles should be transparent.  I've seen this problem reported with all models still, though if you use DLNA or the built in apps you don't get the black box around subtitles.

Edited by FrostByte

I get the same thing, black square when subtitles are active and no text showing.

Still on v1.0.29 as got 2018 Premium so thought it was due to that and waiting for the updates....

Ok yes we should reevaluate once we have an update out for your model. Thanks.

holdestmade

1. All text based ones yes.  So, if you have two lines of subs in the middle of a movie then from that point on there will be a small black box throughout.  It's like the subs activate the overlay box for subs, but it never closes it.   

2. A second subtitle issue related to this is if you resume a movie/episode you will always see the complete first subtitle file, even if it's not mark forced, and there's no way to turn them off

I could have sworn you fixed these first two and like holdestmade was waiting for a new release for 2018 premiums to confirm.  

3. Third problem is the black box around subtitles should be transparent.  I've seen this problem reported with all models still, though if you use DLNA or the built in apps you don't get the black box around subtitles.

I also have this. If you pause/resume it turns the subtitles on. If you click on "CC" it shows off. I have to select "Eng", OK and then "Off", OK to turn the subtitles off. Hopefully, when the update finally arrives it will be sorted ?

Edited by holdestmade
  • Like 1

FrostByte

I also have this. If you pause/resume it turns the subtitles on. If you click on "CC" it shows off. I have to select "Eng", OK and then "Off", OK to turn the subtitles off. Hopefully, when the update finally arrives it will be sorted ?

Great, thanks.  I stopped auto importing directly from Sonarr to remove all subs because I wasn't aware of that trick.

phreatic

Ok, a little more info.

I've posted a pic to confirm if it's what others are seeing and talking about.

I also noticed that if I turn subtitles on, they work as expected (transparent background) and the square doesn't appear.

On the subject of subtitles, can you choose the source? c2abeb06015f6a25faf4396a5bb57e53.jpg

FrostByte

Ok, a little more info.

I've posted a pic to confirm if it's what others are seeing and talking about.

I also noticed that if I turn subtitles on, they work as expected (transparent background) and the square doesn't appear.

On the subject of subtitles, can you choose the source?

On later versions (2018s are way behind) on the details page there should be a drop down box to choose the sub file you want before clicking play.  Right now with our version you have to bring up the OSD and click the [cc] button.  You can also go into settings and select "forced only" if you only want the forced to auto play

What do you mean when you say you turn subtitles on there is no black box?  Do you mean when you burn graphical subs in?  Because your pic is showing the black box with text subtitles on.

phreatic

What do you mean when you say you turn subtitles on there is no black box? Do you mean when you burn graphical subs in? Because your pic is showing the black box with text subtitles on.

If I select to watch subtitles, (hit play to bring up the bottom bar, step across to CC and select English). Subtitles start albeit a little lower than that black dot's position, but the black square disappears.

FrostByte

If you bring up Stats For Nerds from the OSD it should bring up a small box in the upper left of screen.  There it should say something like "Direct Playing" or "Transcoding" or "Direct Streaming"

Yes, I think you're right.  Some/all of these issues have been fixed.

FrostByte

Yes, it seems [emoji16]

e1f4f5f481d8cd726aa2a8f6df237f22.jpg

Ok, thanks.  That's what I thought and is what I would expect

If you choose a graphical type subtitle (PGS, etc) then by default the server will transcode the video and the subtitles will be burned into the video itself with no black border before sending.  However, if you choose a text type subtitle (srt, etc) the server will overlay the text on top and won't need to transcode.

Like Luke mentioned before I think we might have to wait until a new release comes out for 2018 to see what fixes the others have gotten already.  We are almost 30 releases behind right now I think and are missing a lot

phreatic

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

It's odd, I watched most of the way through with subtitles off, but missed something, so rewound and the black square appeared.

The Samsung/Tizen client seems a little light on controls, can I change the subtitles from graphical to text, or it that one of the things in an upcoming version?