Most devices can't see DLNA server

kingy444

kingy444

As the title describes most of my devices cannot see the DLNA server. Summarized the results from testing below. Is there any config that I can assist with or profile setup that we can follow. (Couldn't see any guides atm)

PlayTo Works

Xbox360

XboxOne

Samsung Smart TV Series 8 (2013)

DLNA Server works

Samsung Smart TV Series 8 (2013)

PlayTo Fails

Sony KDL-40HX800

Sony KDL-46EX520

WDTV Live

Phillips AV Receiver

DLNA Server Fails

Sony KDL-40HX800 (Cannot see server)

Sony KDL-46EX520 (Cannot see server)

WDTV Live (Sees Server and content but KILLS device)

Phillips AV Receiver (Can see server but not see content)
Xbox360 (Cannot see the server)
XboxOne (This one is because Microsoft are stupid)

Sony PS3  (Can see server but no content)

Further to these results you may have seen my 'KILLS device' comment. When trying to play to the WDTV Live devices via PlayTo OR DLNA server it causes the device to reboot. Not sure what it does to the device but it obviously doesn't like it.

May also be worth noteing that Windows 8 and 8.1 dont appear to pick up the DLNA Server either. Dont think many people actually browse DLNA servers through My Computer anyway (nor understand Microsoft putting it there) but figure this may be related to the xbox issue.

@@Luke I have also noticed that folders that contain no media content are treated as a video. These obviously dont play and may cause issues.

I realise this is due to a bad media structure on my behalf but i may not be the only one and should be easy enough to comment out those directories.

I basically have a folder called NEW and everything goes in there. I watch then store it. I therefore have metadata turned off on this directory as well. One thing i did notice (not sure if this is the client or server working) but my Samsung TV that works with the DLNA component sorts folders First then files (as I would expect based on a normal folder structure)

@@Luke maybe you can shed light here too. The Web Interface treats everything in alphabetical order. This isnt something we can change is it ? May be good to try and 'enforce' a standard ordering structure across the platforms. Have noticed Web is different to iPad and different again to android sorting. (dont have anything else to test on.)

Havent posted any logs as even with DLNA debug logging enabled i am just getting a bunch of 

2014-04-30 20:33:01.0125 Error - Dlna: Error updating device info
lines. No real info

Let me know where to look/start with getting these other devices up and running.
Looking forward to that pretty DLNA compliance logo  :D

kingy444

also noticed a few lines like the below whenever a device fails to play the content. Note this is straight from the log so there is no linebreak after the "DtoUtils: ServiceBase" part

2014-04-30 20:35:47.4837 Error - DtoUtils: ServiceBase2014-04-30 20:35:49.0775 Error - Dlna: Error updating device info

*edit
have just booted up the lateset dev build for some more in depth logs and attached for when hitting the WDTV Live box. It appears that once the PlayTo has been initiated the server goes nuts and continues to send the stream to the device. note the only way to stop this was to actually stop the service for mediabrowser

wdtvlive.txt

Edited by kingy444

Well, debug it. Get to the bottom of it and I'll make the change.

EZEd

I just tried DLNA last night on my Vizio TV just to see if it worked (not really interested in using it just curious).  The TV can see Media Browser, Windows Media Player on a couple of my other PCs and all 6 of my Ceton tuner cards.  The only files that it will play are from Windows Media Player.  Does this mean my TV is not a DMR? When I choose Media Browser it breaks down the folders into Music, Video and Photo but under that there are just 6 blank folders that are never populated.  I suppose these six folders represent the server locations (SMB shares) that I have identified inside of MBS?  In any case they won't populate with any actual files. The only place I can see any files using the TVs DLNA function is from Windows Media Player sharing.  Is this expected/proper behaviour?  Just wondering.

mcbarata80

I'm having the same issue with the WDTV Live.

PlayTo : Fails and shortly after the "Media Browser" service stops and has to be restarted

DLNA : WDTV finds the server and lists my library but when you play any video the WDTV reboots

Server Version 3.0.5233.40306

Xeon Dual Core

8 Gig Ram

kingy444

After testing a little more I have noticed it's not just empty folders that are picked up as a media item but all folders

kingy444

Happy to. For the devices that cant even see the server will there be somethong in the logs for them too or is there a config that needs to be changed for them ?

Well in general you want to enable server debug logging as well as dlna debug logging.

If you test with windows media player or bubbleupnp on android, you can see the series of steps in the log

- Server sees M-Search broadcast messages, and responds to them

- Client gets that, then downloads description.xml

- Client then downloads contentdirectory.xml

- Client then starts sending requests to the url ending in /Control. This is to pull down the library.

So for any given client that won't display the library, the first thing you want to find is how far along those four steps it got. For instance, if you see it downloads description.xml but not contentdirectory.xml, then that probably means there was something in the description.xml response that it didn't like.

kingy444 can you help debug a little, by analyzing requests and responses and looking for what we're sending back that might need to be changed. thanks.

mcbarata80

More info for my previous post.

WD TV Live Media Player : Firmware 1.06.43

Media Browser Server : 3.0.5233.4036

1. PlayTo : Once the WDTV has booted and on the main screen. I log onto Media Browser using (IE10) and select the WDTV as the player. Once I've tried to play a video I receive no response from either the WDTV or Media Browser.

The media browser service as stopped with the following error in the event log "The Media Browser service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s)."

2. PlayTo : Select a video to play on the WDTV via it's SMB share and once it has started playing I log onto Media Browser using (IE10) and select WDTV as the player. Select a different video to play from the library and it stops the SMB video and starts playing the selected video from IE interface.

The controls don't work as they are all greyed out.

3. DNLA : The WDTV sees media browser as a media server that is available. Once selected all my Media Browser libraries show up including folders that have not content.

Once you choose play on a selected video the WDTV live reboots itself.

See attached logs hope this helps.

server-63534672000.zip

More info for my previous post.

WD TV Live Media Player : Firmware 1.06.43

Media Browser Server : 3.0.5233.4036

1. PlayTo : Once the WDTV has booted and on the main screen. I log onto Media Browser using (IE10) and select the WDTV as the player. Once I've tried to play a video I receive no response from either the WDTV or Media Browser.

The media browser service as stopped with the following error in the event log "The Media Browser service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s)."

2. PlayTo : Select a video to play on the WDTV via it's SMB share and once it has started playing I log onto Media Browser using (IE10) and select WDTV as the player. Select a different video to play from the library and it stops the SMB video and starts playing the selected video from IE interface.

The controls don't work as they are all greyed out.

3. DNLA : The WDTV sees media browser as a media server that is available. Once selected all my Media Browser libraries show up including folders that have not content.

Once you choose play on a selected video the WDTV live reboots itself.

See attached logs hope this helps.

Thanks. We've found the problem.

mcbarata80

PlayTo and DNLA server are both working.

Player controls are still greyed out and only the volume and mute buttons are working.

Is it possible to add a ticker for once you have pressed play that you know the system is busy as it takes a couple of seconds before the video starts? Just a suggestion.

Great work guys and thanks again for the help!

Tolerant

Has there been a beta or higher release that fixes this issue yet (WDTVL SMP Playback)? Not sure if there is something I should "watch" in order to try another release or keep waiting for an 'official' release. I am very anxious to try it and help trouble shoot any further issues. Sadly using the windows default DLNA solution has left me wanting better and I am hoping this will be it ;)

only on the dev channel. if you upgrade to that you can report your feedback in the alpha area.

kingy444

Tested on the DEV channel and seems to be working now so nice work. Occasionally i keep seeing a Android 'Genie' appear as a DLNA device which is weird since i don't have DLNA on an android available. I will try to capture logs of this and update later.

For now i have uploaded logs from Sony-Bravia that cannot see Server or work with PlayTo. When trying to send a file through via PlayTo i get 'The remote server returned an error(403) forbidden' error.

IP of this device is 10.0.0.62 to assist troubleshooting. Device doesnt seem to be registering properly.

Is there any way for us to see the profile that a DLNA device is assigned ?

sonyBravia.txt