Looking for opinions on best budget-friendly offline backup system.

pmac

Currently I'm using 4 HDD's in my main PC/media server with Drivebender for a 14TB drive pool storing all of my media. Problem is, I currently don't have any redundancy or backup solution in place incase of a drive failure. I had one drive failure a few years ago, and replacing the data was a real PITA, and I'd rather not go through that again, especially since some of my drives are getting up there in age (3+ years/30,000+hrs)...

I'm very ignorant when it comes to RAID solutions, and from what I've read, some people agree that a NAS box or JBOD mirroring my media server may be the safest bet, but I'd just like the opinions of other Emby users on what their choice is for backup/redundancy/etc.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Are you asking what backup software I use? If so, I don't use any right now; just trying to find the community opinion on what the best system is for media server backups in case of a drive failure. Basically, should I build a JBOD box, or go with some kind of RAID system? Should it be NAS, or integrated (ie. External drives, etc)? I've never built a backup system before, and with so many options out there I'm not sure what would best suit my current setup...

Did you read that link, as @ started off with the same question you have?

Sorry, yes I read that link; I've looked into crashplan in the past, I was more asking for opinions on what type of hardware setup I should look into, software is another story.

Guest asrequested

Keep reading. We talk about drive pooling. Which is what I prefer. You can add to the pool. But a NAS is another option. There really isn't a perfect solution, just what's in your wheelhouse.

legallink

Unless you have significant resources or very limited bandwidth options, local backups won't compare with the value an online/cloud backup provider like crashplan provides.

Unless you have significant resources or very limited bandwidth options, local backups won't compare with the value an online/cloud backup provider like crashplan provides.

With a max upload speed of about 0.75Mbps, online backup is kind of out of the question for me lol

Guest asrequested

I'm confused. If you already are using drive pooling, you can just use backup software, and you're done. No NAS needed and better than RAID.

I'm confused. If you already are using drive pooling, you can just use backup software, and you're done. No NAS needed and better than RAID.

My current drive pool is almost full, and I was just looking for opinions on what the best/most reliable backup system would be for my setup. So are you suggesting another drive pool and some backup software would be my best bet? I'd have to get a NAS box or large USB enclosure or something, as between my media drive pool, games drive pool and system drive I have no more room in my main PC for extra drives.

Guest asrequested

My current drive pool is almost full, and I was just looking for opinions on what the best/most reliable backup system would be for my setup. So are you suggesting another drive pool and some backup software would be my best bet? I'd have to get a NAS box or large USB enclosure or something, as between my media drive pool, games drive pool and system drive I have no more room in my main PC for extra drives.

Any backup is only as good as the drives, and what redundancies you enable. The drives are pretty standard, these days. Just use enterprise drives, and then configure whatever pool redundancies you want. Apply backup software. That's what I did for a while, now I don't use a backup at all. It was getting a little expensive to keep buying all those drives. Syncback pro is what I used.

Any backup is only as good as the drives, and what redundancies you enable. The drives are pretty standard, these days. Just use enterprise drives, and then configure whatever pool redundancies you want. Apply backup software. That's what I did for a while, now I don't use a backup at all. It was getting a little expensive to keep buying all those drives. Syncback pro is what I used.

How about backing up to RAID5 NAS or similar so I've got a parity drive in the event of a failure on my backup system? That way if I get a failure on my main rig (pooled drive), it's got a copy on my NAS I can recover from, and in the event there's a failure on my NAS, I should be able to just swap out the dead drive without losing anything, correct?

Guest asrequested

Sure, that's another way to go. Personally, I don't like RAID systems. Far too inflexible. Just make sure you build it big. Adding to, or changing a RAID is not fun.

Thanks for the help. I'm still undecided which way I want to go, just kind of weighing my options right now. The only reason I mention RAID is due to having a parity drive I can just swap out without losing anything in the event of a single drive failure. I think it might be possible to do something similar on a JBOD setup with Drive Bender, but I could be mistaken. Straight up mirroring everything onto a copy of my current drive pool (It would have to be in a separate JBOD enclosure, since my rig is full right now) would certainly be the easiest route, but I'm just kind of asking around to find out if there's a better route I should look into.

Edited by pmac

Guest asrequested

But why have redundancies on a redundancy. It's a backup, you will always have a duplicate. RAID is for active systems not backup. If you lose a backup drive in a pool, replace the drive and run the backup again. And vice versa.

Yeah, that's true. I guess since I'd be starting my backup system from scratch I thought I might as well follow the mantra that "any redundancy needs it's own backup" that some people follow lol

Alright, thanks! I'll likely start building a NAS box and just do a JBOD pool on it then. At least if it's network storage I don't need to have it cluttering up my livingroom more than it already is, lol.

I literally do all of my backups manually, using two 8TB external drives that I keep separate from the PC I use for Emby Server

Although, I'm also doing this all as I learn how to. So, would a backup software also be beneficial to me?

Edited by Arly (Sprinkles)

Guest asrequested

The backup software would keep track or versions, and allow for easier restoration. Imagine you lost 20 movies, would you be able to know exactly which movies to restore? A good piece of software will manage that, for you. I don't recommend using external hard drives. They mostly use crappy desktop drives.