Some movies won't add into a collection

Twistedcloud

Deihnyx

Hello, I'm also having this issue. Rescanning didn't fix it. I will try other solutions later today.

I can add some details to the problem, which could maybe help identifying the issue.

I recently upgraded my MCU collection with the UHD versions of the movies. Each movie in the collection have different versions:

a "Bluray" rip version

a "UHD" rip version

a "1080p" ('lite') version

a "3D-SBS" version on some of them

The problem started happening with some of the movies while adding the UHD file. For some reason during the rescan the movies are moved out of the collection, and if I try to add them again, most of the time (but not always) it won't get added in the collection again.

I'm running Emby in a docker container. 4.2.1.0

Hope that helps identifying the issue.

Edited by Deihnyx

Hello, I'm also having this issue.

I can add some details to the problem, which could maybe help identifying the issue.

I recently upgraded my MCU collection with the UHD versions of the movies. Each movie in the collection have different versions:

a "Bluray" rip version

a "UHD" rip version

a "1080p" ('lite') version

a "3D-SBS" version on some of them

The problem started happening with some of the movies while adding the UHD file. For some reason during the rescan the movies are moved out of the collection, and if I try to add them again, most of the time (but not always) it won't get added in the collection again.

I'm running Emby in a docker container. 4.2.1.0

Hope that helps identifying the issue.

Hi there, can you please go over an example? Why do you feel it's not added to the collection?

Deihnyx

Hi there, can you please go over an example? Why do you feel it's not added to the collection?

Certainly.

I had the following "The Avengers" movie in my MCU collection

(folder) The Avengers (2012):

The Avengers (2012) - Bluray.mkv

The Avengers (2012) - Bluray.eng.srt

I added the UHD version + a "lite" 1080p version, and I removed the Bluray rip version (I only keep one high quality rip)

So then I had:

The Avengers (2012) - 1080p.mkv

The Avengers (2012) - 1080p.eng.srt

The Avengers (2012) - UHD.mkv

The Avengers (2012) - UHD.eng.srt

What that did was:

- "The Avengers" was removed from the collection (at least on the UI)

- When trying to add "The Avengers" in the MCU collection again from the UI, it didn't throw an error, but it didn't add it either.

- However in "Metadata Manager" I can see that there is "The Avengers" in the MCU collection. I just can't access it from the list of movies and "The avengers" still appears ungrouped.

Hope that helps :)

Happy2Play

Certainly.

I had the following "The Avengers" movie in my MCU collection

The Avengers (2012) - Bluray.mkv

The Avengers (2012) - Bluray.eng.srt

I added the UHD version + a "lite" 1080p version, and I removed the Bluray rip version (I only keep one high quality rip)

So then I had:

The Avengers (2012) - 1080p.mkv

The Avengers (2012) - 1080p.eng.srt

The Avengers (2012) - UHD.mkv

The Avengers (2012) - UHD.eng.srt

What that did was:

- "The Avengers" was removed from the collection (at least on the UI)

- When trying to add "The Avengers" in the MCU collection again from the UI, it didn't throw an error, but it didn't add it either.

- However in "Metadata Manager" I can see that there is "The Avengers" in the MCU collection. I just can't access it from the list of movies and "The avengers" still appears ungrouped.

Hope that helps :)

And which items are shown in the collection.xml?

Edited by Happy2Play

Deihnyx

And which items are shown in the collection.xml?

Apologies, I forgot to mention the 3D-SBS version,

For some reason on the collection.xml I have the same file twice:

<CollectionItem>
      <Path>/mnt/share/movies/The Avengers (2012)/The Avengers (2012) - 3D-SBS.mkv</Path>
</CollectionItem>
<CollectionItem>
      <Path>/mnt/share/movies/The Avengers (2012)/The Avengers (2012) - 3D-SBS.mkv</Path>
</CollectionItem>

What do you mean by this?

It still appears in the list of movies outside of the collection, but won't appear in the collection. 

Edited by Deihnyx

Happy2Play

Apologies, I forgot to mention the 3D-SBS version,

For some reason on the collection.xml I have the same file twice:

<CollectionItem>
</CollectionItem>
<CollectionItem>
</CollectionItem>

It still appears in the list of movies outside of the collection, but won't appear in the collection. 

I will have to start testing multi-version and collections again.

What is your library content type?  Do you save metadata with media?  If so what nfo files are in the movie folder?

But there does sound like a issue with the collection.xml.

I am guessing deleting a version and adding other versions conflicting somewhere.

Deihnyx

Library content type is movies ( I believe that's what it's called?)

I do not save anything in the movie folder. The movies volume is mounted in read only.

And sadly I tried removing / readding the movie after scan but I must have corrupted the library.db by constantly shutting down the container because it is now corrupted.

So I'm not rebuilding the DB, that will most definitely fix this problem :)

As a temporary workaround, is there a sqlite specific command you can provide to remove a specific "ghost" item (by name) from library.db? I tried to remove the items from collection.xml but they were immediately readded after a scan.

Thanks!

Edited by Deihnyx

Happy2Play

Library content type is movies ( I believe that's what it's called?)

I do not save anything in the movie folder. The movies volume is mounted in read only.

And sadly I tried removing / readding the movie after scan but I must have corrupted the library.db by constantly shutting down the container because it is now corrupted.

So I'm not rebuilding the DB, that will most definitely fix this problem :)

As a temporary workaround, is there a sqlite specific command you can provide to remove a specific "ghost" item (by name) from library.db? I tried to remove the items from collection.xml but they were immediately readded after a scan.

Thanks!

I would make copy of your library.db and explore it for copy of "The Avengers" you replaced.  I am guessing as this is database only information, the original file for "The Avengers" was the one linking to the Collection and deleting that files did not remove all traces from the database and the new files are unable to be linked to the collection.

I personally don't know of a command as there is item linking across multiple tables.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

@@Deihnyx

Are you doing or have you done a full library scan, after you made these changes?  I can sort of reproduce the behavior by adding multiversion to a existing collection, but after a Scan All libraries or Scheduled task Scan Media Libraries it resolves the issue.

Steps I took

Content type Movies with no metadata/images saved with media

Initially had Cars Collection with no multiversions

All 3 collections items appeared grouped in to collection

Went to Cars 3 folder and add "Cars 3 (2017) - 1080p.mkv" and "Cars 3 (2017) - 2160p.mkv" and deleted "Cars 3 (2017).mkv"

Real time monitoring/Refresh the Item/Refresh that library picks up the change and now "Cars 3 (2017)" is no longer Grouped into "Cars Collection"

A Full library scan is needed as that is the only time the plugin will run to check collections.  Now everything works again.

Did the exact same test without the Autoboxset plugin but used Cars 2 this time.

I ended up with Cars 2 outside the collection and but all I had to do is manually add the item to the existing collect so the collection.xml could be updated with then new item path.  

In both my test cases the 1080p version was added to the collection.xml

This was done on Windows beta 4.3.0.13 and stable 4.2.1.0.  All my tests are on relatively new databases though.

Pretty sure this goes back to migrated databases.  And what was discovered on post 38 and 40.

Edited by Happy2Play

• 2 weeks later...

@@Happy2Play

That doesn't work for me. :(

Still have multiple collections with movies missing, like said before only on multiversion movies.

I remember that I added the 2160p version first to the library.

I tried:

• moving folder out->rescan->moving folder in->rescan
  • removed movie from collection.xml -> rescan
  • changed to 1080p version in collection.xml -> rescan

But nothing works.

Example: "John Wick Chapter 2 (2017)" folder contents:

fanart.jpg
John Wick Chapter 2 (2017) - 1080p.mkv
John Wick Chapter 2 (2017) - 1080p.nfo
John Wick Chapter 2 (2017) - 2160p.mkv
John Wick Chapter 2 (2017) - 2160p.nfo
logo.png
poster.jpg

collection.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<Item>
  <ContentRating>R</ContentRating>
  <Added>3/20/19 6:14:21 PM</Added>
  <LockData>false</LockData>
  <Overview>A neo-noir action thriller film series that follows a former assassin, Jonathan 'John' Wick who come outs of retirement seeking vengeance for the theft of his vintage car and the killing of his puppy.</Overview>
  <LocalTitle>John Wick Collection</LocalTitle>
  <TmdbId>404609</TmdbId>
  <Genres>
    <Genre>Action</Genre>
    <Genre>Thriller</Genre>
    <Genre>Crime</Genre>
  </Genres>
  <Studios>
    <Studio>Summit Entertainment</Studio>
    <Studio>87Eleven</Studio>
    <Studio>DefyNite Films</Studio>
    <Studio>MJW Films</Studio>
    <Studio>Warner Bros. Pictures</Studio>
    <Studio>Thunder Road Pictures</Studio>
    <Studio>87Eleven Productions</Studio>
  </Studios>
  <CollectionItems>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>/path/movies/John Wick (2014)/John Wick (2014) - 1080p.mkv</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>/path/movies/John Wick Chapter 2 (2017)/John Wick Chapter 2 (2017) - 2160p.mkv</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>/path/movies/John Wick Chapter 3 (2019)/John Wick Chapter 3 (2019) - 1080p.mkv</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
  </CollectionItems>
  <DisplayOrder>PremiereDate</DisplayOrder>
</Item>
Edited by L3Nerd

Happy2Play

@@L3Nerd how old is your installation?  Without specific steps on a new database there is no way for me to reproduce this issue.

I guess the question would be If you created a New Library with a new folder path and place new multiversion items in this new path do you have a issues with those items in a new collection?

Edited by Happy2Play

@@Luke In my example from above "John Wick Chapter 2" is not showing up in the collection, although it's in the XML.

@@Happy2Play I guess I installed it in 2017. Will try on a new library.

Edited by L3Nerd

I just created a new library, copied over the three movie folders et voilá, all movies are now in the collection - thanks!

(Is it possible to create a new library, moving all movies to it and preserve the watched status?)

Happy2Play

I just created a new library, copied over the three movie folders et voilá, all movies are now in the collection - thanks!

(Is it possible to create a new library, moving all movies to it and preserve the watched status?)

Watched status is tracked by externalids (imdb, tmdb, tvdb).  So moving items will not affect their watched status.  Only items without externalids lose their watched status do to database ids changing when moved around.

Edited by Happy2Play

• 2 weeks later...
  • Cut the folders containing any offending movies which wouldn't add to collections, then paste them somewhere temporary
  • Delete the xml for the boxset in question
  • Rescan the movies library
  • Rename each of the folders that I'd temporarily pasted, i.e. 'Harry Potter V' into 'Harry Potter 5'
  • Re-add them to the library
  • Rescan
  • Manually remake the collection

This worked, but it's a pain to say the least.

Did this for mine that have been problematic for some time, it worked. I don't like having odd names though, and knowing I can't ever rename it properly.   

• 6 months later...
Luticus

It doesn't look like there's been a comment on this in a while and I was curious if this still being worked on? Basically in May of 2020 it's happening to me. I have a movie with a 1080 version and a 2160 version which I'm using to test if my server/clients can do 4k steaming without issue. Anyway, all other movies seem to add to collections just fine. This one though will not add via the auto collections plugin, or via manually adding the movie to the collection. It says it adds it, but when I go to the collection, it just has the other 2 movies, but not the third.

I'm using the latest stable Emby on Debian 10.

Just wanted to let you know that this is still an issue. If there are any logs or anything that may help let me know and I'll be glad to provide whatever is needed.

L3Nerd

Just wanted to let you know that this is still an issue. If there are any logs or anything that may help let me know and I'll be glad to provide whatever is needed.

Since when are you using this installation of Emby?

Like users said before, it seems like this problem has happened in a migration from a previous version.

The fix for me was easy:

I moved all movies to a new folder and then added that new folder as the movie library (you can delete the old library).

After the initial scan everything worked fine again!  :)

Edited by L3Nerd

Luticus

Yes, this is definitely an Emby that's been upgraded several times.  Do you have to move the movies or can you just remove and re-add the library?  Also are we talking about data loss here?  Watched status, ratings, favorites, etc?  Wouldn't that also break playlists and such? 

Edited by Luticus

L3Nerd

Just to be sure I renamed the folder and re-added that folder as a library - who knows what's cached (absolute paths, whatever, ...).

The watched status and everything else are supposed to rely on the external ID, like imdb - so that should not be affected.