Some movies won't add into a collection

Twistedcloud

Its a database issue i believe related to movies being multi in the past and not now - emby not clearing up after itself - leaving ghost records in the db

not had time to work through the issue to document yet

Ok, it would be great to know your theory. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Jibest

I'm also seeing this issue with multiple versions of movies not being put into collections. Is this still being looked into?

jonboyuk

Please update to the latest version of emby server. Thanks.

I've updated the server (Synology), restarted it, refreshed the Auto Box Art, Tried manually re-adding those movies that have fallen outside of a collection back in, and it still doesn't work. Is there anything I need to do to make it work?

Thanks for the info. I will keep trying to chase this down. I think at this point it is limited to a very specific situation.

jonboyuk

Thanks for the info. I will keep trying to chase this down. I think at this point it is limited to a very specific situation.

Let me know if I can do anything to help you resolve. All I do know is that is used to work, so some change in the code somewhere along the line made this occur!

• 1 month later...

i have the same problem as you did you find any solutions ?

Try moving the movie out of your library, running a full library scan, and then adding it back. Thanks.

Try moving the movie out of your library, running a full library scan, and then adding it back. Thanks.

You may also have to rename the movie filename for this to work. That's how it was for me. Removing the folder alone caused no change for me unless/until I renamed the main movie file prior to adding back to library and rescanning. Simply adding -1 to the end of the movie filename but prior to the extension fixed it (e.g. Star Wars (1977).mkv became Star Wars (1977)-1.mkv). Once added back to library and rescanned allowed for the movie to show up in the collection.

YMMV

EZEd

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Happy2Play

And that would point to broken entries in the database that are not being deleted when the item is removed from the library.  You would need to look in the database once you removed the item that doesn't work to see if there are still remanence of it.

But New media folders and libraries usually work so basically there is corruption within the current database that can not be resolved.

So are we saying this is actually fixed now, but we just need to amend some filenames, and or rebuild the library to repair the db?

Well it's been a difficult one to chase down and so far I'm attributing it to the 3.5 to 4.0 upgrade. This doesn't appear to happen with new content, so moving it out of the library and back in is a way of making it become new again.

Well it's been a difficult one to chase down and so far I'm attributing it to the 3.5 to 4.0 upgrade. This doesn't appear to happen with new content, so moving it out of the library and back in is a way of making it become new again.

...This doesn't appear to happen with new content, so moving it out of the library and back in is a way of making it become new again.

This...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Happy2Play

This is not entirely true as users have done this with no avail.  So there has to be rogue db entries that are not being removed, as new path and library do appear to fix the issues as mentioned in other topics.

So to me as long as the rogue entries exist that item/path is broke forever. 

Forgot one other step. In addition to removing the file/folder from library, renaming and rescanning, you may have to go into the actual collection xml file and remove its entry there as well. This is the other thing that Ive done in conjunction that may have an effect. I did them all together. So I dont know which one has/had the greatest influence on fixing the problem. I never did any one or two without the others. My approach is always to 1)remove file/folder from libray 2) open collection xml file in notepad and remove errant/missing title, save xml 3)rescan library 4) rename video file 5) place renamed file/folder back into main movies folder 6) rescan library 7) go to newly added renamed movie entry and add to collection(s). Seems to work without any further fuss. Inconvenient but works.

Edited by EZEd

I've a similar situation which I've now (hopefully) resolved thanks to EZEd's advice:

Library Setup:

My Movies

My Kids Movies (limited to GB-U parental rating)

My brother's movies (library points to a Qnap USB drive that holds a read only backup of my brothers content. Its his offsite backup effectively)

I get some duplicate films show up due to my brothers library which I then group with my content to avoid the duplicates appearing within Emby's Next up & Continue Watching sections.

I'd been having an issue with a collection where in the Kids profile they were unable to see one of the films within it.

It turns out that when I examined the collections xml file the path to that film was pointing to my brothers movie collection, which the Kid profile has no permission to access. Even if I removed the film from the collection and then added the film from my Kid library back into it it still showed the wrong path once the film was back in the collection.

To resolve I had to delete the collection, remove my brothers film from his library, recreate the collection, check the path now showed correctly as going to the film in the Kid movie library & then finally add his film back to his library. For some reason editing the xml directly & correcting the path did not work?

I'm hoping it does not now revert to the unwanted path, guess time will tell but maybe others with a similar setup will find this helpful.

Have actually found other examples of this now I know what to check for & found that you can simply edit the XML with the correct path.

Just need to refresh the metadata on the "Collections" library so it picks up the change.

Perhaps an option could be added to this library to tell it to favour certain library paths in the event of duplicate film detection?

Edited by Jibest

• 2 weeks later...
Happy2Play

How do you edit the xml? I thought Emby was nfo based?  :unsure:

The virtual collections reside in "\Emby-Server\programdata\data\collections" (paths are different on other OSes) and collections have always been in xml format.  But yes for media Emby only does nfo metadata.

Collections and Playlists are created in xml.

jonboyuk

The virtual collections reside in "\Emby-Server\programdata\data\collections" (paths are different on other OSes) and collections have always been in xml format.  But yes for media Emby only does nfo metadata.

Collections and Playlists are created in xml.

I can't seem to locate it on my Synology NAS. Any ideas where I might find it?

Edit *Ignore me, I found it*. SSH all the way, joy!

Anyway it seems to be sorted now.

As other have said above, I had to:

• Cut the folders containing any offending movies which wouldn't add to collections, then paste them somewhere temporary
  • Delete the xml for the boxset in question
  • Rescan the movies library
  • Rename each of the folders that I'd temporarily pasted, i.e. 'Harry Potter V' into 'Harry Potter 5'
  • Re-add them to the library
  • Rescan
  • Manually remake the collection

This worked, but it's a pain to say the least.

Also, for 'fun', I renamed one of the folders back to what it was before I'd fixed it, and it completely disappeared from the collection (post rescanning the library of course). Renaming it back to the new name brought it back! It appears as if there's some old offending data which won't be deleted on a rescan. Strange, annoying, but fixable. Thanks EZEd.

Edited by jonboyuk

• 2 weeks later...