Emby configuration settings

JaScoMa

JaScoMa

Hello..

I setup a Emby server for my son and his mother and her fiancee have a Samsung TV .  They installed the Emby App without any issue.

But, they said they weren't able to configure it nor answer the question it was asking.

I was just curious what if any these question have to do with the Emby app or is this a Samsung thing?

The Roku app was very easy to setup and it saw and found the Emby server without any issues.

Thank you..

FrostByte

I believe the only thing you have to do at first is enter the PIN given in the website if using connect, or the IP/Port if not using connect

JaScoMa

Yea that's all you need to do. Where exactly did they get stuck?

I'm uncertain as to what the question was directly.  My son's mother only said that it was asking them questions and they weren't sure what to enter.

I'd assume they wanted the IP and port number; so that'd be 111.222.333.444 port 8096?

EDIT:

She wrote:

"it wanted information we didn't know or how to get it to type it in.."

Edited by JaScoMa

Can you ask them for more specifics, or to try it again? Because the sign in wizard that we have is designed exactly the same in both apps.

JaScoMa

Confirmed with her that it's asking for the IP and port number, but for some reason, they can't enter in the information with their remote.  Everything they try won't let them enter the information in.

Hard to troubleshoot without being there; sorry.

• Like 1

FrostByte

It can be difficult depending on which remote you're using.  If at all possible try to get them to use the PIN method and connect.  Another option is maybe hooking up a USB keyboard (never tried it but should work)

Sounds like they're skipping Emby Connect. Why not just use Emby Connect and then they won't need to enter an IP address?

JaScoMa

@Frostbite - PIN method?  I'm not familiar with that step.

@@Luke - There should be another app in the Samsung SmartHub called Emby Connect?

Thank you for all your assistance and being a pain when I'm not in front of the TV to see for myself what is occurring.

No, the startup wizard of the app encourages users to sign in with Emby Connect. it uses the friendly pin code login method.

The only way you even get to the point of entering a server IP address is if you click the "Skip" button on that screen.

We are talking about the Emby app from the store, right?

• Like 1

JaScoMa

No, the startup wizard of the app encourages users to sign in with Emby Connect. it uses the friendly pin code login method.

The only way you even get to the point of entering a server IP address is if you click the "Skip" button on that screen.

We are talking about the Emby app from the store, right?

Yes, it's the app from the Samsung Smarthub.

I'll be there on Wednesday to pick up my son, so I'm hoping to look at the app and see what is happening, what settings its asking for, etc.

Thank you..

FrostByte

Should be a Tizen TV then, but the instructions are almost the same if not.

Once you get over there we will be able to help get it set up rather quickly.  There's really only one step (either use the PIN if you setup connect on the server, or enter the IP/port)

https://emby.media/connect.html

JaScoMa

Thank you for all your assistance.  I was able to get it connected.

Tried the pin method, but the server isn't associated with an emby connect account and I couldn't find the area to associate the server with the account.

And finally, the icons for showing the entering the information through the remote was messed up on the tv screen; so it was confusing.  When trying to enter the IP address of the server, it was putting emoji's in it's place, etc. See attached screen.

But I was able to figure out how to switch between letters, numbers, symbols, etc., and get the IP adddress added.

Afterwards, it would start playing the tv shows, etc., but they were running very slow and doing a lot of buffering.  Even though the programs are already encoded, is there some encoding to play on the tv?

Thank you for your help..

post-397255-0-43836300-1548283064_thumb.jpg

FrostByte

You can associate an account with connect in the server dashboard under user profile settings.  Makes it a lot easier.  That screen isn't easy to enter data with a remote :)

I assume your media was transcoding.  We might need server/ffmpeg logs and the mediainfo for the video which was buffering to see why this was happening.

This screenshot is from the Orsay app.  The remote/on-screen keyboard method is not the best.  Definitely better if you can connect a USB keyboard.

If you are stuck with using the remote, then this is how it works.  Each press of a number key on the physical remote will cycle through the letters below the image, then finally the actual number.  So, pressing 2222 will actually cycle through a,b,c,2 .  So, 4 presses of the 2 button will give you a '2', and 2 presses will give you a 'b'.  Does that help?  It is a slow process.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Can you get the model number of the TV and the version of the app which is loaded?   The TV must be older than 2 or 3 years if it's running Orsay and we should probably know which version you have to help you better.

Edited by FrostByte