Which GPU for home usage (HEVC)

Okeur75

Hi guys,

I can see a lot of people asked more or less the same question, but each case has its differences, so here I am.

I'm currently using emby for home/family usage with a really simple server described below:

• CPU : AMD FX6300
  • SSD : Samsung Evo 128G (for cache, metadata, transcoding, OS)
  • HDD : A bunch of 7200RPM in RAID6 (storage)
  • GPU : None

I did some tests about movie transcoding and came to these results:

• 1080p x265 (8 bits, bitrate 2MB/S) : Works well
  • 4k h264 (8 bits, bitrate 40MB/s) : Works well
  • 4k x265 (10 bits, bitrate 12MB/s) : Doesn't work (transcoding shows 11fps in Emby dashboard, CPU reaches 100% etc.)

So it seems that my CPU can't handle the 10bits video and I don't have any hardware acceleration as shown below.

5c4468d81643b_transcoding.png

Question is :

Which GPU should I use to be able to transcode at least 1 (and at max 2) 4k hevc 10bits video ?

I came accross this website while browsing this forum : https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

And I was thinking about the GTX1050 but I wanted to double check with you before;

Thank you guys !

legallink

I’m general, I would focus more on end clients that can play hevc natively than a GPU. Any modern gpu will transcode 1 hevc stream. 2 gets harder and that depends on the file embedded in it (4K vs say 480p)

Thanks for your reply.

However I have no control over the end clients. Some are using their ipads, some the android apps, some the Samsung TV emby app, some computers...

So it's the server which must handle everything.

Guest asrequested

It's not that it's 10 bit, it's that HEVC is a lot to handle to begin with, and at 1080 there isn't too much data for your CPU to handle. 4K is four times bigger that 1080, and in HEVC, that's a big task. The GTX 1050 should get you there, as long as you remember that it can only handle simultaneous transcodes. So if you've already got two 1080 transcodes happening and then someone wants to transcode a 4K, then that will still go through the CPU. 

Luke, I remember reading something about using multiple GPUs. Did that get introduced?

Currently you can prioritize the GPU in Emby, but we do not load balance between multiple GPUs. It is planned for the future though.

It's not that it's 10 bit, it's that HEVC is a lot to handle to begin with, and at 1080 there isn't too much data for your CPU to handle. 4K is four times bigger that 1080, and in HEVC, that's a big task. The GTX 1050 should get you there, as long as you remember that it can only handle simultaneous transcodes. So if you've already got two 1080 transcodes happening and then someone wants to transcode a 4K, then that will still go through the CPU. 

Luke, I remember reading something about using multiple GPUs. Did that get introduced?

Ok thank you, so the issue is HEVC + 4K and not only 4K or HEVC. I could not find any movie 4K HEVC 8 bits so that's why I thought the problem relied on the bit depth.

I have read carefully the nvidia matrix link and I understood the limitation of the 2 simultaneous transcoding, it should be ok for me as at max 3 people are using Emby in parallel, and not all are watching 4K movie.

Thanks guys

legallink

Ok thank you, so the issue is HEVC + 4K and not only 4K or HEVC. I could not find any movie 4K HEVC 8 bits so that's why I thought the problem relied on the bit depth.

I have read carefully the nvidia matrix link and I understood the limitation of the 2 simultaneous transcoding, it should be ok for me as at max 3 people are using Emby in parallel, and not all are watching 4K movie.

Thanks guys

4K is a problem by itself regardless of container. Hevc isn’t easy either which makes the combo tough.

Baenwort

Thanks guys

If you need a test video there is an open source test video collection at: http://jell.yfish.us/ it's all the same video at various encodes.  There is also another resource for a wide range of test clips at: https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples also.

Edited by Baenwort
  • Like 1

Armageus

Currently you can prioritize the GPU in Emby, but we do not load balance between multiple GPUs. It is planned for the future though.

With regards to NVidia cards, as I understand it load balancing won't help, as it's a driver limitation that limits NVENC to 2 simultaneous transcodes (so essentially a 2nd card would sit ideal if the 1st is already transcoding 2 streams)

• 5 weeks later...

Hello guys,

Just a quick post to inform you I bought the NVIDIA GTX 1050 and it's working pretty well. Some information for those wondering:

1. You need to install the drivers from Nvidia site and not from the repo (I assume you are on a Linux distro). The drivers in the repo are outdated and NVDEC won't be available for you, at least that was the message I was getting. So go directly to https://www.geforce.com/drivers and download your whatever.run
  2. About the perf difference I did not take a screenshot before installing the card, but I was decoding at 7 fps. Now it's more like 100.

5c6ec27d50ff6_emby.png

Quick question though. I am able to decode only one movie at once on the GPU. If I'm playing a second media in HEVC which requires transcoding, the second movie goes to the GPU. But I've always read that I would be able to decode 2 streams in parallel. Do you know why ?

5c6ec5e8d9ac9_emby2.png

There could be another reason why it used software. We'd have to look at an example in detail. Thanks.

Hmmm not sure why but I was testing to get you some real example and it worked (see screenshot below). Nevermind...

5c6ef726c0cf4_batmanchristineok.png

And I confirm this time a 3rd playback goes software and not hardware this time.