Emby Theater Desktop LIVE TV Spinning Circle on multiple machines

howzz1854

howzz1854

up until last night, the Live TV was still working fine, but this just started today, all i get now is spinning circle when i go to watch Live TV. 

at first i thought it was because the new server update. but according to the server history, it was updated to version 4 two days ago. and live TV was working just fine all the way up to last night. which tells me that it's likely the Desktop Theater app. 

when i watch live TV directly from the web interface it works. but just doesn't work in Theater Desktop app. i can't and don't want to use the web app. 

went into another machine in the house and connect the Emby Theater Desktop from another machine to the server. the same thing. spinning circle when click on any channel. 

paid premium customer here. 

can you please look into this.  

howzz1854

here is the log file. 

as you can see towards the bottom, it tried to open channel 4.1 and then i can't decipher anything after that. 

evetually i just manually close the Desktop app since the spinning circle just never gets anywhere. 

if it helps the Emby Theater desktop app is installed on the same machine as the server program. it's an HTPC. 

but as said, i tried to access from another machine in the house with another Emby Theater Desktop app installed, same thing happened. the other machine was also able to access live tv just prior to today. 

Log.txt

howzz1854

i tried that multiple times. still the same thing. spinning circle when trying to watch through Emby Theater Desktop app. 

although something strange happened. started THIS afternoon, the other machine in the house started to connect to the server (HTPC) without a problem with the Desktop App. but the HTPC itself still cannot connect and still gets the spinning circle, even though the HTPC itself is the server. 

i know it's requesting stream from the HD Homerun tuner because one of the tuner LED lights up when i click on the channel and attempt to watch it. however, just spinning circle, and i even see the down stream LAN network speed of 1.8 MB/s. so the stream is being downloaded through the LAN from the tuner, just not playing through the Emby Desktop. but through the web browser, it plays. 

i also tried reinstalling emby desktop on both machines. the HTPC still doesn't watch LIVE TV. 

here is another log file. you'll see that the 2nd machine in the house is able to connect remotely, while the local machine HTPC still struggles. 

Log (1).txt

May not be related as I am using NextPVR but when I had this problem I found that it was because the EPG was stale. I changed the scheduled scan from every 24 hours to every 8 hours and Live TV now works perfectly (albeit with a delay when changing channels).

howzz1854

May not be related as I am using NextPVR but when I had this problem I found that it was because the EPG was stale. I changed the scheduled scan from every 24 hours to every 8 hours and Live TV now works perfectly (albeit with a delay when changing channels).

thanks for the suggestion. i am now using Emby's default EPG, and it doesn't allow you to set any custom date range for download. so that doesn't seem to be the problem. 

howzz1854

Make sure you haven't suddenly got some kind of security that's scanning or blocking the stream.

unfortunately no additional security software installed. i've even tried manually adding Emby Desktop to the Windows 10 exception list, and still no luck. 

howzz1854

strangely if i download HD Homerun's default app from Sillicon dust, LiveTV works just fine through that app. but this doesn't really fix the problem. 

so something tells me that the HTPC's emby Desktop just isn't working right. 

is there some kind of cache i can delete? 

i read something about loop-back problems with running client and server on the same machine. is there something i can do in that regard? i know that it's supposed to only affect WIndows app store client, and this only started happening two days ago, but i am willing to try anything at this point. 

howzz1854

Is there a way to integrate the HD Homerun program with Emby. I actually quite like the HD Homerun app. It's fast and allows you to scroll through the guide while you watch.

Guest asrequested

I'm assuming that when you reinstalled, you chose the option to completely remove it? If so, try again, but this time reboot the machine after uninstall. Then check the folder has be deleted. Delete if it hasn't, then reinstall. Other than that, I'm just about out of ideas. TV is run directly in mpv. You can also test playing directly in mpv and not through Theater. To so this, after installation, double click on the mpv in the installation folder, open your hdhr setup app, go to the channels and drag 'n' drop one on mpv.

howzz1854

i found the problem you guys. thanks for all of your suggestions everyone. 

the problem lies with the latest server update 4.002 that broke External Player coding. 

prior to 4.002, if Emby Desktop is set to use External Player to play all Video files, Live TV remains to be played with MPV (unless if playing back an already recorded show). when playing an already recorded show, Emby launches external player since technically speaking, that is a video file. however, prior to 4.002, when you're watching live, it used to play with MPV and everything was fine. however, since the latest update 4.002, when watching live TV, Emby attempts to connect to external player. 

basically i can duplicate this problem with a fresh install of Emby Desktop with all settings erased connecting to 4.002 server. when it starts out fresh with all default settings, it plays live tv fine. but soon as i setup external player with MPC-HC for video files, live TV gets infinite spinning circle. the HD Homerun tuner stream is being downloaded, but player never launches. 

this needs to be fixed. since now i am having to resort to using HD Homerun's dedicated app for watching tv, and having to close that app and manually open Emby when i want to playback any video or browse my library for anything else. 

@@Luke for visibility

Edited by howzz1854

That's interesting, thanks for the info. I'll try to look at this soon. For now I would just remove the external player setup. Thanks.

howzz1854

for now i am using the HD Homerun app. since i really want to keep the external solution. to me video render quality is first and foremost priority. side to side comparison MadVR vs MPV's internal renderer, MadVR still provides better detail with better sharpness. MPV is getting better with each iteration i've noticed. the latest version is more detailed than previous ones, but still falls short. But since MadVR option inside Emby is no longer an option, i am pit against choosing video quality vs convenience. i decided to go with video quality. i hope this gets fixed soon, or that MadVR option gets added back. otherwise, once my annual premium membership is up, i see very little reason to renew consider my HDHomerun stand alone app already provides live TV with DVR. and i've figured out a way to program fast switching between Emby and HDHomerun on my MCE remote without any fancy plugins inside Emby. 

but if this gets fixed, it'll be better to keep everything in one place as oppose to switching between HD Homerun app and Emby all the time. 

but most ideally, i would hope an additional renderer option of MadVR can be added back, that way i can kill the external MPC player altogether. one can hope. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
lightsout

I ran into this same issue yesterday. Had to disable the external player to get live TV to load. When I did it loaded up in a couple seconds, before that I just had the spinning circle of death. :D

howzz1854

i really couldn't wait any longer. was told that this would be looked into soon, but the two subsequent updates didn't address this problem. and i really needed to catch up on shows. so i let my subscription lapsed and paid for HDHomrun's app so i could get live TV working. until this is fixed, my money is parked elsewhere. :P

howzz1854

that doesn't fix the problem. people use external player because Emby doesn't support MadVR, and native HDR meta passthrough. if those two things are supported, i would have no reason to use external player, but they're not. and i am sure there're other reasons that other people use external players for. 

it's your product, you choose what you want to support, nobody can make you. But in the end, customers decide what they want to pay for. until this is fixed, i am not going to continue paying for it. 

Edited by howzz1854